Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flies in the kitchen

• 05-07-2010 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

sorry if this is in the wrong place have put in accommodation and property also

the pipe under the kitchen sink broke i say broke it fell off and it took landlord a whole month and phone call from threshold and prtb to come and fix it would have done it myself but was 7mths pregnant at time and really didnt know how to fix it
    anyway its fixed however it still drips and with this hot weather there are lots of flies emerging from a hole in the back of the cupboard underneath the sink
    they are little flies like fruit flies i think and they dive bomb you when ever your in the kitchen think it has something to do with the amount of water that may have gone down back of press when pipe was gone

so if i buy lots of bleach and pour this down the back of the press should it get rid of the flies do you think or should i go ringing the landlord demanding he come and sort it out bare in mind i have 5wks to go with pregnancy and dont need or want anymore hassle than is necessary but kitchen is now a nightmare to go into :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Bleach down the back of the press will do diddly squat. Fruit flies love fruit or other sweet things so try a few of these ideas:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fruit-Flies

or
    just keep all food sealed tight and open the windows for a few hours each day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Put a good blast of fly killer through the hole, then seal it closed with sticky tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

think i'll do the fly killer as im not sure if they are fruit flies or not all the fruit i have i keep in the fridge so none is lying around and no food lying around either...

flies are definitely coming from under the sink behind the hole where the pipe comes out which is what was broken in the first place and every time you ran the tap or emptied the sink after washing dishes the water was just pouring onto the floor and as the house is at a slight slant running down the concrete floor and out through the walls i really didnt notice this happening until i had tap running for a bit one day and the whole kitchen floor got wet then went investigating when i seen pipe was completely gone rang LL straight away but it took him a whole month to fix it, it was a complete nightmare

the flies are little see through/grey ones that dive bomb you then there are small black ones (dont know if black ones are mature ones of the see through ones) but they kinda remind me of the ones you see that grow from damp patches or rancid water that has no where to drain as such you know the ones you see on nature programmes with loads of little flies over water in hot countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you describing mosquitos? They will breed wherever there is a pool of stagnent water. Mosquitoes are a lot bigger than fruit flies, you can easily see that they have legs and wings. Its a bit doubtful that you would have that many, and you would quite likely have been bitten.

Get some duct tape (that grey tape, they have it in Tesco for about €1.50) and seal round the pipe, see if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

looksee wrote: »
    Are you describing mosquitos? They will breed wherever there is a pool of stagnent water. Mosquitoes are a lot bigger than fruit flies, you can easily see that they have legs and wings. Its a bit doubtful that you would have that many, and you would quite likely have been bitten.

Get some duct tape (that grey tape, they have it in Tesco for about €1.50) and seal round the pipe, see if that helps.

no def not mosquitoes these are tiny little things when i get up in the morning they are all over the place and go straight for your eyes or mouth (water) and it does feel like they bite you but dont know if im just freaking myself out and scratching like a nut job thinking they are biting must try catch one and take a picture
    going to chuck some bleach and fly killer down there and tape the whole thing up see if that works if not then demand LL send out the bug man

thanks so much for all the advice will let you all know how i get on tomorrow with operation serial fly murderer :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement