Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

battery charging

Options
  • 05-07-2010 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

i have a 30w/ 15v /1.5 amp charger that came with a 'battery quad'

i want to replace the existing 12v/7AH batteries(2 paralleled) with 1- 45AH 12v battery

can i use the same charger ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Are they all lead acid batteries? By the sounds of it they are. The charger should be grand, lead acid batteries are quite robust and the chargers quite simple.

I'm guessing your replacement car battery is a car battery. You won't get the full capacity from it, as it's not a deep cycle battery. But probably will be good enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    i have a 30w/ 15v /1.5 amp charger that came with a 'battery quad'

i want to replace the existing 12v/7AH batteries(2 paralleled) with 1- 45AH 12v battery

can i use the same charger ?

thanks

That will work perfectly, it will just take longer to charge. Lead acid batteries usually have optimum charge rate of c/10 or 45AH/10= 4.5 amp charging rate for 45AH one. So it should take 10 hours. At 1.5 amps it would take 30 hours. Car batteries are not deep discharge as said there by d.dilbert, and are usually only recommended to discharge to 80% so only get 9AH out of a 45AH one because thats all that a car would need as it only has very heavy use during starting, and is kept charged by driving. It will of course discharge more than this but that shortens the number of charge-discharge cycles quickly. They are 45AH type capacity mainly to be able to deliver high short term currents. Deep discharge ones of that capacity would be much better suited to electric quad.

Advertisement