Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone in/been to Nz?

Options
  • 05-07-2010 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

So, my girlfriend turns to me yesterday and asks me what i thought of going down to New Zealand for a year? Hmmm, a few months ago she turned to me exactly, the same way, and asked me what i thought of going to Asia? Here i am in Asia.

I just wondered what criteria do you need to have in order to get visa? and do you need a load of money going in or is that just for Oz?

We have no ties, no Jobs, no pets to go home too, so i guess it might be a good idea seeing as we are so close here, get a cheap flight to Oz and then NZ or direct to NZ.

Clearly i could just ask people here traveling in Asia, or do research myself, but i am getting addicted to this website. I suppose it's really laziness.

Sure let us know if you have anything to say

JAck

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

So, my girlfriend turns to me yesterday and asks me what i thought of going down to New Zealand for a year? Hmmm, a few months ago she turned to me exactly, the same way, and asked me what i thought of going to Asia? Here i am in Asia.

I just wondered what criteria do you need to have in order to get visa? and do you need a load of money going in or is that just for Oz?

We have no ties, no Jobs, no pets to go home too, so i guess it might be a good idea seeing as we are so close here, get a cheap flight to Oz and then NZ or direct to NZ.

Clearly i could just ask people here traveling in Asia, or do research myself, but i am getting addicted to this website. I suppose it's really laziness.

Sure let us know if you have anything to say

JAck

Can’t speak much about NZ as I was there about 11 years ago when I was 18 but I loved it. You would probably be best off getting an Air Asia flight to Australia and then a cheep flight from there to New Zealand. I hear that the one year working holiday visa is just as easy to get for NZ as the one for OZ. You should have a fare bit of money though to see you through until you find jobs. Its a lot more expensive then most parts of Asia!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Go for it! Best country in the world. But have a plan for jobs etc. Get a base, stay there and work and earn/save.

But why do you want to go to NZ in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

jank wrote: »
    Go for it! Best country in the world. But have a plan for jobs etc. Get a base, stay there and work and earn/save.

We don't have that thing for Auz that everyone has. Plus i've met some great Kiwis and some, how to be polite, less than favourable Aussies. Other that that i have no real reason, just to go and see the place, meet a mate of mine down there, not be in Ireland.

I have a contact for a Job already, on a whim, but it's very shaky. I know what you mean about getting work Asap or having money, can't live on 15 euro a day there. There's no money restrictions with your bank account then??

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Don't think they check your funds when you enter the country unless you're coming from a poor country or something. If you're Irish you're low risk and will probably walk in easily. Best be safe than sorry though.

I always found that Australians go by this so called 'laid back' vibe but where differences arise they tend to be difficult, and take themselves quite seriously. Kiwis on the other hand are very accepting and enthusiastic, pretty positive people. It's one of the most remarkable places for cultural diversity with Mauri, Islanders & Asians integrating. Because it's a small population it is more easily influenced by outside media, culture, politics etc than bigger countries like Australia so the people are quite open minded.

It's not the most impressive country on the face of it (apart from the tourist attractions which are spectacular). I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. The people live quite modestly and I find there's a nice positivity. Personally I really like it, but the major drawback is it's so far from Europe.

Quick guide: Auckland is a large spread out city and people say you need a car to get around if you live there. Economically more advanced than the other cities but not really suited to someone on a WHV. Wellington is about the size of Cork with a lot of theatres, music & students, & a big movie production scene (lots of so called film makers). Christchurch is around the same size but more spread out and full of parks. More of an outdoors place & closer to the great outdoors of the South Island. You could also go to Queenstown to skee and drink yourself silly for a year.

Rugby World Cup is here in 2011 & there is apparently a shortage of skilled chefs, nurses, IT staff to support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

jank wrote: »

Everything he said - + Wellington is probably the best city in the world (even if it is freezing and has been raining for what feels like months) -

Although coming here (or Oz) straight after Asia can be a bit of a shock...especially if you come in Winter so you would need to be prepared. When we landed in Sydney a few years back (after few months in Asia) it was a raining Monday morning...we spent the first week looking at travel agents for flights back! So be warned - if you land in NZ anytime soon you will probably feel the same...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Been in Wellington two years now and have another two years left on skilled migrant visa that my employer helped me get. Work in IT. Moneys not great but lifestyle is amazing. As above if you can get through the winter the rest of the year is great for an outdoor life thats just not possible in Ireland. I've travelled around Austrailia and never made the connection that I have done with NZ and its people. DIY and "she'll be right" attitudes to old stuff is great. No big credit fuelld recession here becuase people have older better maintaned stuff then tons of new things they dont really own.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pygmypossum

Jack...

I say go for it!! This is the best time to experience life down under - without the major ties at home and with the job situation / economy being the way it currently is in Ireland...

I am currently living in Melbourne, I have been here for over 19 months now. I came here after spending a year living in Christchurch NZ.

I adored my year in NZ, I worked for 9 months in the one job (the one year working holiday visa in NZ doesn't restrict your time with one employer to 6 months like the Aussie WHV does - which can definitely make things more difficult for most when job hunting) and I spent the other few months travelling around the country. I work in health care - there are plenty of jobs in this field, and my partner is a chippy and he also always had work in NZ, despite a lack of transport/tools, which made thing more difficult for him when job seeking in Oz.

I loved the people in NZ, very laid back, easy going, outdoorsy type (in Christchurch anyway...) and it is a beautiful place to live. However...as in terms of wages...not so fantastic. Wages are better in Australia by far in my opinion (which makes it easier to save for various things) and I absolutely love Melbourne...there were times in Christchurch where I wondered where all the young people were (I mean under 35!) and at times felt quite isolated over there...Kiwi social circles can be hard to break into and I have found it much easier to make friends here in Melbourne...

Having experienced what I have I would now prefer to live/work in Australia and take my holidays when I can in NZ!!!

In terms of money...I think it is 4200 NZ $ and approx 5000 AU$ respectively you are expected to have on entering the country...we were not asked to demonstrate this however I do think you need it, as it can be very expensive to get yourself set up (budget for the unemployed periods and deposits and living expenses etc - not cheap at all, and a shock to the system coming from SE Asia!). Also, things maybe getting tighter re visa's on entering Aus in particular...
    We don't have that thing for Auz that everyone has. Plus i've met some great Kiwis and some, how to be polite, less than favourable Aussies.
    Aussies just take getting used to ;):D

Melbourne tempts me a lot as well actually, and I havent even been there! Sydney and Brisbane were okay but i've heard great things about Melbourne and hopefully will stop there on my way home at Xmas for a look. Seems to have a good mix of culture and stuff. Is the health board large there and being funded well?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pygmypossum

Melbourne is truly a wonderful city...when I moved here initially I was pining for NZ however I soon settled into the swing of things! Not a cheap city by any means, can be expensive to rent, and go out...but you soon get wise and savvy to that, especially when traveling!
    Great Health care system really - of course the Aussies complain but compared with the Irish HSE over the last few years they are doing well...again re jobs, if you had residency (+/- experience) I think there is plenty of jobs in health care to be had...but on a WHV or sponsorship I think you have to look outside the main cities (maybe an hour or so outside commuting time at least - unless you had valuable experience +/- a bit of luck) as these are the areas that find it harder to get staff. There is plenty of competition for the city jobs :)

I've got some good healthcare IT experience that might go down well as a lot of its bespoke to medical stuff like PACs. Might be worth a look next year :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement