Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twisted neck help!!

• 05-07-2010 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

Was jamming tonight and left my guitar(Eggle Berlin) in the back of my car while in work today. It got pretty hot(Black car) and when playing something felt wrong. On close inspection the neck has slightly twisted.

I'll drop it into Derek Nelson at the weekend but should I loosen the strings to relieve tension so will leave it as is? I'm hoping a truss rod adjustment will fix it :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Quattroste wrote: »
    Was jamming tonight and left my guitar(Eggle Berlin) in the back of my car while in work today. It got pretty hot(Black car) and when playing something felt wrong. On close inspection the neck has slightly twisted.

I'll drop it into Derek Nelson at the weekend but should I loosen the strings to relieve tension so will leave it as is? I'm hoping a truss rod adjustment will fix it :(

Certainly don't loosen the strings as I think that may make it worse. Just make sure it's kept in tune for the moment and at "room temperature" (not too hot/not too cold). It may settle back in a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

Get it to a repairman, dont touch it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 GerryHayes

The actual answer to this really depends on how the neck has 'twisted'. Chances are however, that if the heat has caused any deformation of the neck, it will be in the direction of string-pull and slackening off strings won't hurt it. If it was mine (based on the limited information), I would slacken off the strings.

The truss rod in the Eggle won't fix an actual twist - it'll help counteract a bowed neck but that's a different kettle of fish. A twist will likely need a bit more than a truss-rod adjustment but Derek can certainly advise. Twisted necks are much less common than apocryphal tales might suggest so fingers crossed.

Advertisement