Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signature sizing Beta Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Gordon wrote: »
    Initial thought is to clip the content but what happens when someone puts a longcat in their sig, we can't see it's massive but it's causing people's webpages to load slowly, because it is clipped?

Scrollbars or no scrollbars won't make a difference there though.

Checking for large images is easy, it's the combination of text and images or just too much text that might be harder to cater for - because then I think you have to work out the computed height of a div and I don't know how easy that is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Scroll bar in the sig is maaaaaad weird

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I cant see that it makes any difference to my overall viewing experience on Boards from the few big sigs I've come across so far.

It doesn't affect scrolling down the page, and if someones sig is half-hidden, so what. To me that just means their sig was too big in the first place!
    This might get users into the habit of having shorter sigs.

(BTW I'm using google Chrome 6 and/or IE 8, screen settings 1280x1024)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Tallon wrote: »

I'm just gonna echo this. It's strange.

I'd prefer the system already in place, the SigPo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Nope...not a good idea I am afraid. Sounded good when I saw the announcement but was really annoying and distracting when reading threads. It only draws attention to the sigs now as the page stops scrolling while the sigs scroll. Far more annoying than big sigs.

It you can add scroll bars when a sig is over a certain size then why not just not show them if it is over a certain size instead. People will get the message then.

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »
    It doesn't affect scrolling down the page, and if someones sig is half-hidden, so what.

It does affect scrolling down the page on a laptop with a scrollbar on the touchpad.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It is a tad annoying having the scrollbars everywhere!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It is a tad annoying having the scrollbars everywhere!

I agree.
    Can't see myself scrolling down to see someones sig.
    Are there going to be some lay offs now in the Sig Police Force?
    Has this been discussed with the unions..:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's appauling. I've never seen a seriously offensive signature that required mammoth scrolling - is this just policy for policy's sake? Boards is turning into the Green Party :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

No. It's ugly and my page-down scroll is interpreted as sig-down scroll far too often depending on where my mouse pointer is located.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Tallon wrote: »

It wouldn't be a problem if your sig were smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Looks awful imo (just my view dont shoot :D ), I think either leave it as is or enforce a size. If some one needed a big one for a valid reason such as fund raising for charity perhaps then they could request a bigger one?

Not even sure thats possible or practical even :confused:

I and am sure others would not shed many tears if we were forced to reduce the size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Change it baccccckkk!!!!!

Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I think the whole intention is that they'll look 'awful' and 'ugly' and 'appalling'; it might encourage people to re-think their signature and make it fit the dimensions.

Of course, it'll only actually work if they're using the Beta skin...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

is this just policy for policy's sake?
    No, it's not.

Rovi wrote: »
    I think the whole intention is that they'll look 'awful' and 'ugly' and 'appalling'; it might encourage people to re-think their signature and make it fit the dimensions.

I hope that's not the thinking behind it - seems a bit unfair to punish people looking at the sig. Also, if someone doesn't already have a problem with a large sig, they probably won't mind scrollbars either.

So - can we give it a go with the overflow hidden, instead of scrolling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

eoin wrote: »
    So - can we give it a go with the overflow hidden, instead of scrolling?
    I think that would be the best option, if it was technically feasible.
    Ideally, a fixed pixel height x width, enforced at the 'Edit Signature' level.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Good idea in theory, but I'm not a fan. Worth a shot all the same though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I'm pretty sure it's a one-liner change that needs doing:
    .sig{
    	max-height: 150px;
    	max-width: 100%;
    	overflow: [s]auto[/s] hidden;
    }

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Is this just policy for policy's sake?
    No, it's not.

When was the last time someone has a really large offensive sig? The old sig rules were fine. Occassionally some muppet would have a 25k jpg instead of a 20k, but it was never the end of the world. Sometimes someone'd have an animated gif and it would be deleted, but in my time on boards, I've never seen a ridiculously big sig that would warrant such an overhaul of the rules on signatures. IMO, this entire excercise is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

One thing I'm noticing , which is actually pretty annoying for me is as I scroll down the page is the sig's scroll slowing and stuttering the scroll so to speak.

And wouldn't you know , my own is the biggest culprit lol

When was the last time someone has a really large offensive sig? The old sig rules were fine. Occassionally some muppet would have a 25k jpg instead of a 20k, but it was never the end of the world. Sometimes someone'd have an animated gif and it would be deleted, but in my time on boards, I've never seen a ridiculously big sig that would warrant such an overhaul of the rules on signatures. IMO, this entire excercise is pointless.

From what I can see, these scrollbars will do nothing about the file size of an image - they just don't allow a sig in total to exceed a certain width and height by adding a very simple piece of CSS.

Being honest, your complaints about what seems to be a small change seems more over the top than the actual thing being tried out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Using Firefox3 on Vista with the Beta Skin...

Noticed that Sigs without scroll bars seem to drag up and down the screen while I'm using the hold middle click and drag on the mouse for scrolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

I as other users are finding that when I'm scrolling down a page and my mouse pointer wanders into a sig with a scrollbar it then scrolls the sig rather than the page. A tad annoying.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, this is why we Beta test stuff.... (you ARE all in the Beta test skin after all :) )

Clearly this needs to be re-examined, nice idea but the reality is a bit different to what I would like. (I thought this might work, blame me :) )

We'll look at it again in the morning. Thanks for the feedback guys and gals, keep it coming, its been very useful.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It wouldn't be a problem if your sig were smaller.

Yeah thanks for that, keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I as other users are finding that when I'm scrolling down a page and my mouse pointer wanders into a sig with a scrollbar it then scrolls the sig rather than the page. A tad annoying.

Yep, same here. Its annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

There are two reasons we went with the scrollbars:

1) you'll only see a scrollbar on a sig that's bigger than it should be - so scrollbars means sig2big. We thought this might just be a handy way to let people know when/if they change their sig to something new, that they've become bigger than they should be.

2) we didn't want the possibility of malicious code or free advertising links which Google etc would pick up hidden out of sight because we couldn't see it and therefore couldn't have it reported. It would've become a very difficult thing to spot - unless you're looking at source code of every page.

However, as DeV said, we are gonna have another think about it today - thanks very much for all your feedback so far folks. We hadn't thought of the scroll wheel catching in it for example :)

Dav wrote: »
    2) we didn't want the possibility of malicious code or free advertising links which Google etc would pick up hidden out of sight because we couldn't see it and therefore couldn't have it reported. It would've become a very difficult thing to spot - unless you're looking at source code of every page.

That's an excellent point - didn't think of that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am on a laptop and using either the touch pad or the arrows doesn't make any difference to the scrolling, it just ignores the sig scrollbars. I don't really care one way or another, I won't bother to scroll on sigs, I rarely look at them anyway.

Now those great big announcements that have appeared at the top of every forum and topic are a bit irritating ... :D

Advertisement