Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glow In the Dark Tattoos in Dublin?

• 05-07-2010 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere offering glow in the dark ink in Dublin? Im in the process of planning tatt number 2 and am considering using some glow in the dark tattoo ink in the design. I know its relativly new still and it doesnt seem to be in regular usage so Im not sure where to look.

Also, if anyone has any pics of the finished result or any experience having this done themselves I would love to hear/see.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

AFAIK... there is no glow in the dark ink.
    You can get UV inks (kind of) but not glow in the dark

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Ruthie-Roux

AFAIK... there is no glow in the dark ink.
    You can get UV inks (kind of) but not glow in the dark

I`ve heard of those---ink which is white/invisible under normal light but glows under UV light---right?
    Maybe thats what Im thinking of. Although Im pretty sure I have heard of an ink that glows, as in not just under uv light but in the dark in general. Maybe I heard wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

UV and "Phosphorescent" ie glow in the dark ink does exist but as yet none of the main manafacturers have taken the idea on board. This means that the sterility of the inks is suspect. Also there is doubt over the make up of the inks, such as what exactly is making them glow. Thats why most reputable artists won't touch them, they may go in fine now, but nobody knows what will happen to you in 10 or 20 years time.. After all if the chemicals in the ink are dodgy, you may find yourself glowing a bit more than you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Ruthie-Roux

Yeah thats what I was afraid of. I half expected to hear about safety issues as I would imagine if it was safe it would be more widely used. Would be really cool if it was safe though.

UV and "Phosphorescent" ie glow in the dark ink does exist but as yet none of the main manafacturers have taken the idea on board. This means that the sterility of the inks is suspect. Also there is doubt over the make up of the inks, such as what exactly is making them glow. Thats why most reputable artists won't touch them, they may go in fine now, but nobody knows what will happen to you in 10 or 20 years time.. After all if the chemicals in the ink are dodgy, you may find yourself glowing a bit more than you wanted to.

The UV inks have been taken on by a number of manufacturers, but not all, as they are not simply normal inks, they are UV ink encapsulated in capsules which are then suspended in a medium (I believe it's just water). There is a guy I know that is a sporadic visitor to the forum these days that had a couple of UV tattoos done, and really did his homework when it comes to the composition of the inks, and would be able to go a lot more in-depth than I could. Hopefully he notices the topic and posts on it, and in the meantime I'll see if I can dig up the older posts he made on the subject. If I recall correctly, he sourced the inks himself, and brought them to the artist (who he had discussed it with and had agreed to do the tattoo using the ink)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

The UV inks have been taken on by a number of manufacturers, but not all, as they are not simply normal inks, they are UV ink encapsulated in capsules which are then suspended in a medium (I believe it's just water). There is a guy I know that is a sporadic visitor to the forum these days that had a couple of UV tattoos done, and really did his homework when it comes to the composition of the inks, and would be able to go a lot more in-depth than I could.
    I is no spore:mad:, I is a lurker!:pac:
    *jumps back into the shadows, tripping over the bucket of popcorn he left there*:o

And yup, the spheres are suspended in UV sterilised, distilled water.
    Hopefully he notices the topic and posts on it, and in the meantime I'll see if I can dig up the older posts he made on the subject. If I recall correctly, he sourced the inks himself, and brought them to the artist (who he had discussed it with and had agreed to do the tattoo using the ink)
    Pretty much, at first they thought I was trying to sell it to them. :D
    Bought them from Crazy Chameleon in the US back in 06, got the first UV tattoo that winter, in spite of the rumours you might hear from people regarding the ink:rolleyes: it has not noticibly faded and I have had no reactions to it. Have 3 UV tattoos in white at this point, was debating getting another last winter, but never got around to it.

As to what shops might actually have it in stock themselves, I'm afraid I wouldn't know, since there is the regular scaremongering about the ink they're undoubtedly hesitant and throw in the problem of how common a request they'd be compared to normal inks and it may just not seem worth the hassle to many studios.

I've tried take pics before, but unfortunately difficult as taking a pic of a normal tattoo is, taking a pic of a UV one while also holding a UV lamp to make it glow...:(:(:(

c20rpg.jpg

Reku wrote: »
    I is no spore:mad:, I is a lurker!:pac:
    Silence spore! :pac: (I'd not name dropped you, as all I could remember was your old name, couldn't remember what you'd changed it to!!!:o)
    Bought them from Crazy Chameleon in the US back in 06, got the first UV tattoo that winter, in spite of the rumours you might hear from people regarding the ink:rolleyes: it has not noticibly faded and I have had no reactions to it. Have 3 UV tattoos in white at this point, was debating getting another last winter, but never got around to it.
    Actually planning to get a tattoo that will... incorporate UV ink, so thanks for that link! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Heres another brand which is approved for use in the EU.Comes with MSDS sheets and conform to all EU guidlines.

http://www.thetattooshop.co.uk/shop/products/neon-invisible-uv-blacklight-tattoo-ink.htm

Do you know, is this:
    neoninvisible.jpg
    the colour that the Immortal Ink one glows under UV? Would have expected the more blue-ish white glow... ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Do you know, is this:
    neoninvisible.jpg
    the colour that the Immortal Ink one glows under UV? Would have expected the more blue-ish white glow... ?

The invisible one is that one up there^^^

Supposed to go in invisible and only show under UV.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Heres another brand which is approved for use in the EU.Comes with MSDS sheets and conform to all EU guidlines.

http://www.thetattooshop.co.uk/shop/products/neon-invisible-uv-blacklight-tattoo-ink.htm

It's nice to be able to get them from in the EU but one of the things I still like about the crazy chameleon site relative to that one is that they were more open with and accurate with the information on the exact make-up of the inks.

From the site you link to:
    The inks are made up from Organic pigment, Distilled Water, Glycerin,, Alcohol and Witch Hazel

Witch Hazel in tattoo ink, really???:confused:
    MSDS for Witch Hazel
    Other Toxic Effects on Humans:
    Hazardous in case of ingestion, of inhalation. Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, permeator).
    I'd imagine injecting it under the skin would likely cause an even more significant irritation of the skin.
    MSDS for Glycerin
    Other Toxic Effects on Humans: Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation.
    I'm hoping the levels are low enough in the mix that larger tattoos with the inks would not pose a risk of getting the acute exposure symptoms as the sound rather unpleasent.

The alcohol in the mix won't make things better either.

They give no mention to PMMA capsules around the inks, which, if there is none and they are just relying on the basis of the inks being "organic" means they're a very different product to the ink I have in me. (organic just means molecules where the core of the molecule is carbon, it does not mean safe!).
    PMMA has been deemed safe enough in the human body that they use it for medical implants:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly(methyl_methacrylate)

From Crazy Chameleon's site the MSDS of the actual ink:
    POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS
    EYES: Can cause irritation due to physical contact.
    SKIN: Practically negligible or none.

One benefit I can see to dropping the PMMA is that getting the ink laser removed at a later time, if you're so inclined, might be safer (having worked in laser processing of materials, including polymers, I would not advise being the guinea pig as to how safe laser removal of PMMA based inks is, polymers seem to have a habit of 'funny' behaviour when hit with lasers).

Any chance of an upload of the MSDS the tattoo shop supplied with the ink Hellrazer, or a link to it on their site if I've just been a thicko and completely missed it?

It's nice to be able to get them from in the EU but one of the things I still like about the crazy chameleon site relative to that one is that they were more open with and accurate with the information on the exact make-up of the inks.
    Yeah they do seem to be more open alright.

Witch Hazel in tattoo ink, really???:confused:
    MSDS for Witch Hazel

Witch hazel has been used as a carrier solution for tattoo ink for years and a lot of artists use it to make up their grey shades for B+g work.

I'd imagine injecting it under the skin would likely cause an even more significant irritation of the skin.
    MSDS for Glycerin

Likewise with glycerin--A carrier solution thats been used for years.

I'm hoping the levels are low enough in the mix that larger tattoos with the inks would not pose a risk of getting the acute exposure symptoms as the sound rather unpleasent.

The alcohol in the mix won't make things better either.

Again alcohol has been used as a base for years with no ill effects reported.

Heres a link of what ink can contain.

http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Tattoo_ink
    Any chance of an upload of the MSDS the tattoo shop supplied with the ink Hellrazer, or a link to it on their site if I've just been a thicko and completely missed it?

Ive emailed the shop and hope they`ll send me the data sheet on.
    I`ll post it here if they do.

Witch hazel has been used as a carrier solution for tattoo ink for years and a lot of artists use it to make up their grey shades for B+g work.

Likewise with glycerin--A carrier solution thats been used for years.
    Interesting, is there some benefit to them to make it worth the risk of the aforementioned irritation by them?
    Again alcohol has been used as a base for years with no ill effects reported.
    My comment on that was more to do with the whole alcohol + open wound usually = :eek:. As a sterilising agent I can certainly see the benefit to having it in the mix, as long as they stick to actual ethanol and not other alcohols (our bodies don't handle the others so well...:rolleyes:). Alcohol's also a good solvent too of course.

http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Tattoo_ink
    Other common carrier components both in home made and commercial tattoo inks include alcohols, anti-freeze (ack! toxic!), formaldehyde (very toxic!), gluteraldehyde (also toxic!), water, witch hazel, and more—although a common professional base ingredient list might read "sterilized water, alcohol, glycerine"
    As regards the bit I've underlined FFS! What twit brewed up that cocktail as an ink!?:eek: Right up there with thinking drinking paint stripper might be fun IMO.

Advertisement