Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trade in

Options
  • 05-07-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

Will a dealer give much money off a new rifle if you trade in your old one anymore?was thinking trading my cz452lux for a cz452 varmint or Silhouette.my lux is in perfect nick has a 3x9x40 hawke scope.any idea how much theyd give you against a new one?Is it much hassle swapping the license over and do you have pay for that change?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

In my experience, you would do better to sell the rifle to a private party.

In general, the dealer is going to want to make money on the re-sale of the old firearm, thus, as your middleman, he's going to have to get something.

It won't hurt to ask though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

FISMA wrote: »
    In my experience, you would do better to sell the rifle to a private party.

In general, the dealer is going to want to make money on the re-sale of the old firearm, thus, as your middleman, he's going to have to get something.

It won't hurt to ask though.[/QUOTi
    I agree you will get nothing from a gun dealer, you will get the sad story of recession, minus the VAT Minus anything else they can screw you for,plus they will tell you that they have a hundred of that model second hand in stock and cant shift them, BUT :mad: if you went to buy or enquire about that particular model to buy second hand you will be told F--k like HENS TEETH very scarce annd pricey. Take your time Sell it privately and shop around otherwise you will be screwed, I KNOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

The best deal I think you are likely to get is for the dealer to break even on the trade in and make fair profit off of the new one.

If you really want to:

1) Call up and ask how much the used model will cost from the dealer. Specify condition, ask if in stock, and/or see how long it would take to acquire.

2) Do your HW and find out what your new kit will cost, fair market price.

3) Go to dealer with old and new and see what kind of a deal you are being offered.

I would not begrudge the dealer a hundred euro to flip the old one - cost of doing business. However, that assumes they are not raking you over the coals on the new one.

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

bazza888 wrote: »
    Will a dealer give much money off a new rifle if you trade in your old one anymore?was thinking trading my cz452lux for a cz452 varmint or Silhouette.my lux is in perfect nick has a 3x9x40 hawke scope.any idea how much theyd give you against a new one?Is it much hassle swapping the license over and do you have pay for that change?

Why are you changing?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

otherwise you will be screwed, I KNOW
    The relevant term is caveat emptor.
    Any business is going to try to make a profit from its customers. That's the sole purpose for business in the first place.
    The question is, do you get enough out of the business's services to justify the profit they make?

Personally, I think we've probably got about 50% more firearms dealers in Ireland than the market could support properly. We don't have a high turnover of firearms, we've a small pool to start from, and when most shooters are hunters who won't go through two boxes of ammunition per season, there's not much margin to begin with.

Mind you, that said, it's not like there aren't dealers who compensate for low sales with high prices instead of better services and competition. But what caveat emptor gives them, the market takes away...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

was just toying with the idea of changing,i like my 452 lux but hate the hogs back stock I used to use it with no scope loved it,with a scope i dont like it as much,think imight just hang on to it till next year if you get feck all for it,still does the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I was thinking that was the reason.

This might be something to consider.

If you're intent on changing the American would be a model I'd look at. Don't like varmint barrels on rimfires, but that's a personal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That cheekpiece looks like a good idea, given that the rifle isn't going to be worth much on a trade then drilling the stock isn't such a bad option.
    Of course if you could find a reasonably priced stock to fit your rifle it might be easier to change the stock for one that suits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

It will also depend on which dealer you go to and how much business you have given them before/ how well they know you.
    I've bought a heap of stuff off my local lad so when it came to trading in the 223 recently I got a good deal. He was up front about it, told me what he was making off of it and I thought that was fair. After all, whether you sell it privately or trade it in you are still going to have to give some money to a dealer for the paper work.
    It comes down to this: do you want money for your rifle now and no hassle? Or, do you want to wait around and try to sell your rifle privately for what will probably be only a hundred quid more?

I went for the easy route and I think I came out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Will sort out your problem http://www.cabelas.com/p-0005794220711a.shtml for yea

• Advertisement
Advertisement