Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of The Week #64

Options
  • 05-07-2010 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

So here it is, better late than never. The clear winner was Gojira - From Mars to Sirius. Here's the breakdown of the votes. As usual, only albums with more than one vote are listed.

Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever - 2
    Deicide - Legion - 2
    Gojira - From Mars to Sirius - 8

I must admit I hadn't listened to Gojira much until I hunted down some of their stuff just down on YouTube but what I've heard so far has impressed me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

It's a pretty flawless album as mentioned in the aotw thread, and "Backbone" is one serious adrenaline inducing song after a few beers (and anytime for that matter). Many a time I've had this album on repeat during a game of Texas Hold'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Are Deicide ever gonna make the list:eek::pac:
    Havent heard too much Gojira so i'll be checking them out:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Really solid band, it's impossible not to headbang to any riff on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

hhhhmmmm never heard of these before ... will explore them further methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

So, so heavy are Gojira. Whale metal indeed!

Best thing to come out of France since the blowjob :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

woooohoooo I win! :D
    oooooh fack death metal tinged french madness. This album slays, the build up to the riff in Flying Whales has to be one of my most favourite heavy moments ever (skip to 2:26 in the video above for the good sh*t!). Every song (maybe not Unicorn the interlude) is an absolute TUNE.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Are Deicide ever gonna make the list:eek::pac:
    I'm working on it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Denny M wrote: »
    I'm working on it :P

I'll support the cause until they make the list:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Absolutely savage album, and my favourite one by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Quite good album, Backbone, The Heaviest Matter and To Sirius stick out as highlights. However I think that The Way of All Flesh is much better, although not many agree with me it seems. I just think it has tighter instrumentation and songwriting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I'll support the cause until they make the list:cool:
    +1

And I have been for the last few weeks! How anyone can have a best metal albums list, see that "legion" is not mentioned and not vote for it is beyond me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Such an amazing album, and theyre so tight live, flying whales, what a track

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I prefer Gojiras early stuff, when they were more raw and less structured. Check out Terra Incognita and The Link if you want to hear what the real Gojira is like. Their latest album isnt great imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

chupacabra wrote: »
    I prefer Gojiras early stuff, when they were more raw and less structured. Check out Terra Incognita and The Link if you want to hear what the real Gojira is like. Their latest album isnt great imo.

The raw stuff is great, but I prefer the way they managed to focus their sound in From Mars To Sirius and introduce more melody aswell. The new one is probably the weakest, it does have some great songs though...Oroborous, Toxic Waste Island, The Art of Dying...

Advertisement