Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off road travel system?

Options
  • 05-07-2010 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

There is alot of threads about buggys but they seem a bit old. I am looking for an off road travel system but there is so much choice out there I haven't a clue. Was thinking maybe the Graco Quattro Tour Sport.

Seems like a good one but the down sides are its big and bulky. Has anyone any other idea's? We do alot of walking in woods and stuff to need to be good for that.

Thanks
    Anto

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maxi cosi mura 4 is a fantastic off road buggy.
    My baba is 18 months and I am still in love with it as is she.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Big wheels, air tyres is what you want. Downsite is they aren't as compact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0EgB1nyiiA&feature=channel

Maxi cosi mura 4 looks a good compromise, if you still want to fold it compact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baE-9E5VVCk&feature=related

Solid wheels like the Graco Quattro Tour Sport (solid wheels) I wouldn't get for off road. Sure you can do it, but it far harder work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psdssPrdPjE

As for punctures, We've never got one. But carry a compressed gas canister kit just in case. The ones cyclists use instead of a pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I had the Quattro Tour Delux, very bulky but very smooth ride and comfy for baby....on a road. No way is the quattro tour suitable for off road.

Have since changed to the iCandy apple and I couldn't recommend it more, the wheels are suitable for any type of terrain, I have personally pushed it accross muddy bumpy fields while baby has slept soudly!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I agree with the Quattro tour deluxe being awful off road.
    Pneumatic tyres are a must,the mura comes with a puncture repair kit and a pump:)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

I have the Teutonia Spirit, it's a three wheeler with foam wheels so you will never get a puncture. It's a german make and is supposed to be the Mercedes of buggys. There are many stockists in Ireland. You can attach a pram, maxi cosy car seat and buggy part for when baby gets older. I have it two years and now i have my new born in it with the pram part. I live in a rural area and it's ideal for rough terrain. The Teutonia Fun System is smaller and it also has foam wheels

• Advertisement

Try riding a bike with foam wheels then one with tubes.

BostonB wrote: »
    Try riding a bike with foam wheels then one with tubes.

Two totally different forms of transport Boston,the weight of a grow man or woman might have something to do with how foam preforms over tubes. All i know is tube on bikes and push chairs last no time on open roads. Two years with foam and no problems.

If its better with a heavy weight, then it will be better with a light weight.

Thats just logic.

BostonB wrote: »
    If its better with a heavy weight, then it will be better with a light weight.

Thats just logic.
    The whole point of having foam is so you want get a flat wheel while out walking you child.
    Thats common sense
    A foam tyre will not go flat and tube one will, thats logic. From experiance we have found that because of such light weights involved that there is no advantage in a tube tyre over foam.
    If there was a heavy weight in a push chair i would agree with you but there is not. Unless your still pushing your 15 year old around:p

Well for a 2yr old its 2~3 stone plus what ever else you have in it. You'd notice it on a rough trail or a hill. If you don't then thats great. Inflated tyres and bigger wheels just roll better, especially over stones, root etc. Thats why jogger buggies have them.

Actually we often do have a 6yr old in a buggy as they have a hip problem. But a 6yr isn't much heavier than a toddler tbh. Its the combined weight where you really notice it. We also have a double, and sometimes have 2 in the buggy and a third on a buggy board. Though the buggy board only works on a smooth surface. You really notice the different then.

We haven't found any issues with flats or punctures. I commute on a bike and I don't find punctures a problem on that either. I think thats way over stated (bikes or buggies) unless your route is regularly over broken glass or thorns. Mind you theres a lot who struggle with a cheap pump and have no idea how to fix a puncture. If theres a cyclist in the family its a non issue tbh.

Hey ifs foam filled works for you thats great. The OP is hearing different opinions. Job done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement