Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need some advice on strap and battery replacement

• 05-07-2010 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,.

I hope you can help me. While I am not a watch connaisseur in the Grand scheme of things I own quite a few watches, and most of them need some attention.

I need batteries for quite a few, and I need to get strap repairs done on a couple of waterproof watches.

The strap repairs are for one Roxy and one Ripcurl watch. I additionally need batteries for two or three Ripcurl watches.

I also need batteries for a couple of other watches including one Fossil watch and a few other watches that are Mercedes branded, and an Animal watch which I think may also be waterproof. Two of them will also need new leather straps.

I live in Dublin. The most urgent one is the strap on the Roxy because I use it for swim training. I realise it may be that I need to send it back to Ripcurl to get it repaired and if so, woudl need to know where to send it. All the watches are out of guarantee at this stage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Calina,
    This is the main reason that [nowadays] I almost exclusively buy automatic, mechanical, solar, or anything but watches that need batteries.

Unless, you are dealing with high end expensive watches, I always suggest a local dealer.

The problem with taking a quartz watch to anyone but the manufacturer is that once the original seal is broken, the waterproof warranty is void. In order to keep the warranty and waterproofing the watch must go back to the manufacturer or someone authorized by them.

There's the problem. They usually want you to mail it to them (you'll want to insure) and pay for the return shipping + insurance. This usually leads to a €40+ battery.

As for straps, I would be tempted to do them myself, although anyone can do them.

How much waterproofing do you need? Most jewelers can replace a battery and the waterproofing will be fine for washing hands and a lap of the pool. However, I wouldn't try it at depth. Ask them point blank if they guarantee the waterproofing - I doubt they will.

IMHO, your decision comes down to the value of the watch vs how many times you can get away with having the local jeweler replace the battery.

Advertisement