Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When was the last time someone invented a new food?

Options
  • 05-07-2010 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

I was having this debate with my Dad. He insists that there no new food has been invented and popularised in the past 100 years. Not a recipe, an actual food that can be used as an ingredient by itself. ie Bread, Pasta, Bacon etc.

I couldn't think of anything. Is he right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bluestarshine

Quorn maybe, not sure when that was invented though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

How about genetically modified food? Rice/tomatoes/corn etc all changed in the lab from the norm.
    That would be considered new food invented, as its very different from original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

i find the thoughts that food be 'invented' as slightly disturbing...
    but i also regularly enough think about how and when people discovered weeds like rocket were edible and yummy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Cauliflower was created in a lab in the 50's by the fast food companies. It was designed to turn people off other vegetables for life, and hence onto eating their food instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Sergeant wrote: »
    Cauliflower was created in a lab in the 50's by the fast food companies. It was designed to turn people off other vegetables for life, and hence onto eating their food instead.

That is a fantastic conspiracy theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭morcheen k

it was the fillit-o-fish by muc donalds :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Mechanically retrieved chicken/meat? Used in chicken nuggets, burgers, sausages etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Blisterman wrote: »
    Not a recipe

ie Bread, Pasta,

Bread and pasta are recipes?

Cornflakes, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

No I meant, they're not recipes.
    They're examples of 'invented' foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What about TVP ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Soylent Green?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

WindSock wrote: »
    Soylent Green?

It'S MADE FROM.......................................................... genetically modified organisms!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Blisterman wrote: »
    No I meant, they're not recipes.
    They're examples of 'invented' foods.
    I think that poster was saying bread & pasta are recipes, I would consider them recipes, the main ingredient is wheat. So I think we need more examples of what would/would not be allowed.

If absolutely no recipes are not to be included then it can only be stuff like newly discovered plants. I was going to say processed potato snacks but they are recipes IMO.

Pineberries were not around 100 years ago.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineberry
    But they are not that popular.

Advertisement