Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Bomb scare

Options
  • 05-07-2010 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭

So fellow boardsies on the saturday just gone the centre of the town was closed off due to a bomb scare. Reports go that an individual found a suspicious package and brought it to the Garda station. The result of which the street between the station and clintons was closed and the army bomb disposal unit was called out. Where it was confirmed that it was a viable improvised explosive device which was taking apart and handed over to Garda for their investigations.

Considering this is something that doesnt happen very much in the town(if ever) how come their is so little info forthcoming about it.

So yes i'm being nosey where was it found, was it meant to be found just to scare or was their a plan to kill someone what if anything have ye heard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

According to the Tipp Fm site,the device was found out side a business in the Gurtnafleur business park.If I came across something like that,its ringing the guards I would be doing, instead of bringing it in to them....Its unusual to say the least.They didnt mention the name of the business premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The person whose Business premises it was found outside has been subject to this kind of thing for a long time now, getting threatening letters and nasty phone calls on a regular basis.There was a story in the nationalist a while back about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Yep one of the stories doing the rounds was it was found outside planet playground and someone(randomer? owner?) picked it up put it in the car and brought it to the cop shop:eek:

Now if i thought something was a bomb i would be running like forrest gump while phoning the guards not picking it up.

Edit:
    tippspur wrote: »
    The person whose Business premises it was found outside has been subject to this kind of thing for a long time now, getting threatening letters and nasty phone calls on a regular basis.There was a story in the nationalist a while back about it.

Was that not the owners of Kate Ryans i remember they got a big write up on the nationalist alright.

Same people own both premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Supposedly drove said device to the Station with the device in the boot of the car, but brought his kid with him.....Is it just me or WTF!

X file.....cue music. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

that abuse the people are getting says it all about clonmel, i read the nationalist article online and i must sat thats a very extreme case of spite, whoever is behind this must be a bit mad, mad enough that someone must have suspicions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

charlemont wrote: »
    that abuse the people are getting says it all about clonmel, i read the nationalist article online and i must sat thats a very extreme case of spite, whoever is behind this must be a bit mad, mad enough that someone must have suspicions.

It doesnt say it all about Clonmel...it says a lot about the person that did it.I'm in Clonmel,as are lots of the posters here..we dont go around leaving bombs outside peoples premises...a bit of an unfair comment there imo.I would think there would be cctv down there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

So true, i would love to be security looking back over the tapes in Gurtnafleur. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

iceage wrote: »
    Supposedly drove said device to the Station with the device in the boot of the car, but brought his kid with him.....Is it just me or WTF!

It's not just you. Why in the name of God if you suspect that it's a bomb of whatever sort would you pick it up and drive it to the cops !?!

What has astonished me also is that this doesnt really happen in provincial towns yet RTE only saw fit to mention it in passing about a whole 3 to 4 seconds yet give about 40secs yesterday because some kid saved a hedgehog:confused:

• Advertisement

What has astonished me also is that this doesnt really happen in provincial towns yet RTE only saw fit to mention it in passing about a whole 3 to 4 seconds yet give about 40secs yesterday because some kid saved a hedgehog:confused:

Ah now were in a recession and the hedgehog story was heartwarming to old softies like myself :) but i agree that this story should have got more coverage. A guy walking into a cop shop with an explosive is like something you'd see on Life on Mars or some program like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

planet Playground is under new ownership and has been for quite a while they sold it before taking over Kate Ryans

alexmcred wrote: »
    planet Playground is under new ownership and has been for quite a while they sold it before taking over Kate Ryans

Seemingly they still owned it when they took over Kate Ryans they were merely leasing it out. As far as i can remember this was mentioned in the nationalist article about this couple a while ago. They could have sold it recently but i'd need somebody to confirm that.

Also the Nationalist this morning stated that it was a viable metal pipe bomb.

I loved this bit the spokesperson requested that any suspicious devices be left alone and the garda notified i.e. please dont anybody else pick up a viable bomb put it in their car and drive it to the station!!!

Seemingly they still owned it when they took over Kate Ryans they were merely leasing it out. As far as i can remember this was mentioned in the nationalist article about this couple a while ago. They could have sold it recently but i'd need somebody to confirm that.

I loved this bit the spokesperson requested that any suspicious devices be left alone and the garda notified i.e. please dont anybody else pick up a viable bomb put it in their car and drive it to the station!!!
    Your right, It's still owned by the same Family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

wouldn't you love to be driving behind someone taking a bomb to the station! Imagine if he was in an accident or even got slightly rear ended at lights

The guy who put the bomb in his boot is a candidate for the Darwin awards imo.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

tippspur wrote: »
    The guy who put the bomb in his boot is a candidate for the Darwin awards imo.:)
    having read this one at random i agree. Still i suppose he was scared. from what i read they have been victimised for years

Advertisement