Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting disconnections

• 05-07-2010 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Recently I'm getting a lot of disconnections with eircom and it's very annoying especially when I'm gaming online. I'm with eircom so I'm just wondering would it be settings that are causing these disconnections or is it just a dodgy line, I used to get barely any disconnections at all, but the last few weeks I've been getting a good few.

Now I was going through my settings and nothing seems to be weird to me even though I haven't really a clue. :D

There is something about DHCP lease though and the setting is 0days 1hours 0minutes 0seconds, could this be possibly causing it?

I'm in dire help so any help is appreciated, cheers folks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Are you using wireless or ethernet to the router.

As always (yawn, yawn) line stats are the best start to trying to solver your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Finical wrote: »
    There is something about DHCP lease though and the setting is 0days 1hours 0minutes 0seconds, could this be possibly causing it?

Where are you seeing that lease time if it's correct you'll be disconnected for a few milliseconds every hour while the device renews it's IP. Wouldn't mean much for web browsing but will play havoc with online gaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

dub45 wrote: »
    Are you using wireless or ethernet to the router.

As always (yawn, yawn) line stats are the best start to trying to solver your problem.
    If this is any good Line attention 36.00 downstream and 20.00 upstream. I'm using ethernet straight to router for gaming.
    n0brain3r wrote: »
    Where are you seeing that lease time if it's correct you'll be disconnected for a few milliseconds every hour while the device renews it's IP. Wouldn't mean much for web browsing but will play havoc with online gaming
    I'm getting DHCP lease under advanced settings in expert mode it's in DHCP Server. Should I edit it or something because I actually played a solid two hours there with no trouble.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Finical wrote: »
    If this is any good Line attention 36.00 downstream and 20.00 upstream. I'm using ethernet straight to router for gaming.

I'm getting DHCP lease under advanced settings in expert mode it's in DHCP Server. Should I edit it or something because I actually played a solid two hours there with no trouble.

Thats basically grand whats your SNR and are you using wireless or ethernet?

You might behaving other issues but if your lease time is only an hour you should correct that too try the steps below to confirm your lease

On your PC click on Start and Run type cmd and hit return. Then type ipconfig /all and hit return.

See below and look for Local Area Connection or Wireless Connection if you're on wireless.

Find the Lease Obtained & Lease Expires if there is only an hour between them go back to where you found the lease time in the Advanced Settings on your Netopia and see can you change it to something like 8 days. Make sure to Apply or Save the settings it should be on the bottom of the page.

Then type the following ipconfig /release & hit return when it completes type ipconfig /renew & hit return it should spit out the info below.

If it doesn't or fails just reboot and carry out the first step to check your lease time and make sure it increased.

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : chello.ie
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.200.211(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 05 July 2010 17:14:09
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 13 July 2010 17:14:09
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.200.253
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.200.253
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . .

• Advertisement

Cheers fellas for the help.

I done that n0brain3r and it has increased now! You reckon that was causing the problems? Does this mean everytime I turn router off/on the lease will be reset take 8 days to expire again?

Can you set it even longer than 8 days?

Yeah well it would have caused your PC/PS3/XBox whatever device was using it to access the internet to release and renew its IP every hour. Which in turn would disconnect you from the internet for the duration of the renewal generally a few milliseconds but can take longer. Enough to disconnect an online gaming session though.

Switching off the router would force any device to renew its IP and lease but isn't of any real benefit.

8 days is the lease time I've always come across but anything over 24 hours should be fine all you want is to be sure it doesn't renew while you're using it.

n0brain3r wrote: »
    Yeah well it would have caused your PC/PS3/XBox whatever device was using it to access the internet to release and renew its IP every hour. Which in turn would disconnect you from the internet for the duration of the renewal generally a few milliseconds but can take longer. Enough to disconnect an online gaming session though.

Switching off the router would force any device to renew its IP and lease but isn't of any real benefit.

8 days is the lease time I've always come across but anything over 24 hours should be fine all you want is to be sure it doesn't renew while you're using it.
    Cool, thanks for all the help man. Appreciated. :)

Advertisement