Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signature sizing Beta Test

Options
13»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

which great big announcements??

Does it have a big red "X" top right?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dav wrote: »
    1) you'll only see a scrollbar on a sig that's bigger than it should be - so scrollbars means sig2big. We thought this might just be a handy way to let people know when/if they change their sig to something new, that they've become bigger than they should be.

But my sig fits in the guidelines, yet it's subject to the scroll bar. How come?

It's an image of 292 x 125 and one line of text. It doesn't say anywhere in the sig rules about having a pic AND text.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But my sig fits in the guidelines, yet it's subject to the scroll bar. How come?

It's an image of 292 x 125 and one line of text. It doesn't say anywhere in the sig rules about having a pic AND text.
    I think thats why it needs to go back to formula though in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Is there anyway that the little "Sig windows" so to speak, only become active when clicked on? That would eliminate the scrolling interruptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Aye, this is one of those situations we need to clarify. It's my opinion that we allow pictures as described and then maybe 1 line of size 2 text or 2 lines of size 1 - that's what I'll be recommending anyway, but it's not just my say :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Aye, I think one line of text if it's a max height image, personally.

Technically you've got two lines of text as you've got a carriage return there too! But I changed it to remove the carriage return and it still gives a scrollbar for me. Changed it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Sorry to butt in here but how do I change the beta style back to the regular style?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Elessar wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in here but how do I change the beta style back to the regular style?
    Look at the bottom left. Select skin there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Elessar wrote: »

Here's the link to switch back - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/index.php?styleid=1

We've made a change to the height allowance (from 150 to 220 px) to see what you think for another night or two - now only "serious" offenders will cause scroll bars.

Again, we really appreciate your helping us out on this. We're investigating some other options too, this one was handy to implement as it's just a change to the CSS rather than delving into the VBulletin source.

Elessar: Bottom left corner of every page has a drop down list with all available styles, you can change it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Seems much better now. I haven't come across anywhere near as many scroll bars as earlier. Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Is there any way of implementing a 'physical size' limitation on the totality of a signature?
    Something like 220x1000px or somesuch?

Let people put whatever combination of images and text they like there, provided it fits within the box.

I make the suggestion because while someone's images are of a specific size which is either legit or not, text adjusts itself dynamically depending on the size of the viewer's browser window.
    What fits neatly into 4 or 8 lines in a browser set fullscreen on a big monitor turns into a right old wall-of-text on smaller monitors or browser windows.
    Then you have the people who put in a long line of gibberish with no spaces or carriage returns. :rolleyes:

That, or set a character count limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Looks good alright now Dav, but I came across one today and was like wtf..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66779703&postcount=9

Don't know why he has scroll bars as his sig is well within the rules :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Tallon wrote: »
    Looks good alright now Dav, but I came across one today and was like wtf..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66779703&postcount=9

Don't know why he has scroll bars as his sig is well within the rules :confused:
    There appears to be a bunch of blank space under the image, however that works :confused:

Added: Fixed now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That's messy code he's put in there forcing carriage returns, I've removed the unecessary code.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If this is only going to introduce scroll bars to very few users then it is even more pointless imo. A long sig doesn't really bother me anyhow as long as the image isn't anyway annoying. If, for example there were now only 50 sigs on boards this affected, then it is unnecessary work for a problem that won't affect most users, but for those it will affect (people who frequent the same forums as offenders) then it will be really annoying. If the poster isn't breaking the sig rules to any great extent then it shouldn't be an issue really.

I'm glad people are using out of the box thinking, but this one should be put back into the box I think. For the vast majority, sigs are not an issue, and having something that will be an occasional nuisance isn't a good idea I think.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We're continuing our out-of-the-box thinking and believe we have an alternative solution. I do agree that it would end up punishing a lot of people who are not the offenders, so there may be an alternative of sorts. Leave it with us for a day or two...

DeV.

5starpool wrote: »
    If this is only going to introduce scroll bars to very few users then it is even more pointless imo. A long sig doesn't really bother me anyhow as long as the image isn't anyway annoying. If, for example there were now only 50 sigs on boards this affected, then it is unnecessary work for a problem that won't affect most users, but for those it will affect (people who frequent the same forums as offenders) then it will be really annoying. If the poster isn't breaking the sig rules to any great extent then it shouldn't be an issue really.

I'm glad people are using out of the box thinking, but this one should be put back into the box I think. For the vast majority, sigs are not an issue, and having something that will be an occasional nuisance isn't a good idea I think.

But the scroll bars would only be for offenders, making them easily detectable. If they're in a forum that a user frequents, report them in Signatures

It's a good idea, but just needs some tweaking

It's a difficult trade off alright - as Tallon says, you only see a scroll bar on a sig that's breaking the rules. However, until that's actioned, everyone has to suffer the scroll bars and the key issue is that this is unfair on everyone else.

However, as DeV's mentioned above, there are other options we're exploring and are awaiting some news from the tech team to see if we can implement a different style of solution.

Dav wrote: »
    However, as DeV's mentioned above, there are other options we're exploring and are awaiting some news from the tech team to see if we can implement a different style of solution.

What about making a sig thats breaking the rules visable to only Mods , and blank to all other users, that way it's only annoying for mods (Who love being annoyed :p)

Obviously the mods would be more aware of reporting them than a noob or regular poster

• Advertisement

unfortunately only your browser knows its too big because of the way the net works. :(

DeV.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

At home I browse in 1920x1200 so big sigs aren't really something that bother me there anyhow.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Thi s may be coincidence, but my browser has beeen flickering horribly when scrolling down pages in boards since yesterday. That said, I don't recall it happening on my smaller work monitor.

Gordon wrote: »
    That's messy code he's put in there forcing carriage returns, I've removed the unecessary code.

Here's another one for you G-Man

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=136285

Thanks a million everyone for helping us test this out. We're removing the CSS now that we had in place to test this, so no more scroll bars for anyone (if you see them, try clearing your cache).

We're now trying another solution which we're all very happy with in the office - details are on this thread.

Thanks again,

Dav

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

DeVore wrote: »
    which great big announcements??

Does it have a big red "X" top right?

DeV.

And especially the three 'thankers'

Sigh. It was a joke. There was a big grin.
    I took DeVore's response to be a like response until people started joining in.

Actually I wasnt sure.... I kinda thought you were joking but on the scale of "Smart to Dumb" you might think that you are sufficiently tongue-in-cheek over towards the "dumb" level that we'd get the joke for sure.... unfortunately its a constant source of despair to me regarding the human race that you barely edge in that direction.

When people quite seriously mail us and ask why we havent arrived to install their Sky Plus box (because we have a thread on it).... you begin to believe just about anything is possible :):)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Change the overflow to "none" and oversized sigs will automatically be clipped without scrollbars.

On mobile so I can't doublecheck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I suggested that earlier, but Dav pointed out that this could just hide advertising links in a sig.

• Advertisement

plus things like longcat etc or images of 10Mb in size which would slow browsers down without alerting our servers....

This is not a problem with a technical solution so ultimately we decided to improve our support for a human solution and thats what we have done, improved the efficiency and tools available to the Sigpo.

DeV.

Advertisement