Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Parent Home Owner & Affordable Housing

Options
  • 05-07-2010 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

I've got a friend who is currently expecting her first child but is not with the father anymore. She owns her own home in Wexford but works closer to Dublin where all her family live. She can't just sell up unfortunately as the value of her house has gone down but she can't stay down in Wexford on her own either with a kid.

My question is, with the affordable housing scheme, would the council help her get a home in Dublin for her and her unborn child to be closer to her family who could help support her even though she is not a first time buyer?

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

In certain circumstances the councils will sell affordable housing to non first time buyers, particularly in cases of separation etc. However I believe (I am open to correction on this) the property in Wexford would have to be sold first - this makes sense if you think about it otherwise in theory your friend could potentially have a rental income from the wexford property whilst being given state subsised housing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Your friend has posted on here and daft before about this and has been given answers.

as per the last time i replied to her

1) has she tried to get somebody in as a rent a room ?

2) is she ensuring she will get maintenance form the childs father ?

3) has she tried to speak to work to see if she can work from home some or all of the time. this will allow her reduce her childcare costs or perhaps get family to help

4) has she started to look for work in wexford, reducing her fuel costs to offset some of the childcare costs

5) has she considered moving to dublin and back in with her parents and perhaps renting out the wexford house ?

6) has she looked into a hosue swap ?

shes unlikely to get help when she owns a house and shes in neg equity so cant get rid. Theres lots of things she could try and do. the question is what has she actualyl tried to do so far ?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

D3PO wrote: »
    Your friend has posted on here and daft before about this and has been given answers.

as per the last time i replied to her

1) has she tried to get somebody in as a rent a room ?

2) is she ensuring she will get maintenance form the childs father ?

3) has she tried to speak to work to see if she can work from home some or all of the time. this will allow her reduce her childcare costs or perhaps get family to help

4) has she started to look for work in wexford, reducing her fuel costs to offset some of the childcare costs

5) has she considered moving to dublin and back in with her parents and perhaps renting out the wexford house ?

6) has she looked into a hosue swap ?

shes unlikely to get help when she owns a house and shes in neg equity so cant get rid. Theres lots of things she could try and do. the question is what has she actualyl tried to do so far ?

Sorry D3PO, not the same person/situation as you may have answered before. I have never posted about this before and I know my friend hasn't either. Thanks for your comments anyway.

Unfortunately she can't move back home, she can't move with her job, it's not so much about costs as it is being miles away from her family on her own with a kid. She hasn't looked into a house swap, didn't think that would be an option really but maybe worth checking out.

I know there are certain circumstances where she could maybe go on the affordable housing list as a seperated parent and it would make sense that she'd have to sell her house first. Has anyone had any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Get her to ring a council's affordable housing section. My friend was approved for it after she separated from her husband but ended up buying privately.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

While your friend owns the property in Wexford, she will not be considered for Affordable Housing elsewhere. In addition- she would not meet lending criterion- if she has an o/s mortgage- on either the private or council schemes.

If she sells the property in Wexford, and does not have outstanding debts- she could make a case to be considered for the AH scheme- however she does not meet the criteria attached to the scheme, and might very well not succeed.

In any event- AH properties are being removed from the market all over the place at the moment- some are being used as social housing, others being put on the open market. Open Market Prices are in many cases either similar or in some extreme cases- lower than AH prices.......

The AH scheme has had its day unfortunately- what it will be replaced with in due course- I have no idea......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

Thanks for all your replies. Some options there to consider anyway.

Definitely no easy way out for anyone in these times. Still, could be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Could you not rent out the house in wexford,and rent a 2bed house in dublin, or a large 2bed flat or apartment.

ricman wrote: »
    Could you not rent out the house in wexford,and rent a 2bed house in dublin, or a large 2bed flat or apartment.

and what does she do between occupancies ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

and what does she do between occupancies ? :rolleyes:
    No need for the :rolleyes:

She:
    1) keeps the rent low to ensure that there are no large gaps between occupancies
    2) puts a little of the rental income aside to allow for gaps.

It's not rocket surgery. :rolleyes:*

*there is a need for the rolleyes there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 v2

Affordable housing is a flawed ideology. This thread is a case in point. When are people going to grow up and take responsibility for themselves. "would the council help her get a home in Dublin". Unreal.

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote: »
    No need for the :rolleyes:

She:
    1) keeps the rent low to ensure that there are no large gaps between occupancies
    2) puts a little of the rental income aside to allow for gaps.

It's not rocket surgery. :rolleyes:*

*there is a need for the rolleyes there

Firstly its rocket science not rocket surgery :rolleyes::rolleyes:

secondly keeping rent low is no assurance of low vacancy.

and do you really think there will be much rental income aside to allow for gaps after NPPR is paid, tax is paid, maintenance to the property is paid.

* lots of need for a million rolleyes but i wont bother

Firstly its rocket science not rocket surgery :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Feel free to engage your sence of humor whenever you wish.
    secondly keeping rent low is no assurance of low vacancy.
    Of course it's not, but it'll attract the renters. I've never had a gap of over two weeks (granted that is in Dublin), because I've always kept what I was asking for at a reasonable rate.
    and do you really think there will be much rental income aside to allow for gaps after NPPR is paid, tax is paid, maintenance to the property is paid.
    Yes. I find I've money left over. That's my real life experience.
    Clearly you feel there won't be - care to break it down?

Assuming she has 3 bed rent is about €650-€750, thats about ~€8400. NPPR is €200. Tax, on a single mother won't be that much, and she can claim expenses against it.

So yes, there'll be money to put aside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

As a single parent myself I am a bit taken aback with this one. She has a house. If she needs to move closer to her family can she not just move in with them and put her house on the market??.. everyone's properties have devalued.. not just hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JodTT

Yes. I find I've money left over. That's my real life experience.
    Clearly you feel there won't be - care to break it down?

Assuming she has 3 bed rent is about €650-€750, thats about ~€8400. NPPR is €200. Tax, on a single mother won't be that much, and she can claim expenses against it.

So yes, there'll be money to put aside.

I've recently found myself in a similar situation in that I own a house in North County Dublin and due to a combination of wanting to move in with my boyfriend in North Wicklow, and also finding it more and more difficult to meet the mortgage payments alone due to wage reductions, I have had to rent my house out (negative equity means I'm unable to sell it for the time being.)

I was lucky enough to get tenants pretty much straight away, and the rent that I'm charging is quite reasonable for a 3 bed semi. However, I still have to pay the difference between the rent I'm receiving and the cost of the mortgage. On top of that, I have to pay the NPPR levy, and just learned recently from the mortgage company that because I no longer live in the house it is now deemed to be an investment property and they've upped my mortgage interest to an investment rate, which is an additional 1% interest.!!!

So, it certainly isn't a given that anyone renting out a property will have any kind of an 'income' from it to cover gaps in occupancy or whatever else might arise!!!

How do the mortgage company know you've rented the property; how can it be deemed an investment if you haven't married your boyfriend?

How do the mortgage company know you've rented the property; how can it be deemed an investment if you haven't married your boyfriend?

are you really a landlord ?

first you make a comment that tax shouldnt be much because the op is a single mother. which is completly wrong

then you dont even understand whats deemed an investment property

:eek::eek::eek:

yet you still feel you can advise the OP

Guys- calm down.
    Instead of jumping at one another- please detail the point you're making factually. Any more attacking of each other- will result in a holiday from posting here.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JodTT

I don't want to hijack this thread, but to answer your question, the mortgage company know I rent the property because I changed my correspondence address with them and they asked what the status of my property now is.

It is deemed to be an investment property because it's no longer my principal private residence, even though I don't actually own any other property.

are you really a landlord ?
    I am. Are you?
    first you make a comment that tax shouldnt be much because the op is a single mother. which is completly wrong
    I'm a little confused as to what exactly is your problem, did the numbers I previously post offend you? So what do you believe her tax liability will be on her rental income? ...seeing as I'm completely wrong.
    then you dont even understand whats deemed an investment property
    I understand, I'm just interested to know how her mortgage company found out that she's moved out, is renting out the house, and moved in with her boyfriend. It's a fairly innocent question.
    smccarrick wrote:
    Guys- calm down.
    Apologies smccarrick, didn't intend to come across aggressive.

JodTT wrote: »
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but to answer your question, the mortgage company know I rent the property because I changed my correspondence address with them and they asked what the status of my property now is.
    Ah so! That's unfortunate. If only you could stay living in a single room in the house sharing with the tenants, and spend the odd night with your boyfriend....

• Advertisement

I am. Are you?
    I'm a little confused as to what exactly is your problem, did the numbers I previously post offend you? So what do you believe her tax liability will be on her rental income? ...seeing as I'm completely wrong.

I dont have a take on it. You cant post random numbers. Thats what youve done.

I dont know her mortgage payments,

I dont know her interest payments,

I dont know her house location

I dont know what genuinely could be yielded in monthly rent.

I dont know if its Affordable housing and if shes prohibited from renting

etc etc etc

Therfore I cannot nor can you or anybody else come on here and assume that renting out the house and renting in Dublin is viable much less encourage it.

Ok guys, on that note, lets wrap it up.
    OP- your friend needs advice from Threshold or a similar organisation who might be willing to sit down with her and go through the details- we simply don't have enough information on which to advise here.

I'm not happy with the snipping that has gone on, on this thread- there are several guilty parties.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

Advertisement