Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rabbits

Options
  • 05-07-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

rabbits used to be pletyful and widespread in don eal i was wondering if there are many in inishowen and where about they are

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

They all got a ferry to Tory. Honestly there is thousands out there and there weird thing is every few years there seems to be an outbreak of myxomatosis which kills a huge percentage (90%+) it just doesn't seem to make a difference.

I know that if a rabbit isn't affected the first time they are immune and that immunity is passed on to its offspring so that would give a smaller number killed but why is there so many affected and killed the next time there is a wave of it? They must be coming in from a further (a)field.

I'd say a combination of myxomatosis and redevelopment of rural areas has taken it's toll on the population. but mainly myxomatosis. It's what they purposely released in Australia to try and kill them off as they are such a pest (all because an English landlord wanted to hunt them but wasn’t the greatest shot so some escaped and bred like well rabbits).

The things I’ve learnt reading Bill Bryson books!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

This disease first spotted here in 1995 is whats knocked the rabbits from making a comeback after myxymatosis;

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/viral/Rabbit_haemorraghic_disease.htm#CountriesInfAgDiseaseReport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

danniemcq wrote: »
    They all got a ferry to Tory. Honestly there is thousands out there and there weird thing is every few years there seems to be an outbreak of myxomatosis which kills a huge percentage (90%+) it just doesn't seem to make a difference.

I know that if a rabbit isn't affected the first time they are immune and that immunity is passed on to its offspring so that would give a smaller number killed but why is there so many affected and killed the next time there is a wave of it? They must be coming in from a further (a)field.

I'd say a combination of myxomatosis and redevelopment of rural areas has taken it's toll on the population. but mainly myxomatosis. It's what they purposely released in Australia to try and kill them off as they are such a pest (all because an English landlord wanted to hunt them but wasn’t the greatest shot so some escaped and bred like well rabbits).

The things I’ve learnt reading Bill Bryson books!

Plenty on Arranmore as well, theyre literally everywhere around dusk. Rarely see any anywhere else although the area around Finner Camp always seems to be infested with them whenever I pass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

boing boing boing boing!

Fracture wrote: »
    boing boing boing boing!

The noise Fractures bed never makes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

so i take it no 1 can tell me then????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I was up around the coast, from Buncrana Castle to Fort Dunree to Mamore Gap, two months ago, and spotted loads of them! I think the main breeding season is January to June, so they may be getting harder to spot now. Best time seems to be at dawn.

tbh, I've seen them throughout Donegal, I don't think, or wasn't aware, that they are rare.

mrmac wrote: »
    wasn't aware, that they are rare.

depends how the restaurant serves them

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Surely with your user name you'd have no problem hunting a rabbit down? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

danniemcq wrote: »
    depends how the restaurant serves them

Eh, shouldn't you be working???

:D

• Advertisement

mrmac wrote: »
    Eh, shouldn't you be working???

:D

Well I am at work... if that counts. You guys are all helping me figure out if, iserror and or functions for a spreadsheet i'm working on right?

Advertisement