Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any isp's extending their LLU?

• 05-07-2010 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

Are isp's like smart/digiweb, etc still adding LLU equipment to exchanges? ie. is there an upgrade schedule for exchanges out there?

or....is this simply not being pursued anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Well since Digiweb bought Smart, they have started going backwards in service(Price up, speed down and download capped)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Calebmcd wrote: »
    Well since Digiweb bought Smart, they have started going backwards in service(Price up, speed down and download capped)
    Do they have LLU in westport then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The ship has sailed on LLU. The time for this was 6 or 7 years ago, and Ireland missed that one due to a useless regulator and an incumbent that abused it's position. LLU is too expensive, and cannot compete with the speeds being offered on cable. I don't think you'll see any more LLU expansion in Ireland.

Fibre is the only way forward now, if any can find the money to invest in it.

jor el wrote: »
    Fibre is the only way forward now, if any can find the money to invest in it.
    Can we afford NOT to invest in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 t_moore

vodarfone still sell and support LLU thata they obtained from BT or so i am told

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

jor el wrote: »
    The ship has sailed on LLU. The time for this was 6 or 7 years ago, and Ireland missed that one due to a useless regulator and an incumbent that abused it's position. LLU is too expensive, and cannot compete with the speeds being offered on cable. I don't think you'll see any more LLU expansion in Ireland.

I know what you mean but I'd think that the cable speeds make LLU all the more important. It can't compete but at least they can try to make it look competitive. I still agree fibre is what is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

paulm17781 wrote: »
    It can't compete but at least they can try to make it look competitive.

It would be better for us, and everyone who can't get cable, but the level of investment needed into LLU and ADSL2+ is much greater than any return than you could get now. The opportunity was missed about 5 years ago. If the cost of LLU had been lower, then it could have been made more widely available, and more customers would have signed up. More customers make more revenue and drive more investment, and we could have had widespread ADSL2+ by now.

Even though up to 24Mbps would be great news for people who's current max speed is 8Mbps at a push, it's really only viable in the urban centres, where the high speed cable is already available. In order to sell ADSL2+ in these areas (where 100Mbps cable will soon be available?), you'd have to drop the prices to unsustainable low levels.

I would be very confident in the statement that LLU in Ireland is dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Digiweb and Vodafone will still of course support their existing LLU customers. But frankly it's pointless now so they would be mad to invest further.

Only 10% to 15% on ADSL2+ or VDSL2 LLU exchange can get 20Mbps or more due to line length. At the average line length of 3km, the speed is 7Mbps to 10Mbps on BEST LLU tech. :(

It's dead.

Sounds like IrelandOffline needs to ramp up again. Its terrible that we have to drag ourselves kicking and screaming through something that is so vitally important.:mad:

Advertisement