Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Stone wall

Options
  • 05-07-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Looking for a price to build a stone wall at the front of the house. Wall will be constructed of Connemara granite and the measurements I got from the guy were 55sq meters with 6 pillars.

Anyone got an idea what it would cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Folks,

Looking for a price to build a stone wall at the front of the house. Wall will be constructed of Connemara granite and the measurements I got from the guy were 55sq meters with 6 pillars.

Anyone got an idea what it would cost?

thats like buying a bottle of wind from aldi you will get one for a fiver ,if you dont know any better you will be happy with it .

55sqm + piers . i would charge about @60 euro sqm , if there is plenty of cornerstones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

jwshooter wrote: »
    thats like buying a bottle of wind from aldi you will get one for a fiver ,if you dont know any better you will be happy with it .

55sqm + piers . i would charge about @60 euro sqm , if there is plenty of cornerstones.

Hiya,

The guy quoted us 3,000 for the job and did mention we could get it cheaper elsewhere if we wanted. Was just wondering what the norm is. He did the stone on the house and did a great job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

at that price the man is looking after you .

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FergusD

For comparison purposes, my stonemason was 45/sq metre.

FergusD wrote: »
    For comparison purposes, my stonemason was 45/sq metre.

Where are you based Fergus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FergusD

I'm in Westmeath, the guy is based in Longford and I'm very happy with his work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mendel

I bargained our stone mason down to about 70 euro sq metre. Am confident though that he is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

I paid 90 euro per m2 but it was a dry stone finish, didnt charge for window openings just the reveals, and loads of people have commented on the work which was superb.

I cut corners elsewhere but this was money well spent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

He did the stone on the house and did a great job.

If he did the stone on the house, get him to do the stone wall - otherwise a different Stonemason's work could look different - this could look awful.

I got 3 quotes last year, each worked out at approx €40/sqm. Each Stonemason was excellent - I'd seen all their work. Dry stonewalling might be more expensive, as would brick corners to reveals or pier corners etc. I'd assume granite is harder to work and therefore more expensive.

If you think the quote is a lttle high try to negoitate but remember good stonework is like good plastering - its visible for life. Bad stonework could drive you mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I paid €55 sq m for my wall.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Thanks folks. Gives me a good idea of what to expect to pay for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

just got a price of 30 per sq meter

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

gally74 wrote: »
    just got a price of 30 per sq meter
    Hi there, any chance you could pm me the details of the guy who gave you that price... did he do the job for you in the end...
    I'm just a few miles from there and best price I've got is 45sq/mtr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Are those prices including the stone and the stone work? Or just the stonework?
    The quote I got is working out at 120euro a sqm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

All these quotes above are for labour only at €30 - 45 per sqm. (At least mine are)

Stone material costs extra and depends on the stone you want - limestone, granite or sandstone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

RKQ wrote: »
    All these quotes above are for labour only at €30 - 45 per sqm. (At least mine are)

Stone material costs extra and depends on the stone you want - limestone, granite or sandstone etc.

Thanks, thats a decent price. I budgeted about €35 per sq m and about €1000 euro for stone, for a 30m & 4.5 foot high wall.

Just one more question, did those labour prices above include VAT?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

Bumping this old thread for few lols. I would like to see them walls that where built for 30-45sq meter. Anyone building walls for this price will be throwing them up. Dry jointed walls should start at 60sqm upto 90sq meter. One thing about stone walls, never choose a mason because hes cheaper than another one because once its up, theres no going back. This country is litterd with crap looking stone walls and anyone paying 30 a wall, cant expect a decent wall. Maybe a drystone field wall for 30sq meteres but never a stonewall that fronts a garden or on gables.

Anyone whos posted on this thread who had walls done, can they please post pics of it for reference so others can see how they look so others can see what one would get for 30-120sq meter. as the old saying goes, you pay peanuts, you get monkies!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bim bam

shugy wrote: »
    Bumping this old thread for few lols. I would like to see them walls that where built for 30-45sq meter. Anyone building walls for this price will be throwing them up. Dry jointed walls should start at 60sqm upto 90sq meter. One thing about stone walls, never choose a mason because hes cheaper than another one because once its up, theres no going back. This country is litterd with crap looking stone walls and anyone paying 30 a wall, cant expect a decent wall. Maybe a drystone field wall for 30sq meteres but never a stonewall that fronts a garden or on gables.

Anyone whos posted on this thread who had walls done, can they please post pics of it for reference so others can see how they look so others can see what one would get for 30-120sq meter. as the old saying goes, you pay peanuts, you get monkies!

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

so i saw this thread and am looking to get two walls down 15 meters long each... would like them to be 6 foot high...

how much do you think this would cost?

jobless wrote: »
    so i saw this thread and am looking to get two walls down 15 meters long each... would like them to be 6 foot high...

Where in the country are you. what type of spec wall you want ie- random rubble, flat top bottom bedded, sqs in wall or all long flat, maybe a mixture of both. do you want 2 on 1, 1 on 2(traditional way) , dry wall or motared. Do you want the wall capped or uncapped and if its capped,what spec because capping starts between 30-75 a linear mtr.

You have near 30sq meters of wall, if its single sided then it could start at 50 a mtr upto 90 depending what finish you want. If its smallishflat stone, expectto pay between 70-90 a mtr because once masons go over 1mtr, the price goes up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 332 ✭✭mcneil

Just seen this thread pop up on main forum. got stonewall built in the west. the guy did it for 75euro a sq mtr and i must say, im very pleased with it. everyone who sees it comments on how good it is. his phone number is. Will Pm you his details. Hes in castlebar but travels 1.5hours away for work so if your nearby, give him a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bim bam

Between €4500 and €5k id say

bim bam wrote: »
    Between €4500 and €5k id say

labour - 2250
    stone 2 andhalf load 1500
    sand-1 load 400
    concrete 300
    block 350
    cement- 200-350

Where in the country are you. what type of spec wall you want ie- random rubble, flat top bottom bedded, sqs in wall or all long flat, maybe a mixture of both. do you want 2 on 1, 1 on 2(traditional way) , dry wall or motared. Do you want the wall capped or uncapped and if its capped,what spec because capping starts between 30-75 a linear mtr.

You have near 30sq meters of wall, if its single sided then it could start at 50 a mtr upto 90 depending what finish you want. If its smallishflat stone, expectto pay between 70-90 a mtr because once masons go over 1mtr, the price goes up.

sorry only coming back to this now...

I'm a complete novice to this so not sure what those types of wall are(any guides i can use?)... So we have neighbours either side so would like to have it plastered both sides at least... with some sort of capping.... im not looking for anything fancy because the budget is quite tight

mcneil wrote: »
    Just seen this thread pop up on main forum. got stonewall built in the west. the guy did it for 75euro a sq mtr and i must say, im very pleased with it. everyone who sees it comments on how good it is. his phone number is. Will Pm you his details. Hes in castlebar but travels 1.5hours away for work so if your nearby, give him a call.

any chance you could throw up a few pics?

I'm a complete novice to this so not sure what those types of wall are(any guides i can use?)... So we have neighbours either side so would like to have it plastered both sides at least... with some sort of capping.... im not looking for anything fancy because the budget is quite tight

Stone and plastered or all plastered?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

Stone and plastered or all plastered?
    which ever is the cheaper :)

boardie100 wrote: »
    which ever is the cheaper :)

Plastered wall is obliviously cheaper but wont look anything as good as a stonewall

any chance you could throw up a few pics?

I will do it over xmass holidays for you. The guy is celticworks in mayo. He takes his time and is very neat. Not only does he do stone, he's excellent at a few other construction jobs. He actually built a garage for us, plastered it. Also called him back to install a wet room and is very neat and tidy at the tiling to. He's in huge demand now things have picked up so I don't think you'll get him untill after the summer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement