Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conduit Trunking for Cabling

Options
  • 05-07-2010 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Form reading up on design I noticed that there is 100's of types of trunking for cabling and wiring. I am wondering how you figure out how much trunking one needs. Is there a general rule?

NoseyMike2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

the size of it is determined by the amount of circuits it is expected to contain plus room for extra etc
    the guidelines for this are set out in the etci regulations

as for how much of it you would require for a job depends on personal choice location of services etc.

generally i try to keep trunking out of the way but close to everywhere there is services to cut down on the amount of conduit pipes running across ceilings etc

eg recently we wired a building and one room in particulare had over 20 drops so it made sense to run trunking on the ceiling around the perimeter of the room leaving room in the middle for the lights to be fitted etc

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭firemansam1

where do you come up with these questions

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Oh ... I didn't realise that some questions shouldn't be asked. Sorry firemansam :P

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Keep it up - your questions are facinating and the answers electrifying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Thanks lads ... I am only trying to learn!! Please no smart ass comments! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

danjo wrote: »
    Keep it up - your questions are facinating and the answers electrifying :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956387

???????

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Experience helps when sizing trunking. Here are a few tips: Always go larger than you expect to need as changing for a larger size once it is wired is often impossible. Try to limit sets and bends. Where possible have the lid facing up to make it easier to get the lid on. Trunking with different compartments can be used for different voltages. Earth tags should be used at joins to maintain earth continunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

2011 wrote: »
    Experience helps when sizing trunking. Here are a few tips: Always go larger than you expect to need as changing for a larger size once it is wired is often impossible. Try to limit sets and bends. Where possible have the lid facing up to make it easier to get the lid on. Trunking with different compartments can be used for different voltages. Earth tags should be used at joins to maintain earth continunity.

Are you talking about metal trunking or plastic?

Lid facing up, are you talking about the white stickyback type of conduit?

Trunking with different compartments. Is this available in plastic? or what type are you referring to?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I am talking about metal trunking. Sorry I should have stated that. I guessed that the OP was talking about industrial installations where most trunking is galvanized steel as most of his posts are about PLCs that are used in industry.

I am not talking about "white sticky stuff". There is no real requirement to size this.

Trunking with differentcompartments is available in both plastic and metal. I have seen and installed 6 compartment trunking on some projects in Dublin.

http://www.marshall-tufflex.com/shop/shopimages/sections/normal/pvcuperimeter_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Ta

The only on that I'm familiar with for multiple compartments is dado trunking

GFGX3800.JPG

where you can run power in one compartment and data in the other to reduce interference.

I've Not really dealt with industrial..

• Advertisement

Are you talking about metal trunking or plastic?

Lid facing up, are you talking about the white stickyback type of conduit?

Trunking with different compartments. Is this available in plastic? or what type are you referring to?

C'mon, this has to be a wind up!!!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

firemansam1, please do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Philistine

Nosey,

Example of trunking used in a junction box (JB). All cables are glanded into the base of the JB and routed up the sides through the trunking where they are brought out to their respective terminals.

Advertisement