Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just unlocked my Phenom II X2 into an X4

Options
  • 05-07-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

Words cannot describe how happy I feel :)

Running Prime95 now as a stress-test.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Sweet, must dig out the quad core I have and build the machine I got it for.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Lucky ****! :D:P Over half the cut-down CPUs have damaged cores and cant be unlocked, and many of the rest have stability issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Yup :)

It passed the 8k test in Prime95, it if passes the 10k I'm going to leave it unlocked.

Passed the 10k test, it's been going on for about 40 minutes, is that long enough?

Final stability test in Prime 95 is random Small FFTs on all cores for ~8 hours :o:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Congrats! Which one did you get? Black Edition overclocks super easy, for extra :D. Got mine 4 cores roasting for 6 hours in prime95, no probs, even on standard bog amd cooler.

Congrats! Which one did you get? Black Edition overclocks super easy, for extra :D. Got mine 4 cores roasting for 6 hours in prime95, no probs, even on standard bog amd cooler.

Black Edition, but now the motherboard has decided to lock the cores again, gonna reboot and see if that fixes it.

Nope, seems to be random when it decides to unlock it, gonna try updating the BIOS later through Q-Flash (before it loads BIOS)

Updated to the latest BIOS revision and it's working fine now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Passed the 10k test, it's been going on for about 40 minutes, is that long enough?
    Do you only use your PC for 40 minutes at a time?

• Advertisement

DAMMIT! It won't unlock some times, soemtimes when I boot up it is unlocked, other times it's not.

At least with the latest BIOS update it's more often that it is unlocked

@Unregistered, I'll leave it on today for like, four hours then while I'm away. If it's unstable, what'll happen?

Ok, this is starting to piss me off, after 5 shutdowns and boot-ups, it still won't unlock again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Ok, this is starting to piss me off, after 5 shutdowns and boot-ups, it still won't unlock again.
    Are you trying to do too much, too soon by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

DAMMIT! It won't unlock some times, soemtimes when I boot up it is unlocked, other times it's not.

At least with the latest BIOS update it's more often that it is unlocked

@Unregistered, I'll leave it on today for like, four hours then while I'm away. If it's unstable, what'll happen?
    the program will just stop and kick back an error

@ Unregistered: What do you mean>? I am not OC'ing at the same time if that's what you mean.

@Massy: Thanks :)

Shot off a message to Gigabyte Customer Support, let's see what they have to say.

So, GIGABYTE support gave me the latest Beta BIOS FDd, said to give it a shot.

Did 5 boots with Core Unlocking enabled on Beta BIOS, 4 of them unlocked succesfully :)

Well, it certainly unlocks FAR more often than it used to, still occasionally requires a few reboots though :)

Just checked in HWMonitor, I figured out the reason why this particular Quadcore was sold as a dualcore. It uses 178W of power D:

Also, the max it reaches on Blend is 63C, did I put too much paste on? Should I take some off?

EDIT, that's TMPIN1 that reaches those temps, TMPIN2 reaches about 52.

• Advertisement

Sorry for posting 7 times in a row (!), but I got it running for 2 hours stable in Prime95 before I stopped it to go to bed and watch a movie, gonna give 3.6 a shot tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I unlocked mine too but i only get 3 cores working but they boot everytime. It idles about 25c cant remember what it is under pressure but its not high at all. i ran plenty of tests with prime95 and was fine, ive being using it as a tri-core now for months

So, tried Prime95 when locked at stock speeds, TMPIN2 is a little below CORE temperature, but not far above it like TMPIN1.

I idle at like 30 and load at 41. Is this good for the V8? Or should I re-apply the thermal paste?

OK, TMPIN2 is nearly spot-on, unlike TMPIN1 which is like, 10 degrees above CORE. I can live with 55C unlocked :)

Tried 3.6gHz, BSOD'd the first time, reset the PC the second with a slight voltage increase. The highest stable I tried is 3.4, I think I'll leave it at that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

why do they sell cpus with cores locked?

nuxxx wrote: »
    why do they sell cpus with cores locked?

Sometimes they don't work right, for instance, mine uses 178.2 watts of power, much more than they are designed for, And sometimes they lock them because of demand for dual-cores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Sometimes they don't work right, for instance, mine uses 178.2 watts of power, much more than they are designed for, And sometimes they lock them because of demand for dual-cores.

With higher power comes extra heat, cant see how this chip hasnt melted when pulling that amount of power.

Put a slight OC on an i7-920 and see how fast it melts :pac:

The heat isn't an issue so long as you can shift it fast enough with the cooler :)

Solitaire wrote: »

The heat isn't an issue so long as you can shift it fast enough with the cooler :)

And with the V8 being an amazing air-cooler, I am seeing around 55C on load, at least, that's what TMPIN2 gets, because that was closest (about 20 degrees closer to Core than Temp1) to Core Temps when locked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Solitaire wrote: »

I have my 930 up too 4.1ghz on a h50 and max on prime 95 is 66.

With the x2 chip being designed to draw alot less power than that, I would have presumed would have heated really quickly as I would have expected the extra watts to cause alot more heat, wonder how it would go on standard clocked unlocked on a standard cooler.

Advertisement