Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Burpee pickles

Options
  • 05-07-2010 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Burpees Golden are a victorian heritage beetroot, but are golden in colour.
    Roasted they are milder and sweeter than red beets.

This pickle was kind of a mistake, I was making up a pickle mix with what I thought was a cider vinegar, but it turns out it was a white wine vinegar.
    It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

goldenpickle.jpg

As with the malt and mustard pickle I roasted the beets instead of boiling them.
    From what I can gather on the net, boiling this type can drain all the colour from them.

They came out of the oven a lovely dark yellow.I was worried I would not have enough of them to pack out the jar, so I threw a small stutgarter onion from the garden in with the packet.

The pickle mix for 1 jar was:
    150ml White Wine Vinegar
    100ml Water
    4 tbl spoon sugar
    1 tbl spoon sea salt
    1 tbl spoon honey
    1 teaspoon mustard seeds
    2 teaspoon dill seeds
    4 cloves
    5 whole pepper corns
    2 cardamom pods
    2 cloves garlic
    1/2 stick cinnimon
    1/2 green chili
    1 cm ginger
    1 cm horseradish root.
    Fennel trimming root

In the jar I put
    1/2 green chili
    1 clove garlic
    fennel trimming leaves
    1 cardamom pod
    2cm horseradish root
    1cm ginger root.

All the rest in terms of method etc was as with the malt and mustard pickle.

It should be interesting, but regardless of how it turns out, it looks lovely in the bottle.

Advertisement