Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinda rude!

Options
  • 05-07-2010 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Ok, so my sister and I have been regular customers of Bistro Bianconi for years now. We heard they had a new menu/specials, including one for 15 euro which included a 9 inch pizza, side order and a soft drink.

My sister rang earlier today to order this special. She asked for a veggie calzone without some ingredients she dislikes - she asked for no pineapple or peppernata sauce, I think. The guy on the other end of the phone told her she couldn't do that as it was a set menu, and was quite arsy about it too.

I thought that was ridiculous - she wasn't asking for extra ingredients, she was asking for less! She wasn't trying to order a bigger pizza for the same money either - in fact they'd have made the some money for using less ingredients. If the pizzas are made up fresh, what the heck was the big deal? It's not like it was gonna be a huge hassle. Either way there was no need to be so rude about it.

She cancelled the order btw. Like I said, we've been regular customers for years but not anymore. IMO, they'd really gone downhill the last while but I stuck with them out of (very misplaced as it turns out) loyalty, and b/c Sligo isn't great pizza wise.

Beware this shower - spend your money where your business will be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Only saw this on the main page and clicked on it,

My guess is the pizza's are premade or something and that's why they can't take away anything off of it, like you said it makes no sense otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

their fresh pizzas.sorry for taking this off topic robertos on high street has the nicest pizza in town imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I don't understand why people like calzone pizzas. It's basically taking a perfectly formed pizza, then folding it in half. I mean you wouldn't go to a restaurant & ask for a steak, then tell them you'd like it medium rare, then folded. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I don't understand why people like calzone pizzas. It's basically taking a perfectly formed pizza, then folding it in half. I mean you wouldn't go to a restaurant & ask for a steak, then tell them you'd like it medium rare, then folded. :confused:

Cos if they fold it ye get to eat a full pizza by yourself without looking like a fat baxtard!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Bistro make all of their pizza's to order. Chances are, you got a newbie who didn't know any better, or someone having an off day.

either way, I'd be taking my business elsewhere from now on, as you are doing so still their loss.

If you are regular customers, I would take the effort to write a letter of complaint to them about the service you got. If you've gone to the bother of posting here, then a quick complaint won't take too long. be interesting to see how they handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

ah, too bad they haven't improved in the last 2.5 years. We found the service (dine in) terrible the one time we ate there as well. (we never went back) The waiter would have had to close his eyes, plug his ears and sing "la la la la la I can't hear you" in order to ignore us any more obviously or completely.

Complained to the manager on duty and she didn't know what to do. She was like a deer caught in the headlights and didn't even know enough to apologise on behalf of her staff, nevermind offer a concession on the bill.

Shame really, since the food was quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 none2happy

Thanks for the replies, all!

Yep, I thought the pizzas were made fresh to order all right. Which makes it all the more ridiculous to refuse to actually omit ingredients - as I said, what's the big deal when they're made fresh and they'd have made the same money?

My sister actually thinks it was the manager :( she spoke to - either that, or it was an employee of the same name.

I've only ever eaten in once as well. It was quite a while back - we had to wait ages for the food (which was nice, in fairness) and the waitress was none too attentive either. Doesn't look like things have changed a whole lot!

Good idea about the letter of complaint - I'll encourage her to do that. If she does, I'll post an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Einhard wrote: »
    Cos if they fold it ye get to eat a full pizza by yourself without looking like a fat baxtard!! :pac:

Haven't been into the Bistro in years, always found it overated. This is off topic, but isn't it amazing how the word 'fat' is always followed by the word 8astard. I'm guilty of it myself btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not a fan of Bistro either.

Horribly over-priced!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Bistro = meh imo.
    I could give or take it.
    Haven't been there in years, but always felt it is was a bit pompus and cliquey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

We had Bistro last night, a half and half pizza and herb bread with cheese, and we went in to collect it. Seemed grand when we took it out of the box but by the second or third slice it was freezing. Herb bread was only ok too. Very disappointed with it really for the price we paid, I think it was nearly 22 euro for it as well, so its not exactly what you'd call value for money either. I don't think I'd be in a rush to go back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Bistro used to be great but now we take ourselves out to Strandhill, get a bit of a walk and collect a pizza on the way home

http://www.bellavista.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Ive always found the Bistro on High St to be excellent. Occasionally, Id call in to find the pizza wouldn't be ready but there was always an apology an occasionally a €5 voucher or something like that. Just my two cents worth

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i actully like them, might order a pizza every 3 to 4 weeks from them, usally try a get on their €10 pizza deal, only disapointment is that its no longer offered every day.

did once get my pizza half price when the wrong one was delivered and had to wait on a new one to be sent out

i beleive they have recently released a new menu and range of offers, although still waiting by the letter box :D

i honestly think you may have got a newbie OP or someone trying to hard to impress their manager

all their pizzas are made to order (i imagine the calzones are the same, basically a folded pizza), this can be seen when walking past their o'connell street resturant and high street delevery/collection premises

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

I ordered there the day they launched their new menu and ordered from their set menu - €20 for 2 starters, a pizza and 2 drinks (pretty good value for there). I asked for a half and half pizza but was told that for their set menu you can only have a pizza from the menu, no changes. Not sure why they are doing this but seems to be a new company policy. Hopefully they will lax up on it soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I ordered there the day they launched their new menu and ordered from their set menu - €20 for 2 starters, a pizza and 2 drinks (pretty good value for there). I asked for a half and half pizza but was told that for their set menu you can only have a pizza from the menu, no changes. Not sure why they are doing this but seems to be a new company policy. Hopefully they will lax up on it soon...

not sure if it makes any difference, but was that in the resturant or collection/delevery, cant see that on the restrarant website or the new menus that came through the door

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

irish-stew wrote: »
    not sure if it makes any difference, but was that in the resturant or collection/delevery, cant see that on the restrarant website or the new menus that came through the door

It was in the collection/delivery place, we were just passing and the smell got the better of us ;)

Maybe because it's an offer you can only have a set pizza?

Maybe because it's an offer you can only have a set pizza?
    How would it make a difference to them though, to do a half and half pizza? Their most expensive pizza is around 16 euro or so but on average most of them are the same value. They are doing an offer so they aren't strictly 'losing' money anyway, rather the opposite - they are gaining custom for providing the option of a half and half pizza.
    They've gotten a bit weird lately like that. And also when we ordered herb bread it doesn't come with a little salad any more, only the tomato and onion mix. Is this to 'tie in' with their new 'offers'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

terlywerly wrote: »
    How would it make a difference to them though, to do a half and half pizza? Their most expensive pizza is around 16 euro or so but on average most of them are the same value. They are doing an offer so they aren't strictly 'losing' money anyway, rather the opposite - they are gaining custom for providing the option of a half and half pizza.
    They've gotten a bit weird lately like that. And also when we ordered herb bread it doesn't come with a little salad any more, only the tomato and onion mix. Is this to 'tie in' with their new 'offers'?

I wonder are they trying to be ultra-tight on their margins and reduce wastage by having the toppings for each pizza on the menu pre-prepared in batches. That's the only plausible reason I can think of, it would be in line with stopping the free salad on the side.

ectoraige wrote: »
    I wonder are they trying to be ultra-tight on their margins and reduce wastage by having the toppings for each pizza on the menu pre-prepared in batches. That's the only plausible reason I can think of, it would be in line with stopping the free salad on the side.
    All I know is that I missed my wee salad :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Haven't had a pizza in there for a while now,but I always enjoy it,only ever get take away though. Roberto's and bella vista do have excellent pizzas aswell though as other posters have mentioned.

Advertisement