Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert students take over the port of abuse!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Meh - the Leaving Cert is pretty stressful. We all have to blow off steam some way :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The press over exaggerates the articles relating to the sixth year holiday every year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Isn't that the point of a leaving cert holiday ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Same thing every year.......Same "PRIVILEGED 6th year students HAVING SEX/DRINKING" rabble rabble rabble.........

Nothing new, report was worse last year though (Recognised too many faces last year! >_<)

I will say however: THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR BUYING THE MAIL. It is a fúcking rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Fad wrote: »
    Same thing every year.......Same "PRIVILEGED 6th year students HAVING SEX/DRINKING" rabble rabble rabble.........

Nothing new, report was worse last year though (Recognised too many faces last year! >_<)

I will say however: THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR BUYING THE MAIL. It is a fúcking rag.
    I recognise too many people in this one (from my old school) :rolleyes:
    yes I know they exhagerate in the articles,
    no I don't buy the mail,this was linked to me,
    also alot of the lads in the photos are only going into 6th year :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Holiday looks class all right, where can I sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

http://www.tribune.ie/archive/article/2007/aug/26/a-summer-of-sex-drugs-and-breakfast-rolls/
    Almost the exact same article. Someones plagiarizing I think. Entire paragraphs are almost word for word.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't spoilt D4heads. Comments like this piss lots of people off:
    A Blackrock College student said: ‘Most of us have wealthy parents and we aren’t ashamed of that. It’s the poor people who are the begrudgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Lads that's mortifying. For all of those LC students out there, who don't have this wonderful sense of entitlement that the parents of southside private school kids seem to breed into them, that is a massive embarassment, and reflects badly on all of ye.

Have fun, get drunk, fine. But don't be so incredibly stupid as to go around making statements like "I'm rich, I can do what I like". These guys are great assets to humanity.:rolleyes:

They're probably too stupid to realise that most of their parents are living off credit cards and struggling to keep them in those schools since the recession hit anyway.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Does anyone realise that there is a hell of a lot more schools over there than southside private schools. There is a load of public schools over there aswell. The southside private schools make the article more appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

These writers have obv. never been to a local club anywhere in Ireland... Its pretty much exactly the same, except its much colder at night here -.-
    Wish I was going on holidays now :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

DL Saint wrote: »
    Saw this in the paper, pretty shocking stuff :eek:
    http://www.dailymail

Stopped reading when I got here...

yesno1234 wrote: »
    http://www.tribune.ie/archive/article/2007/aug/26/a-summer-of-sex-drugs-and-breakfast-rolls/
    Almost the exact same article. Someones plagiarizing I think. Entire paragraphs are almost word for word.

That article does have less of a focus on the whole D4 thing, which I suppose is good.
    Denerick wrote: »
    It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't spoilt D4heads. Comments like this piss lots of people off:

I genuinely doubt that that quote is in any context whatsoever, I'd be willing to bet that he was asked something very direct by the journalist.......

You might find it ridiculous, but students are warned about journalists when they get to a drinking age.......
    unknown13 wrote: »
    Does anyone realise that there is a hell of a lot more schools over there than southside private schools. There is a load of public schools over there aswell. The southside private schools make the article more appealing.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Wouldn't wipe my arse with the Daily Mail personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Sounds like some fekcin party.

A Blackrock College student said: ‘Most of us have wealthy parents and we aren’t ashamed of that. It’s the poor people who are the begrudgers.
    what a retard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

What a joke of an article, who gives a shit? LC students, as Fad said, do this sort of thing every year. It's their own business. Sounds like the usual crap you hear on the radio- "It's a disgrace, Joe!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I for one, don't care. But who can avoid a 'bash the D4 student' thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

LOL. Did anyone else picture the writer of the caption of the second picture as a posh Brit wearing a top hat and a monocle? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭salthillman

plenty of people go that aren't even from dublin... ****ty newspapers doing anything to fill column inches if yeh ask me..

andyman wrote: »
    Wouldn't wipe my arse with the Daily Mail personally.

Might catch something tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I couldn't be bothered to read the whole article but seriously does the author lock himself into his house at night on weekends? That's pretty much the exact same thing that happens every saturday night over here! I'm willing to bet the locals don't complain nearly as much with all the money they make from the students either.
    I get the feeling this is just some author who made the mistake of going for a holiday to the location right after the leaving cert and got a little bit irritated from the students.

I thought it was unfair that all the D4's got the stick for all this but what eejit honestly says "Most of us have wealthy parents and we aren’t ashamed of that. It’s the poor people who are the begrudgers". He's bringing it himself though tbf I got stuck next to a load of people just like that at oxegen last year - from blackrock too actually, wonder if it was the same people? - and they were horrible, completely atoning to the stereotype but not everyone's like that! If they want to see less of that abroad, they might as well start on that at home first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rororororororor

'Most of us have wealthy parents and we aren’t ashamed of that. They work hard to give us money so we can go on holidays. It’s the poor who are the begrudgers – they hate the rich.’

Well atleast us poor begrudgers aren't making a show of bits on a national newspaper..but im sure daddy will pay for the STI clinic!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

the Irish girls in Puerto Banus are clad in identikit party wear – skin-tight Lycra skirts that barely stretch over the bum-cheeks and sky-high heels. Leg, leg and more leg is the order of the day.

..................................................................nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm just back from Salou and I saw nothing like that even though I was out every night so I think they're going a bit over the top!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Woah, that was unbelievably sensationalist. :-/

Why don't they just interview the parents who fund this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Denerick wrote: »
    Assuming anyone actually said that.

It's incredible easy for a lazy journo to write 'A XXX College student said: <insert generic irritating comment here>' ... and who on earth can prove whether they're spoofing it or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

GAAAAHHH, EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. This annoys me so much "blah blah blah privileged..." Rockford Manor is there...ROCKFORD ffs, that's about as public as public schools get. It's a good school by all accounts, a former mod of this forum went there and got 600 points, but it's not fee paying at all. Clearly just because it's in Blackrock it's somehow "privileged"

This stuff goes on every weekend. People from "D4 schools" like to go out, we drink, we have fun and it's none of the Daily Mail's business.

I can't believe that rag actually sent a reporter over there to creep on a bunch of LC students. It's a worse reflection of the tabloid than it is on the people in it tbh.

"There are different rules out here anyway. We wouldn’t do it at home.’"- that's it TBH. They're just having fun, let them at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Assuming anyone actually said that.

It's incredible easy for a lazy journo to write 'A XXX College student said: <insert generic irritating comment here>' ... and who on earth can prove whether they're spoofing it or not?

Yeah, the whole article comes off exggerated. Especially the quotes which sound completely fabricated. They conincidently seem to fit in perfectly with the article

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The difference isn't THAT huge, your average Dublin street is such a mess come 2.30, there are always people KO'd on the side of the road or throwing up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I didnt get a fcuking holiday. I have basically been in my house since my LC, cept for a few friday nights. No sex rampages for me.

Sucks :(

Advertisement