Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IS WATERFROD OVERDUE A BY-ELECTION?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

THall04 wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Hoffmans viewpost.gif
    who would be the indo canditates in with a shout here ?
    ,seems the indos do have a little more power depending on which side of the house they allege to these days....

Originally Posted by THall04 viewpost.gif
    John Halligan.....vote no 1 !

John Halligan was a response to a question that was asked about what Independent canditates could run for the by-election.
    He's also a nice fella and helped me with a problem I had with the council last year :)

As for policies.....all Indepenent TD's should only have one policy.....screw the party in power for as much as they can get for their own constituency...in return for their support of that party.
    It's not right , its not democratic , but its worked out OK over the past 13 years for Jackie Healy Rae and the people of south Kerry
    All i know is that we need to get rid of this pathetic excuse for a government...they are denying us our constitutional right to be represented..the bloody cheek of them! Please everyone demand our by-election ASAP!! if nothing else but to get rid ofc the corrupt bastards who rule our nation..:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

can someone list five or six good reasons why we actually need a bye election in Waterford as well as in Dublin and Donergal. None of this constitutional right etc crap please.

Surely to got its getting rid of politions we should be in all constituencies, both TDs and Councillors. Think of the savings it would make. If they do as people think, (Some do but many dont), let lesser numbers make up for the loss in numbers and let them work harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

spoken like a true FF'er!! AGAIN!! The people we should be getting rid of is Fianna Fail!!!

spoken like a true FF'er!! AGAIN!! The people we should be getting rid of is Fianna Fail!!!

Explain why.

Was wondering is it FOUR or FORE TD's that FG want representing Waterford.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Explain why.

Was wondering is it FOUR or FORE TD's that FG want representing Waterford.

Explain which? Why the people should get rid of FF or why we should have a by-election?

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Explain which? Why the people should get rid of FF or why we should have a by-election?

Why... when i said the country should be getting rid of councillors and tds and leave those left work harder, i was told i was a typical FF'er or something like that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Why... when i said the country should be getting rid of councillors and tds and leave those left work harder, i was told i was a typical FF'er or something like that.

That hasn't answered my question :)

Its part of Fine Gael policy to reduce the number of TDs IIRC.

I assume the "typical FF'er" comment was aimed because your questioning why we need a by-election in the first place, which is the approach by FF and its supporters who know they haven't a hope of winning the by-election. Plus, its kinda obvious you have some sort of support for FF (even when you try hide it, its not that great attempt :P)

There is a challenge in the courts at the moment which may force the government into holding them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

None of this constitutional right etc crap please.

I think this says it all really. Sure, just throw out the constitution. Ordinary people don't deserve it.

Sully wrote: »
    That hasn't answered my question :)

Its part of Fine Gael policy to reduce the number of TDs IIRC.

I assume the "typical FF'er" comment was aimed because your questioning why we need a by-election in the first place, which is the approach by FF and its supporters who know they haven't a hope of winning the by-election. Plus, its kinda obvious you have some sort of support for FF (even when you try hide it, its not that great attempt :P)

There is a challenge in the courts at the moment which may force the government into holding them anyway.

If it is FG policy to reduce numbers, why then are they pushing so hard to have the present numbers increased.

If it is FG policy to reduce numbers, why then are they pushing so hard to have the present numbers increased.

Well, we are currently operating in a system where the numbers are not at the figure FG were talking about (and the people have not decided if they want such change either). There not in government and the only way they can get in and make changes is if more of their candidates get elected. Many areas are crying out for these by-elections to put pressure on the government and it would in turn reduce the FF voting power in the Dail. Many people who elected X people in an area and see it now reduced and the government refusing to re-appoint someone as an insult to democracy and their constitutional right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mark17

I e-mailed Brendan Kenneally on this matter and he told me Fianna Fail are currently seeking a candidate for the Waterford area, and he hopes a by-election my be held in the spring. This is Fianna Fail democracy to a tee, i was led to believe a government has power when they hold the majority of seats in Dail Eireann, but three seats are vacant so there is not a full Dail. Therefore, they have no right to be in power, until there is a vote from all seats in the Dail, Fianna Fail have no mandate to be where they are, and the sooner the Irish people face up to that the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

On an economic front , are we not better off without three TD's in the Dail as we are saving nearly €500,000 in wages and expenses!

Is Waterford any worse off for the lack of a fourth TD? Don't think so!

Are FF denying us our rights to be represented? Most definitely!

Is anything going to happen before the Gov falls? No!

I think FF are waiting for the Gov to fall which will probably happen after the Budget so they won't bother moving the writ!

scout353 wrote: »
    On an economic front , are we not better off without three TD's in the Dail as we are saving nearly €500,000 in wages and expenses!

Is Waterford any worse off for the lack of a fourth TD? Don't think so!

Are FF denying us our rights to be represented? Most definitely!

Is anything going to happen before the Gov falls? No!

I think FF are waiting for the Gov to fall which will probably happen after the Budget so they won't bother moving the writ!

Agree with what you say but the majority will not. I have said time and time again that we are no worse off by not having 4 tds. I have said the amount tds in all areas should be cut and saving money. Have also said that the amount of Councillors should be cut. Few agree however.

Agree with what you say but the majority will not. I have said time and time again that we are no worse off by not having 4 tds. I have said the amount tds in all areas should be cut and saving money. Have also said that the amount of Councillors should be cut. Few agree however.

Are you only going to post here when someone says something you agree with and run away when the argument does not go your way? Seriously, we all know you support FF at this stage and your always welcome here but at the same time, stop just popping in to do a +1 and then run away when challenged.

Its all very well to say we are saving money by having less TDs, but thats cutting down on the representation this city and county deserves. The people voted them in, and the people want fair representation (and lets face it, Waterford has generally been ignored by FF over the years so if we can improve our voice then so be it). They are not getting it. FF are holding the competitive edge on this one, not in our favour by theirs.

The government are skimming the edge of a possible breach of the constitution and we all know if they were guaranteed the seat, they would run the by-election. The only reason they are holding back is because there is a major risk involved. A risk that could see FG get the seat and increase pressure on the lazy government we have at the moment that the people are disgusted with and want out.

Did you know, that as well as Cowen ignoring the constitution he is bound by that the electorate put him in charge of protecting and adhering to - despite the fact we are debt ridden and struggling, in order to protect his party from loosing an election he is prepared to fight a court case challenging the government that they are wrong not to hold the by-elections. Ah sure, who cares says you? Well, you should. We talk about saving money, and how the economy is in a mess - but Cowen is spending €100,000 of taxpayers money on a High Court battle to try and stop the Government being forced to name a date for a by-election. Just let the vote go ahead, and put the money back into the economy which so badly needs it. Perhaps create a few jobs with it, or help those struggling the most because you wanted to rob the poor and blind.

Are we forgetting that the same government, the cash strapped government who took money from each and everyone of us (unless your a banker or strong developer), the poor etc. is not just spending €100,000 to avoid being put under more pressure and loose a seat in government but they also decided to fork out €40k on a bloody website!

I'm sorry, but I for one have no competence in this government and I want to have my constituency fairly represented by a candidate I deem appropriate to represent me in the Dail - and fight to ensure this government stops ****ing around spending silly money on a website and battling court cases to delay an election.

They are wasting my money. They are not saving this country well enough. Its time they re-focused their attention on getting this country back to work and not stumbling around their failed promises and splashing cash willy nilly where they feel appropriate while ignoring the crisis that lurks behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Well said Sully!

But it will fall on deaf ears and we will just continue to amble along in debt ridden subservience to a party that is milking its final days on office for all it can get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

so much for so called democracy.....oh lord help me win da lotto and get me out of this hell hole of a country. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

danjo-xx wrote: »
    so much for so called democracy.....oh lord help me win da lotto and get me out of this hell hole of a country. :(

true but many people are being forced out anyway without any lotto windfalls and will proballly never return ...

who would fill the boots of martin cullen down here i have no political allegences whatsoever...
    but he did get the place a few good main roads even if the towns streets are left in a right bloody mess....

Advertisement