Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does "Generous Allowances" mean?

Options
  • 05-07-2010 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭

Just saw this in a description for a house on sale on daft:

"Generous allowances of €30,600 towards Kitchen/White Goods/Tiling and more."

What exactly does it mean?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

umm, what do you need explaining? It's as it says on the tin. It's a new house, doesn't have a kitchen, floors, etc and they are giving you 30600 towards this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Call me cynical, but just like any time a developer or builder offers you something (a car, big TVs at the start of the crash) this looks a ploy to hide the simple fact that the house isn't worthy of the price tag it has attached.
    and they are giving you 30600 towards this.

"Giving" how, though? It's hardly a case that I pay the builder 250k, and then he pays me 30,600.

Or do I pay 250k, & then the builder throws in a load of stuff he says is worth 30,600?

Just Drop The Fucking Price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

bugler wrote: »
    Just Drop The Fucking Price.

+1
    I don't understand how/why these cons are still out there......

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This isn't a con as such. The developer is offering to do the project for X. X includes €30,600 towards Kitchen/White Goods/Tiling. You can spend more or less, depending on your needs. If you want gold taps, you're going to use up more of your €30,600. If you go for basic chrome, you use up only a tiny bit.

However, what you need to find out is the basis of those allowances - are they for supply or for supply and fit?

Worrying is the bit that says "and more.". You need the builder to put everything down in writing.

Personally I'd rather a 30k reduction in the price, and to get my own electrician, plumber, gasman etc- to do whatever needs to be done (professionals at very good rates are very easy to find these days)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sure, but will they finish the plastering afterwards?

Victor wrote: »
    Sure, but will they finish the plastering afterwards?

Perhaps not- but looking at the pickets on some of these estates- I'm not sure that I'd be too worried one way or the other. Sure it would be nice to have everything looking lovely and ready to be used- but 30k is 30k, and its a lot of money these days......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

The reason they won't drop the price by 30k is because they're not paying 30k for it. You would pay 30k for that stuff if you went to the same shop, but they're making use of the fact that they're bringing 100 customers to the shop, and only paying (say) 15k for the lot.

Their marketing department has told them that 30k fittings allowance sounds much better than 15k discount. Also, dropping the house price by 15k gives the message that the houses aren't worth that much. Which we all know is true, but the marketers would prefer you didn't.

Thoie wrote: »
    The reason they won't drop the price by 30k is because they're not paying 30k for it. You would pay 30k for that stuff if you went to the same shop, but they're making use of the fact that they're bringing 100 customers to the shop, and only paying (say) 15k for the lot.

Their marketing department has told them that 30k fittings allowance sounds much better than 15k discount. Also, dropping the house price by 15k gives the message that the houses aren't worth that much. Which we all know is true, but the marketers would prefer you didn't.

The inverse of this- is customers who are wondering whether the developer has paid the tradespeople who installed all the fixtures and fittings- the kitchen, toilets etc.....There are lots of people who are very embarassed over the ongoing pickets for unpaid goods and works at the 3 developments that are ongoing at the moment........ (admittedly these are administrative sales- but there are going to be lots more of these........)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

smccarrick wrote: »
    Personally I'd rather a 30k reduction in the price, and to get my own electrician, plumber, gasman etc- to do whatever needs to be done (professionals at very good rates are very easy to find these days)

In my limited experience, the purchaser is usually free to organise their own kitchen etc, with whom ever they like, and the seller/builder will pay for it. Including it in the purchase price means you wrap it up in your mortgage, and don't have to come up with an extra 30k in cash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement