Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signature sizing Beta Test

Options
  • 05-07-2010 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

This is the thread for users of the Beta Skin to post their thoughts or findings on our test of signature size limits.

Curious? Then switch to the Beta Skin (see the drop down list at bottom left of the page) and read the notice.

Dav
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Seems good. Could be a bit overwhelming if there's scroll bar after scroll bar but its an improvement!

I heart beta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I haven't noticed anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would test this by putting longcat in my signature... but that still seems like a terrible idea.

Oh yes, I see it now, seems good. I had to venture out of the politics forum. Is my sig ok? I hope so, I spent a while resizing those pics.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm sure it will only concern a small number of sigs, but it can be distracting to be scrolling down a page with the mousewheel, and then nothing (apparantly) happens when you start scrolling again.

Chances are that due to the sig size restrictions in place, and the presumably small number of sigs this catches, that it is unnecessary. It will rarely be more than 1/3 of the sig not seen. Obviously is this is in tandem with allowing people to have sigs as big as they want then fair enough, but as things stand I think it is change for changes sake.

/2c

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm not liking it I have to say, I didn't see a problem with the existing signature layout
    The sig scrolls in this post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66723721&postcount=7

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I like this idea, it's very helpful.

Yes I did not notice it stopping scrolling initially. Me no likey that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Everyones sig is twice the size now for some reason. Even those who haven't amended theres.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Needs some work

attachment.php?attachmentid=119180&stc=1&d=1278351465

the field I guess is too big still.

And yes when you view the webpage at a low resolution (or less than fullscreeen) even acceptable sigs show up as scrollfields.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Everyones sig is twice the size now for some reason. Even those who haven't amended theres.
    Can you explain this one? Also what browser and OS are you using (for debugging purposes).

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Seems to depend on my zoom setting in Firefox. If I have a page zoomed some signatures have scrolling

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

DeVore wrote: »
    Can you explain this one? Also what browser and OS are you using (for debugging purposes).

DeV.

Well it's not quite everyones, but there's an example. I'm using chrome and windows 7 64bit. I also tested this on my Nokia N900 running Maemo and the browser is microb, which is based on firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think it would be better to just clip the content than to add scrollbars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

or perhaps just not allow it to display if over the set parameters (if that is even possible/workable

eoin wrote: »
    I think it would be better to just clip the content than to add scrollbars.
    Yeah, clip the content. They are frustrating, you don't get a smooth scroll down the screen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's doing funny things to my eyes.

I mainly click and drag the scroll bar as it's quicker/quieter than using the scroll wheel all the time. This now seems to be causing a slight lag as sigs try to keep up with the rest of the page. Scrolling either direction causes about half a line delay, so the last line of a post is cut in half and flickers when scrolling down and the sig itself drags behind and then snaps into place when scrolling up.

It also causes the Beta navbar across the top to flicker when it's dragged over sigs.

Happens in FF 3.5.10 on Win7 64 bit;
    Doesn't happen in IE 8.0.7600.16385, Opera 10.54, Safari 5.0, Chrome 5.0.375.99

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Scrolls? No thanks. Awful looking.

Just snip the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'd be in favour of just clipping the sigs at the max allowable size rather than the scrollbars, I think it would look a bit neater and might make people more likely size their sigs appropriately if they know its just going to be clipped.

On a side note, if I'm not logged in I don't see any sigs at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

RuggieBear wrote: »
    or perhaps just not allow it to display if over the set parameters (if that is even possible/workable

I reckon that would be hard enough to do; or would at least involve a lot of client side scripting that would be a bit of overkill.

Setting overflow: hidden in the CSS would just not display any content that goes over the boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Initial thought is to clip the content but what happens when someone puts a longcat in their sig, we can't see it's massive but it's causing people's webpages to load slowly, because it is clipped?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Gordon wrote: »
    Initial thought is to clip the content but what happens when someone puts a longcat in their sig, we can't see it's massive but it's causing people's webpages to load slowly, because it is clipped?

Still allow reports for such sigs. I assume the longcat is an image - can they not check the size in that area and removed those over the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You can already limit the size & dimensions of sigs if they're uploaded to the site and displayed through [sigpic]

You can already limit the size & dimensions of sigs if they're uploaded to the site and displayed through [sigpic]
    But what happens if you want to include text in them like in my sig? or links?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    But what happens if you want to include text in them like in my sig? or links?

It can still be done through the Sig menu - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editsignature

It can still be done through the SigPic feature - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editsignature
    Thats the way I did mine...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I like this idea, it's very helpful.

I take that back, it's a pain in the backside when scrolling down the page.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Not liking the idea at all.

• Advertisement

Is doing my head in now.

Advertisement