Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excel Files Protection

• 05-07-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭

I'm trying to figure out a way of protecting an excel file from being sent around and used without premission

I know you can password lock the file, but the problem would be the person you tell could just then send the password on with the file

I was then thinking of having it as a self saving file, with the macros locked and set to countdown from, say, 4 so when the file has been opened and used, it will lock itself after 4 uses, but the problem would be if this were emailed, the person would have the original copy or could just make a few copies of the file before it locks up

I'd imagine you could get around the email issue by using a file sharing website and just providing a link till the intended person downloads it, and then removing the file, but after that I'm stuck!

Security isn't exactly my strong point! :o

Excel's standard password security level would be sufficient, its just the file sharing I'm trying to figure a way around

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭pablo_escobar

i not know much about excel but here what i'd try.

get the name of computer or the userid of person you want to read excel document.

when the document opens, use some macro to check the userid or computer name and if they doesn't match what you have in your excel document, close it.

to get more complicated than this would require embedding in an EXE file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Macros can be disabled in Excel, and for security reasons should be disabled until absolutely necessary.

You might be able to write a macro which detects whether macros are enabled or not, and only unlocks certain worksheets when they are.

You can also get the username and machine name of the person opening the document via a macro. So you could either restrict people from opening the doc if they aren't recognised, or send an e-mail to yourself via a Macro with the name, machine name, IP address, date and time of who opened it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

are you trying to share the file with people in the same building / on same network? if so, create a folder and lock down permissions to that user only.. if your trying to create a scenario where only the person you want will ever see the file, thats almost impossible as anyone with access can theoretically make a copy and send on to anyone

Advertisement