Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File sharing & eircom

• 05-07-2010 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭

I heard so much about this in recent months & either I'm living under a rock, or the word just isn't coming out.

Has this attempt of tackling file sharing been successful, or a complete shambles?
    I know it's only early days, but I haven't heard anything about people's internet being disconnected.

I think it's quite amazing that Ireland is the only country to try and have a go in this area, & I'm actually very surprised it was us. Many countries, I'd say will be keeping an eye on this to see how it turns out.
    but I heard on the radio that it would be brilliant if only 10/20% of file sharing was prevented, by using this method, hence my question :)

all info is welcome.

NOTE: this IS NOT a sneaky attempt to find out ways to avoid the eircom ban.
    This is a genuine question.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Discussed on another thread,Eircom reckon they sending out 800 1st strikes a month,http://torrentfreak.com/music-biz-set-to-3-strike-two-thirds-of-irish-broadband-100616/ Personally I haven't met anyone thats got one.Eircom in enough trouble according to the news today so dunno how they gona be enforcing this when they've bigger problems at the moment.If 800 a month left eircom because of warnings thats a lot of revenue lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Jay1989 wrote: »
    I heard so much about this in recent months & either I'm living under a rock, or the word just isn't coming out.

Has this attempt of tackling file sharing been successful, or a complete shambles?
    I know it's only early days, but I haven't heard anything about people's internet being disconnected.

You need to make clearer that what you are speaking about is not
    File Sharing
    but sharing material for which the sharer has no right to do so.

Quite a difference .......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Well they are doing it, my friend got a 1st strike letter, they even said in the letter what was downloaded (an album).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Condi wrote: »
    Apparently this is a copy of said letter:
    http://www.yourtechstuff.com/techwire/2010/06/eircoms-3-strikes-letter.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

To the river! If she drowns she's guilty,if she doesn't she's also guilty-burn her at the stake so (along with her computer)!! Theres nobody borrowing my cd's anymore in case irma are watching.As long as people consider music overpriced they will share it,little Jimmy buys cd,Johnny likes it and makes a copy for himself,the net allows this to be carried out digitally.Not condoning the practice but don't like Eircoms big brother/big stick approach.Personally wouldn't go near em.No letters for me:D

Advertisement