Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trip to Tipp 2010

• 05-07-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Anyone done this before ?
    If so, what was your experience of it ?

Looking at the 100k course myself.

Do you they take registrations on the day ?
    I'll email them anyways to find out, but if someone knows, it would be handy :D

Cheers a mill !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nosedive

How about posting a link or telling us all (who don't already know) what and when 'Trip to Tipp' is??

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Bobbins

I emailed two of the organisers about this yesterday. Am interested in the 100k also. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something back, nothing as of yet...... the most info I could find was here: http://www.bikerschallenge.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Done the 200km the last two years - well organised, good route, decent challenge, can't fault it very much and would expect the same to be true of the 100km.

Entry is higher this year than previous but hopeful that this will be reflected in the organisation/foodstops etc on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

nosedive wrote: »
    How about posting a link or telling us all (who don't already know) what and when 'Trip to Tipp' is??

Sorry nosedive, that woulda been handy alright !!
    I see it's already posted....

Bobbins wrote: »
    I emailed two of the organisers about this yesterday. Am interested in the 100k also. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something back, nothing as of yet...... the most info I could find was here: http://www.bikerschallenge.com

Got a mail back there within a few minutes.
    You can just turn up on the morning.

There's a 10euro discount if you have a valid Cycling Ireland Licence too.

• Advertisement

Got a mail back there within a few minutes.
    You can just turn up on the morning.

There's a 10euro discount if you have a valid Cycling Ireland Licence too.

I had suggested that to Katriona alright, takes a bit of the edge off it for sure.

I'd say give it a go, I'd need to have a look at the route to tell you very much more about it (the 100km) but if it's anything like the 200 which takes in (or certainly took in) the Glen of Aherlow and the Vee it'll be a very scenic and rewarding challenge

CheGuedara wrote: »
    I had suggested that to Katriona alright, takes a bit of the edge off it for sure.

I'd say give it a go, I'd need to have a look at the route to tell you very much more about it (the 100km) but if it's anything like the 200 which takes in (or certainly took in) the Glen of Aherlow and the Vee it'll be a very scenic and rewarding challenge

From the site:
    "The 100km cycle leaves Thurles and on to Dundrum and Tipperary Town through the beautiful Glen of Aherlow and on to Cashel back by Two Mile Borris and home to Thurles"

I'm from the around the area, so I have a rough idea of what the route might be, though might try to map it out and check if it adds up.
    Glen of Aherlow is a nice area alright !
    What were the numbers like in previous years ?

Not massive but certainly probably something between 200 and 300 between the different routes (rough estimate).

The way sportives have gone though I wouldn't be surprised if numbers increased this year

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Blazing Bikers

Hi

Sorry I am very late posting info about the Trip to Tipp this year on boards.ie

But I can give you the routes now that you have been enquiring about

Saturday 17th July Three Counties Tour 70KM
    Starting at 1pm Anner Hotel Thurles
    to
    Turnpike Two-Mile-Borris,
    Urlingford,
    Johnstown,
    Rathdowney,
    Erril (foodstop)
    Templemore,
    Thurles

Sunday 18th July
    Tipp 180
    Starting at 9:00am Sunday
    Anner Hotel Thurles
    to
    Holycross,
    Dundrum,
    Tipptown,
    Newtown/ Glen of Aherlow
    Bansha,
    Cahir,
    Clogheen,
    to the Vee
    Foodstop at the Cats Bar,
    Newcastle,
    to Clonmel (via Knocklofty)
    Clonmel to Cashel,
    Turnpike, Two-Mile-Borris,
    finishing at the Anner Hotel.

Medium Route 100km @ 10:30am
    This is the same as the long route to Bansha,
    then Bansha,
    Golden,
    Cashel (Foodstop)
    Turnpike Two mile Borris,
    Thurles.

Medium Route 70KM @ 10:30am
    Anner Hotel Thurles
    Holycross,
    Dundrum,
    Cashel (Food stop)
    Turnpike, Two-mile-Borris
    Thurles

Short Route 20km @ 11:30am
    Anner Hotel Thurles,
    Pouldine Cross,
    Littleton (Food stop),
    Turnpike, Two-Mile-Borris,
    Thurles

There will be waterstops also along the way on each route.
    There will also be maps provided on the day.

I have attached the flyer also about the event

I should have the maps uploaded to the website by tonight or tomorrow

Saturday's entry fee is 40e and Sunday's entry fee is 50e.
    As mentioned there is a 10e reduction to both entry fees if you hold a Valid Cycling Ireland Licence.

www.bikerschallenge.com

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Blazingbikers/243199936240?ref=ts

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blazingbikers/243199936240?ref=ts#!/event.php?eid=123624757677125&index=1

Will be be open for registrations from 11:30am on Saturday and 7:30am on Sunday in the Car Park of the Anner Hotel .

You can just turn up on the day to register but if you would like to send me a mail to give some idea of the numbers that would be great :)

Any other questions or if you need sponsorship cards just let me know

Katriona
    blazingbikers@gmail.com

Right so - here's a few attempts at mapping the longer routes

180km

100km

Few changes to previous years' routes as far as I can tell.

Great climbs through the Glen and over the Vee...

• Advertisement

How tough is the climb at Glen of Aherlow? Did the ROK this year, I assume that would be prep enough?? Although, I'm not the world's fittest...:o

Bobbins wrote: »
    How tough is the climb at Glen of Aherlow? Did the ROK this year, I assume that would be prep enough?? Although, I'm not the world's fittest...:o

Ah if you did the ROK in a reasonable time then the Glen shouldn't be too bad. It's a fairly short climb of two parts with a hairpin in the middle. IIRC it kicks a little bit at the start and then the gradient calms down and stays pretty constant, the descent needs a bit of caution but that's about it.

If you're considering the 180 km there's also the Vee which isn't as steep but is longer, a classic tempo climb, and would compare to Coomachiste

• Registered Users Posts: 14 amgelec

what's classed as a reasonable time in the ROK though??

I'd always consider an average pace of 15-16mph/24-26kph (on a road bike) as indicative of a rider covering the R.O.K. with relative comfort - thus a ride time of 7hrs or better being a GOOD time for the day.

It's what we try to train all our new/novice members to do for their first R.O.K. Some take longer to do it, some significantly less but we have found that training to that average pace or better over any distance results in riders that can go out and enjoy charity cycles and sportives but without finding themselves having to dig into the bottom of the barrel just to complete them

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Ah if you did the ROK in a reasonable time then the Glen shouldn't be too bad. It's a fairly short climb of two parts with a hairpin in the middle. IIRC it kicks a little bit at the start and then the gradient calms down and stays pretty constant, the descent needs a bit of caution but that's about it.

If you're considering the 180 km there's also the Vee which isn't as steep but is longer, a classic tempo climb, and would compare to Coomachiste

Cheers Che :)

well then I guess my 8hr cycle time would be classed as reasonable in that case. Thanks che :)

Reasonable would be how I'd put it too :D

We train up for other events like the challenge cycles held by other clubs and the An Post series and we've just found that being able to keep the average pace I mentioned sees riders able to stay amongst the main groups of riders, cover their route without making it a long day in the saddle and still do it in a way that they're able to soak up their surroundings as they go (i.e. that they're not head-down-going-flat-out and missing the scenery and the point of the cycle in the first place).

Nothing wrong with a more leisurely pace, TBH pace can be irrelevant if you're just enjoying the day that's in it, especially in the case of charity cycles like the R.O.K.

At sportives it can sometimes be a little different where one could run the risk of working for long periods of time by themselves after falling out of the 'peloton' where one gets the most advantage of riding in a group (which make a big difference in wet and windy days so common in our Irish Summer), falling behind support vehicles (who may have to prioritise providing support to the greater number of riders ahead), arriving late to food/water/break stops only to see other riders moving off already or even the sad, scant reminants of once plentiful plates of sandwiches and even finding the hot water has run out in the showers after a late finish. So higher paces - not necessary but can have their pros

well considering I only started cycling mid-March I was delighted with myself so don't go bursting my bubble on me ;)
    Besides I'm built for comfort and not speed hehe will aim for sub-seven next yr :D

Hehe - no bubble bursting intended!

We all started off cycling the same way - keep it up and you'll find yourself improving all the time :D

Some day on a bike guys, some day.

Lotsa rain, which added to the challenge of the day and made things a bit of work but it was a great example of a very well run, well executed small (in the context of things like the An Post series) sportive.

The route definitely had enough to keep everyone interested with Mt Mellory (sp) added to the Glen of Aherlow and Vee ascents of previous years. My own personal performance on these left a lot to be desired - could've just been a bit of a bonk or still being depleted after being unwell last week but the result was I couldn't climb for sh!te.

The marshalls were just excellent with motor cycle outriders going ahead and holding all the junctions for the peloton for the whole day and one (I think his name was Karl (?)) on a wine color Harley gave me multiple assists on some of the small hills and kicker climbs when I was shelled out and losing touch with the group. Mechanical assist yes but better than any gruber assist!! I'd though about getting in the broom wagon and his help and the phrase 'shut up legs' going through my head kept me on the bike where I'd otherwise have called it quits at 140km, so major thanks to Karl.

The food stop was great, tea/coffee, cake, melon, raisins, chocolate bars, crisps and more sandwiches than one could ever eat (and taking a page from BK's 'have it your way' philosophy which was a nice touch).

The last 30km were a bit of a blur as I got a bit of a second wind and worked in a good group back to Thurles.

Lastly - thanks to my clubmate (buzzing noise here on boards) who came back and rode some of the climbs with me n helped me catch the peloton after my p!ss poor climbs when he could have easily kept up with the front runners, it's really appreciated man.

The event suffered a bit from the weather today but I'll be back my 4th Trip to Tipp next year - it's a great event and I'd really recommend it

Stats for the ride; 182km in 6h42, avg 27.1kph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

Yes, it's a very well run event.

That second traversal of the Knockmealdowns via the Mount Melleray climb made the route more challenging than last year.

The marshalling was easily the best on any sportive I've done - we didn't have to give way to traffic at any point. As with last year, some guy named Jim was the patron of the peleton and used a whistle (honestly!) to control the pace outside of the 'categorised climbs' when people were allowed to ride their own pace.

The support vans had a supply of front and rear wheels so if you punctured, you just took a replacement wheel and got your own back at the finish. Very cool.

The food stop was excellent. As well as the usual stuff like sandwiches, cake, jellies, Mars bars, etc., there were healthly options like a mini salad bar, bowlfuls of mixed nuts, and a massive quantity of melon (thought to help prevent cramping).

It was a shame about the fairly low turn-out. I don't know if this was because of the weather, the Iveragh 200 being on the previous day, or the relatively high cost of entry (€50 or €40 for CI members).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭damo80

very good, in fact excellent, event i must say. couldnt fault a single thing. not even the weather (character building :D). food stop was like a corner of heaven, especially after that "descent" of the Vee, wind was blowing me further back then forward!!!! and plenty of water stops.
    Mount Mellory was in a word Ouch!!! but the spin back in from clonmel was nice and smooth...ish.
    great day and hearty thanks to the organisers.

and Che dont be beating yourself up about those climbs. everybody suffered.

Advertisement