Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

circuit question

Options
  • 05-07-2010 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

hi all . just a quick question , as a general rule of thumb how many sockets should you put on a circuit and how many lights should you put on a circuit? cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

radial circuits for sockets(rule 554)
    recommend max number of points;10
    one point may serve a single or double socket

circuit for lighting
    recommend max number of points;10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i tend to 'zone' lighting circuits when using leds/cfls

to avoid blackout and for maintenance etc.

the 10 lights per circuit rule seems somewhat obsolete now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

M cebee wrote: »
    i tend to 'zone' lighting circuits when using leds/cfls

to avoid blackout and for maintenance etc.

the 10 lights per circuit rule seems somewhat obsolete now

By zoning, do you mean using separate switches on each zone?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

He means design the circuit layout so that the loss of any 1 circuit would not leave an entire "zone" in darkness. It is good practice.

Don't forget to put bathroom lights on rcd. It's a regulation now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

2011 wrote: »
    He means design the circuit layout so that the loss of any 1 circuit would not leave an entire "zone" in darkness. It is good practice.

Yes, but is each zone controlled separately, or are they all controlled by the same switch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if the lighting load is small ie:330 leds at 3watt=1 kilowatt

whereas 10 100watt bulbs is a kilowattt

'maintenance' and 'avoidance of blackout' can be considered when determining the number of lighting circuits required

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, but is each zone controlled separately, or are they all controlled by the same switch?
    That depends on what is required. Both optins are possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

meercat wrote: »
    Don't forget to put bathroom lights on rcd. It's a regulation now.

can it be on a rcbo or just part of the rcd circuit?

glic
    I generally put the bathrooms/ensuites on a seperste zone protected by 10amp rcbo.

• Advertisement

glic
    I generally put the bathrooms/ensuites on a seperste zone protected by 10amp rcbo.

so you would put the bathroom and en-suite on the same 10amp rcbo?

Or you could use 12 volt lighting that has a suitable IP rating and not use any RCD / RCBO and still comply.

If they are on the same floor.

If they are on the same floor.

yeah the main bathroom and en suite practically beside each other

I am open to correction here, but I don't see why the bathroom lighting should have to be on the same floor to share a circuit.

2011 wrote: »
    I am open to correction here, but I don't see why the bathroom lighting should have to be on the same floor to share a circuit.

would have thought the same but the down stairs bathroom i take it doesnt have to be on an rcbo/rcd? even in the upstairs main bathroom and ensuite its on 1 light fitting in each he doesnt want lights for mirrors or anything

Thanks lads. Probably just as handy to do upstairs bathrooms on one circuit , downstairs on another.
    In all zones of a room containing a bath or shower every circuit shall be protected by rcd except selv

Advertisement