Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod Classic won't format

• 05-07-2010 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

My friend gave me his 80GB Ipod classic to get rid of on adverts. Gonna see if it's fixable before I do.

The problem is that when it is connected into my laptop (running windows7ultimate) Windows explorer tells me that it has to be formatted before I can use it.
    I don't need the media all ready on the ipod so I don't need to back it up. When I try format it in exFat(default) or NTFS using quick format it says "Windows was unable to complete Format" And when I untick the 'quick format' box it takes much longer until the "Windows was unable to complete Format" dialog box appears again.

iTunes can't read the ipod. When it's plugged into the computer the screen says "Connected"

Any apple heads be able to help me out? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gadget.Repair

WilliamOC wrote: »
    My friend gave me his 80GB Ipod classic to get rid of on adverts. Gonna see if it's fixable before I do.

The problem is that when it is connected into my laptop (running windows7ultimate) Windows explorer tells me that it has to be formatted before I can use it.
    I don't need the media all ready on the ipod so I don't need to back it up. When I try format it in exFat(default) or NTFS using quick format it says "Windows was unable to complete Format" And when I untick the 'quick format' box it takes much longer until the "Windows was unable to complete Format" dialog box appears again.

iTunes can't read the ipod. When it's plugged into the computer the screen says "Connected"

Any apple heads be able to help me out? :(

Sounds to me like the hdd is gone prob why he's selling :)

does it work at all when not connected to itunes

is it making clicking noise when booting up ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

Something very similar to me happened to me recently, and after trying almost everything, the problem turned out to be that the usb connector was damaged. I doubt it's the same problem but its worth a check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Sounds to me like the hdd is gone prob why he's selling :)

does it work at all when not connected to itunes

is it making clicking noise when booting up ???

Yeah you can scroll through categories and settings and whatever. The music and videos have corrupted on it so you can't see them but they're there.
    And when connected it goes into sync mode and I've tied reformat in DFU mode but no luck but in DFU mode itunes does read it and asks to restore it but it also doesn't work. Yeah the HDD is probably gone.. :(

Something very similar to me happened to me recently, and after trying almost everything, the problem turned out to be that the usb connector was damaged. I doubt it's the same problem but its worth a check.

Was yours able to be read by your computer? Like not the HDD but when it's just connected does windows explorer pick it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

WilliamOC wrote: »
    Was yours able to be read by your computer? Like not the HDD but when it's just connected does windows explorer pick it up?

I don't think so, I remember constantly getting an error message saying something along the lines of "USB device not recognised"

Advertisement