Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IS WATERFROD OVERDUE A BY-ELECTION?

• 05-07-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

AFTER THE "resignation" of the local Fianna Fáil TD, that party has the responsibility of deciding when the by-election should take place. There is no legal requirement on when to hold a by-election in Ireland but it is generally held within six months.
    does it matter if ones held would it make any difference to all the daily expanding list of unemployed europeans in waterford ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Hoffmans wrote: »
    AFTER THE "resignation" of the local Fianna Fáil TD, that party has the responsibility of deciding when the by-election should take place. There is no legal requirement on when to hold a by-election in Ireland but it is generally held within six months.
    does it matter if ones held would it make any difference to all the daily expanding list of unemployed europeans in waterford ??

The opposition parties should be screaming this from the rooftops that it is undemocratic.

I will never vote FF ever again for denying us this basic democratic right to be fully represented - not to mention their failure on the economic front

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A lot of people are annoyed at the "time wasting" done by motions from the opposition calling for the election. Plus there is only so many times you can go about this and its been a hot topic for a good while now, with FG holding a vote on the same subject very recently (Waterford specific).

Cant see us getting any by-election tbh.

Sully wrote: »
    A lot of people are annoyed at the "time wasting" done by motions from the opposition calling for the election. Plus there is only so many times you can go about this and its been a hot topic for a good while now, with FG holding a vote on the same subject very recently (Waterford specific).

Cant see us getting any by-election tbh.

surley sometinhg can be done - constitution challenge, boycot the dail, etc etc

the hullaballo that was kicked up when they were banning stag hunting was just bizare - I am sure I must not be the only one that is fast loosing faith in politics in this country and am wondering when the revolution will begin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Doesn't half make FF look desperate to hang onto power by any means, as well as having no confidence they would do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

there doin as they always do drag out something as long as they can until the dail holidays and effectively the government shuts down for a couple of months so they can have a two month holiday!!!
    actually while we,re talking about unemployment!! did ye know that there aint anyone looking at or renewing applications inside in the dole office in waterford apparently the person responsible for signing them off is on a couple of months leave!!! hows is that for disgraceful i just hope i don,t get let go from my job in the next few months or i,ll be having to resort to surviving like bear grylls and eating worms from me back garden!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

We should have one next year at least as there’s a Presidential election so the government majority will probably be reduced by another 3 provided that they lose the other 2 election.
    I for one will not be voting FF or FG for that matter as its six of one half dozen of another and I believe that FG obvious candidate to be a loud mouth with no economic knowledge whatsoever and only skill shown is riding the expenses gravy train.
    And as for Labour....given that we are in the biggest economic crisis this country has ever faced and they appear to lack any coherent economic strategy and all im hearing is "Nationalise this!" "Don’t cut that!" I would sooner vote FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Bards wrote: »
    The opposition parties should be screaming this from the rooftops that it is undemocratic.

I will never vote FF ever again for denying us this basic democratic right to be fully represented - not to mention their failure on the economic front

You should have never voted for them in the first place ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

there doin as they always do drag out something as long as they can until the dail holidays and effectively the government shuts down for a couple of months so they can have a two month holiday!!!
    actually while we,re talking about unemployment!! did ye know that there aint anyone looking at or renewing applications inside in the dole office in waterford apparently the person responsible for signing them off is on a couple of months leave!!! hows is that for disgraceful i just hope i don,t get let go from my job in the next few months or i,ll be having to resort to surviving like bear grylls and eating worms from me back garden!!!!

I got made redundant less than two weeks ago. I went in last Tuesday (was away the week before) and got an appointment for Friday morning. I'm getting my first payment on Wednesday. I'm not sure who is on leave but there certainly isn't any disruption to people applying for benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

jayboi wrote: »
    We should have one next year at least as there’s a Presidential election so the government majority will probably be reduced by another 3 provided that they lose the other 2 election.
    I for one will not be voting FF or FG for that matter as its six of one half dozen of another and I believe that FG obvious candidate to be a loud mouth with no economic knowledge whatsoever and only skill shown is riding the expenses gravy train.
    And as for Labour....given that we are in the biggest economic crisis this country has ever faced and they appear to lack any coherent economic strategy and all im hearing is "Nationalise this!" "Don’t cut that!" I would sooner vote FF.

spoken like a true FF'er!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Adyx wrote: »
    I got made redundant less than two weeks ago. I went in last Tuesday (was away the week before) and got an appointment for Friday morning. I'm getting my first payment on Wednesday. I'm not sure who is on leave but there certainly isn't any disruption to people applying for benefits.

You're lucky. I know of others who have not had such quick service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Green chairman says Waterford bye-election will have to wait

God it really is like the Greens have morphed into FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Another sign of how undemocratic the Green's really are ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Trotter wrote: »
    Green chairman says Waterford bye-election will have to wait

QUOTE]

so the tds and senators are off on their summer holidays with expenses soon,
    so are the greens are a complete joke or are fianna f using them to push the more annoying bits of legislation through to take some of the heat off themselves....

did anyone hear that ff ejeet on wlr this morning singing mr cowens praises for what a wonderful straight man he is in an uber camp interview...

spoken like a true FF'er!

I dont even know where to start so im just not going to bother

Yeah but how long will it take for them to process your application after you,ve been in with them, don,t mean to be harsh its just i know a good few people in your situation adyx and they,re gonna be waiting a while until there applications are seen too one being my sister and another is a neighbour!!

Yeah but how long will it take for them to process your application after you,ve been in with them, don,t mean to be harsh its just i know a good few people in your situation adyx and they,re gonna be waiting a while until there applications are seen too one being my sister and another is a neighbour!!

As I said it's already been processed. I was told straight away that the payment would be in the post office for me on Wednesday 7th July. I also got a letter today (Tues) confirming this.

In any case you can apply to the HSE for a Supplementary Welfare Allowance to tide you over till your application is processed. This is what I was expecting to happen but it wasn't necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It makes you wonder, if we've been getting on fine without the services of Mr Cullen, is a 4th TD really necessary? If the 3 TDs were complaining about having extra work (and not being compensated for it) then I'd think we need the 4th TD. However, there's been no such complaints so surely we can assume that they're coping fine and that we don't actually need a bye-election?

AdMMM wrote: »
    It makes you wonder, if we've been getting on fine without the services of Mr Cullen, is a 4th TD really necessary? If the 3 TDs were complaining about having extra work (and not being compensated for it) then I'd think we need the 4th TD. However, there's been no such complaints so surely we can assume that they're coping fine and that we don't actually need a bye-election?

It's another voice in the Dail we need - IF they (TD's) can make hay while the sun shines they are not going to call for an early by-election and have another TD in their feeding trough getting Rose down the road a medical card etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

It's an independent voice that we need in Waterford (and not one who'll whore themselves to any political party). We need someone to stand up for Waterford who'll vote independently on issues in the Dail and do what's best for our region! Number one priority is a University in this city, education breeds jobs in regions.

As I said it's already been processed. I was told straight away that the payment would be in the post office for me on Wednesday 7th July. I also got a letter today (Tues) confirming this.

In any case you can apply to the HSE for a Supplementary Welfare Allowance to tide you over till your application is processed. This is what I was expecting to happen but it wasn't necessary.
    thats good mate, its nice to hear though that ya wont have to wait as long as some!

• Advertisement

thats good mate, its nice to hear though that ya wont have to wait as long as some!

Cheers! Hopefully I won't need it for long. Good luck to your sister and neighbour too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

It's an independent voice that we need in Waterford (and not one who'll whore themselves to any political party). We need someone to stand up for Waterford who'll vote independently on issues in the Dail and do what's best for our region! Number one priority is a University in this city, education breeds jobs in regions.

who would be the indo canditates in with a shout here ?
    ,seems the indos do have a little more power depending on which side of the house they allege to these days....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

HEard someone say that you are entitled to one td for every 30,000 people. is this right.

Is it one TD to represent an area of 1 to 30,000 people, 2 td's for an area between 30,001 and 60,000 people and so on.

or

is it that you get one TD when you when you have 30,000, 2 for 60,000 and so on.

What is the population of Waterford City and County.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rugbytiger

Don't think there is a constituency know as WATERFROD...
    However WATERFORD needs a bye election NOW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

It should be made a legal requirement for a by-election to take place within three months of a vacancy arising.

Until all outstanding by-elections have taken place Ireland can not be said to have a legitimate government.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Hoffmans wrote: »
    ,seems the indos do have a little more power depending on which side of the house they allege to these days....

John Halligan.....vote no 1 !

All the elections will take place next year when the presidental election will take place. I am sure we will have one. I doubt anyone will get a clear run to the Aras.

We could have one around October if there is a referendum on children’s rights.

THall04 wrote: »

And his policies would be?

We could have one around October if there is a referendum on children’s rights.

I agree with you with the Children's Rights referendum, but will it be that close. I am not defending anyone, but it is important that everyything about it is right, and i cant see it taking place that quick, but i hope i am wrong.

Would love to know the answer about John Hallingans policies as well. I dont think he has a chance, certainly not outside the city boundary. I have never heard anyone outside of it speak highly of him. I would be for saying that Paudie Coffey has it sown up. Labour seem to be somewhat split with two councillors saying they want to stand. Surly they should have one person in place by now, incase a snap election is called. I know it wont. Dont think SF will do any good either. David Cullinane has stood in enough elections now and has not made any huge impression. Maybe they are picking the wrong man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Originally Posted by Hoffmans viewpost.gif

Originally Posted by THall04 viewpost.gif

John Halligan was a response to a question that was asked about what Independent canditates could run for the by-election.
    He's also a nice fella and helped me with a problem I had with the council last year :)

As for policies.....all Indepenent TD's should only have one policy.....screw the party in power for as much as they can get for their own constituency...in return for their support of that party.
    It's not right , its not democratic , but its worked out OK over the past 13 years for Jackie Healy Rae and the people of south Kerry

Advertisement