Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric gates

Options
  • 05-07-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi i need to open existing electric gates from inside as someone drives out, now i could use an induction loop but i dont want to cut the tar so can anyone tell me is there another device i can use for the same purpose.many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

an infa red beam mounted on two posts 1 either side of dirveway inside the gate back far enough so that beam can be broken with out being in the way of gate opening. possibly something similar is already fitted on the pillars to stop gate closing while driving through.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

ok sounds good except everytime someone walks or child cycles on drive etc gates will open , is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

Generally they require a large mass eg a car etc to break the beam walkers etc usually aren't enough to activate the sensor

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you are going either side of the driveway it going to require digging or cutting anyway. You could mount a PiR on a piller looking up the driveway, however you are correct in saying it would be subject to false reading & the gates opening needlessly.
    I know its messy but the induction coil is the most reliable way to go.
    Is this subject to a lot of traffic? Would individual remotes or fobs not suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lightnin

Might be cheaper to dig...

HAI Wireless Driveway Sensor
    Wireless Driveway Sensor uses Earth’s magnetic field to detect large moving metal objects (such as automobiles) that pass by it. The Wireless Driveway Sensor can be used to turn on outdoor lighting when approaching, or used to alert homeowners when a visitor has entered the driveway. Since the 63A00-1 is wireless, there is no digging or underground cable required.
    thumb_DrivewaySensor.gif
    Available here

• Advertisement
Advertisement