Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boards photo forum 24 hour magazine - ** Last Chance Saloon **

• 06-07-2010 12:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

here's an idea to float and gauge interest.

inspired by what the folks did with the Galway 48 hours project and also mr google tells me the idea isn't overly original http://www.24hourmagazine.com/ - how and ever, still intrigues me

a challenge perhaps - to shoot, take, and make a photography magazine in 24 hours - well 48 hours was already taken ;) Start to finish in 24 hours. Final product published online less than 24 hours after the project is started.

I have to say it intrigues me (but I understand that I may be alone in this :p)

I'll say no more for now, just to see if it gets an interest / starts to gather legs...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

AnCatDubh wrote: »

inspired by what the folks did with the Galway 48 hours project and also mr google tells me the idea isn't overly original http://www.24hourmagazine.com/ - how and ever, still intrigues me

a challenge perhaps - to shoot, take, and make a photography magazine in 24 hours - well 48 hours was already taken ;) Start to finish in 24 hours. Final product published online less than 24 hours after the project is started.

I'll say no more for now, just to see if it gets an interest / starts to gather legs...

Sounds like a very cool idea, should be fun if it gets the go ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Sounds like a pretty cool idea. But why stop at 24hrs?

Why not come up with a weekly/fortnightly/monthly magazine that people can really get their teeth into?

Everything is a rush nowadays, especially on the internet, why not take some time and come up with something a little more thought out and less gimmicky?

(I hasten to add, that i am in no way putting down the idea with the term "gimmicky", just suggesting a more thought out alternative)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

jaaaaaysussssss it takes us 6 months to organise a wee book - if you reckon we could get a online mag in 24 or even 48 hours then heck - i wanna see that... :D:pac::p

A weekly or monthly boards photography magazine would be pretty cool.

Ye could come up with some recurring article ideas (interview of boards members, events coming up that boards members could attend, hints/tips for covering a particular type of photography, an in-depth guide to something, etc.)

Each week the magazine could have a photos of the week section/post of the week section/ locations for courses for beginners, a rundown of what people on the forum have been talking about in the past week, other popular forums with boards members, each week or every few weeks a boardsie could go somewhere awkward with his camera and document what happens (ie; standing around with a pedo beard at the local playground, or perhaps purposely trying to photograph something that is illegal to photograph, trying to get their camera somewhere the shouldn't have it, etc. and documenting what happens).

So for example, one week you could have;

*Photo gallery of the best/most thanked photos from the past week
    *Interview with An Cat Dubh
    *Boards member Eirebear explains in depth & in plain english, how to photograph cars
    *Chorcaì documents what happens as he tries to sneak his camera into the O2 arena
    *Upcoming events for the month of July
    *Shutter Speed, how it affects your photos and when to use shutter priority
    *This weeks bargain alert
    * & some other topics that could vary week to week

The following week could be;

*Interview with Calina
    *Boards member Smelltheglove explains in depth & in plain english, how to photograph a wedding
    *AnimalRights documents what happens as he tries to take photos of the IFSC
    *Upcoming events for the month of July (revised)
    *Aperture, how it affects your photos and when to use aperture priority

... Just an idea. :o

(I just randomly threw usernames in there).

boards.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Could put in software reviews too and editing tutorials.

I'm amazed by how quick web editors are evolving into program comparable to early versions of Photoshop, reviews/hints and tips on those would be handy for those of us that don't need PS CS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

The 24 hour thing sounds interesting. I have a friend in Canada who did something along those lines with a group of friends (or may local camera club), want me to check out exactly what they did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

By my watch the clock has been running for 10 hours and 34 mins. How are we doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I think a boards photography magazine is a great idea. I'll happily chip in with some web/programming help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Brilliant idea but is 24 hours too short?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Ok, so I checked with my friend in Canada, what they did was a 24 hour photo challenge, it did not result in magazine. Here's what they did:

We divided into teams of 3 to 5. Teams were usually members of clubs from different communities around the province.
    We could shoot anything, anywhere.
    Each person had to shoot at least 3 photos each
    An email was sent at midnight with 16 topics chosen by 3 professionals.
    Shooting ended next midnight
    Processing was allowed - we're making images, and it's a vital part of digital photography.
    We had a couple of weeks to process images
    Judging was performed by said pros based on "quality" of the image, whatever that means.
    We finished with an awards banquet with various prizes: top team, top individual, best photo, top 3 photos, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Thanks for the interest shown thus far guys. So, some great ideas - i've popped a few responses below to tease things out a little further.
    Eirebear wrote: »
    Sounds like a pretty cool idea. But why stop at 24hrs?

Just a defined amount of time - the idea being to orient everyone who would like to participate towards a particular day - perhaps a particular Saturday / Sunday.
    Why not come up with a weekly/fortnightly/monthly magazine that people can really get their teeth into?

It would be a heck of a big commitment. The reason I thought this might work is that it would be in-determined, thus no pressure of a deadline, until a date is agreed. Then within 24 hours it is a go. Done and dusted.
    Everything is a rush nowadays, especially on the internet, why not take some time and come up with something a little more thought out and less gimmicky?

(I hasten to add, that i am in no way putting down the idea with the term "gimmicky", just suggesting a more thought out alternative)

:D

No worries, again, it is more of a quick thing. The only commitment anyone will make will be something within that 24 hour period. Then back to normal living.
    artyeva wrote: »
    jaaaaaysussssss it takes us 6 months to organise a wee book - if you reckon we could get a online mag in 24 or even 48 hours then heck - i wanna see that... :D:pac::p

Yes. It is a mighty challenge and will need some skills other than photography (dtp, layout, design - this also turned around within the 24 hours).
    A weekly or monthly boards photography magazine would be pretty cool.

Agreed but the only problem is that it is a mighty task to commit to and to ensure it gets done. That's one thing I like about the idea of 24hours to produce it - the immediacy of it and no one knows what will be produced.

It could develop into a weekly or monthly thing, but maybe to start - if we just did a once off. If it works great - if it doesn't then individually people won't have lost too much time (they will have something out of it) and there will be experience gained.
    Ye could come up with some recurring article ideas (interview of boards members, events coming up that boards members could attend, hints/tips for covering a particular type of photography, an in-depth guide to something, etc.)

Each week the magazine could have a photos of the week section/post of the week section/ locations for courses for beginners, a rundown of what people on the forum have been talking about in the past week, other popular forums with boards members, each week or every few weeks a boardsie could go somewhere awkward with his camera and document what happens (ie; standing around with a pedo beard at the local playground, or perhaps purposely trying to photograph something that is illegal to photograph, trying to get their camera somewhere the shouldn't have it, etc. and documenting what happens).

These would be great in the re-occurring context. Difficult i'd imagine to do in a 24 hour thing as the idea of 24 hours is that nothing is predetermined before the 24 hours starts. All you need to know is that you have people and a certain amount of skills.
    So for example, one week you could have;

*Interview with An Cat Dubh
    *Boards member Eirebear explains in depth & in plain english, how to photograph cars
    *Chorcaì documents what happens as he tries to sneak his camera into the O2 arena
    *Upcoming events for the month of July
    *Shutter Speed, how it affects your photos and when to use shutter priority

Yikes, an interview with AnCatDubh could be short :p

Great ideas as are the subsequent parts of the post but a considerate amount of effort perhaps more suited to a longer term magazine project if the idea was to evolve. Some aspects could be incorporated into a 24 hour thing.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Could put in software reviews too and editing tutorials.

I'm amazed by how quick web editors are evolving into program comparable to early versions of Photoshop, reviews/hints and tips on those would be handy for those of us that don't need PS CS

Indeed the web publishing has become really easy - scribd or issuu or a variety of others. Software reviews and editing tutorials would be complex to write up - not that they couldn't be done, and if someone wanted to contribute something like that then no reason why not - but again, within the 24 hour deadline.
    dave66 wrote: »
    The 24 hour thing sounds interesting. I have a friend in Canada who did something along those lines with a group of friends (or may local camera club), want me to check out exactly what they did?

Sure. Any references or experiences would be welcome.
    Crispin wrote: »
    By my watch the clock has been running for 10 hours and 34 mins. How are we doing?

:D Actually, why didn't I think of that - just announce it as a work in progress and whoever submits, submits, and output the product and see what happens.

Hmnnn....... must think further :cool:
    Promac wrote: »
    I think a boards photography magazine is a great idea. I'll happily chip in with some web/programming help.

Cool there will be a range of periphery skills required. When I say periphery, I mean "non photography", although i'm thinking it will predominantly be large nice photographs which will be included.
    mrboswell wrote: »
    Brilliant idea but is 24 hours too short?

Yes, it absolutely is, and heaven knows if it will even be possible. Imagine say we get 10 people interested in partaking by going out and shooting over the 24 hour period, and 1-2 people to edit and layout and design (who don't see the light of day over the 24 hour period).

But it would be a challenge to see what can be produced. It is a day in the life kinda thing. People, places, events, etc.... all shot in a specific 24 hours, and published within the same 24 hours - obviously a deadline for submissions would be required.

So to summarise -

The date would be decided and posted.

Then in the space of 24hours;

We'd probably need about 10 people (at least) photographing on the day. They could shoot a series or a theme, or a fashion shoot, or a landscape for the early risers.
    The designer(s)/editor(s) would begin work on the format layout at the beginning of the 24 hours.
    The photographers as soon as they stop shooting process and submit their images (or other content - if people want to write about photography as has been suggested, then that would be fine).
    A deadline of perhaps 4 hours before end of 24hours is set for submissions to be made.
    The designer(s)/editor(s) then can put final touches - the expectation being that some photographers would submit work earlier and only "stragglers" would submit up to 4 hours previously.
    The whole thing happens on-line. No requirement for anyone to meet.
    Before the 24hours are up - we publish whatever is ready to an online publishing service like issuu.

Then people have a beer, sleep, wake up and wonder if it was all a dream.

Thereafter if it becomes a regular thing so be it but there's no failure if it doesn't. It is a success if we get through the 24 hours and something gets published.

It would be a heck of a big commitment. The reason I thought this might work is that it would be in-determined, thus no pressure of a deadline, until a date is agreed. Then within 24 hours it is a go. Done and dusted.

Yeah i get what your saying, and it makes sense. But there is a flipside to it.

Getting 10(or however many we need) people on board on the same 24 hours isnt always the easiest thing to do. Whereas finding those 10 people who can give their time over the space of a fornight, or a month might make it easier to gain interest, leaving them able to organise a day within that time period to do their thing?

Either way, i'm interested, i need a project over the next month or so!

I'm definitely interested and as long as I'm not busy on the date decided Im in for shooting.

Would it be best say for 10 or so photogs to each say yes we're in and take their pics and design a 2 page spread to the measurements required, then there would not be as much work for people focussing on layout.

If its a Sunday I'm game anyway.

Would it be best say for 10 or so photogs to each say yes we're in and take their pics and design a 2 page spread to the measurements required, then there would not be as much work for people focussing on layout.

I guess it would be fairly easy for someone to knock up a basic template with the desired style/dimensions for people to work with?

I guess it would be fairly easy for someone to knock up a basic template with the desired style/dimensions for people to work with?

It would have to be done within the 24hours though. I dont think even a template would be required as each spread would be different so it would most likely be easiest for each to design their own according to specifications then at the end of the day the person who draws the final product can insert page numbers and footer if required.

Well whatever way you end up doing it, I think it's a great idea.

I wouldn't get involved myself, though, because I haven't a clue about the technical side of the magazine, and my photography is.. well... shite.

But if it takes off, I'd be very curious to see how it turns out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Speaking as someone with a publication production background, give yourselves a bigger buffer at the end than four hours. Especially since you're just planning to wing it. I'd definitely normally be up for working on it with you but I'm six hours time difference behind Ireland at the moment so can't co-ordinate myself. I can still give advice though if ye need it.

A few more thoughts inter-sperced below - i'm getting a sense that people may be up for it;
    dave66 wrote: »
    Ok, so I checked with my friend in Canada, what they did was a 24 hour photo challenge, it did not result in magazine. Here's what they did:

We divided into teams of 3 to 5. Teams were usually members of clubs from different communities around the province.
    We could shoot anything, anywhere.
    Each person had to shoot at least 3 photos each
    An email was sent at midnight with 16 topics chosen by 3 professionals.
    Shooting ended next midnight
    Processing was allowed - we're making images, and it's a vital part of digital photography.
    We had a couple of weeks to process images
    Judging was performed by said pros based on "quality" of the image, whatever that means.
    We finished with an awards banquet with various prizes: top team, top individual, best photo, top 3 photos, etc.

Ah, so they were more into a competition. This most definitely wouldn't be a competition and we'd be trying to keep to the forum's general ethos of being inclusive - no expectation of Vogue fashion images, simply what everyone can do (with an expectation that they stretch themselves perhaps for the day).

I do like the idea of introducing a possibility of having teams where it is suitable for individuals - the idea of a photo buddy to work with.
    Yeah i get what your saying, and it makes sense. But there is a flipside to it.

Getting 10(or however many we need) people on board on the same 24 hours isnt always the easiest thing to do. Whereas finding those 10 people who can give their time over the space of a fornight, or a month might make it easier to gain interest, leaving them able to organise a day within that time period to do their thing?

Either way, i'm interested, i need a project over the next month or so!

Accepted entirely. I asked some colleagues recently who had responsibility to produce a 30 page glossy mag, how long would they would expect it to take - 3 months was the answer they gave. I introduced them to the 48 hour thing and they were gobsmacked.

Great to have you onboard if we go ahead. I also think it may be great to see an internation dimension to this - we have a number of people that are from non irish locations which would be dead cool if we could get these involved.
    I'm definitely interested and as long as I'm not busy on the date decided Im in for shooting.

If its a Sunday I'm game anyway.

Great to get you on board too. I think the layout would be best left to someone who's had some experience and is "up for it". The idea is that they would work in the early part of the day on possible layouts - a single page spread, a 3 image 2 page spread and so forth, and then as soon as people start submitting work they would slot it into place.

Getting these people might be poached from some of the other fora on boards.

I'd think with the expectation being "the result will be the result of 24 hours work" then the measure of success will be to have gotten through it so if the design is repetitively basic or as simple as time allows then that's cool too.
    It would have to be done within the 24hours though. I dont think even a template would be required as each spread would be different so it would most likely be easiest for each to design their own according to specifications then at the end of the day the person who draws the final product can insert page numbers and footer if required.

We would probably put a limit. Each tog submitting no more than 5 images taken on the day so the designer could work on layouts for 1,2,3,4, and 5 images and depending on what comes in, they are ready. Editorial would be responsible as to whether the images go in a 3+2 layout or a 5 image layout or single image to a page layouts.
    Well whatever way you end up doing it, I think it's a great idea.

I wouldn't get involved myself, though, because I haven't a clue about the technical side of the magazine, and my photography is.. well... shite.

But if it takes off, I'd be very curious to see how it turns out.

Thanks for the support. Don't discount yourself for partaking. The boards book works off an ethos that if you are a member of the forum then you are welcome to partake. There would be nothing elitist about this publication at all. If you can get out with your camera, put a bit of thought into what you are going to shoot and how you will shoot it, then you are as qualified as anyone else. The idea is that it would represent a day of shooting by boards photography forum members that agree to take part.
    OctavarIan wrote: »
    Speaking as someone with a publication production background, give yourselves a bigger buffer at the end than four hours. Especially since you're just planning to wing it. I'd definitely normally be up for working on it with you but I'm six hours time difference behind Ireland at the moment so can't co-ordinate myself. I can still give advice though if ye need it.

Thanks again, all support welcome. You might consider being a tog on the day then - we'll work with any time zone. With it being over a 24 hour, your day/our night or our day/your night will work. Keep it in mind.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

ACD I think is very exciting idea and something I think I'd love to be involved in...but isn't time frame very exclusive to digital users? Or do the photos not have to be taken and processed in 24hrs?

Great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I'll throw myself in for design if ya are very desprate !

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    ACD I think is very exciting idea and something I think I'd love to be involved in...but isn't time frame very exclusive to digital users? Or do the photos not have to be taken and processed in 24hrs?

Great idea.

Hmmnnnnn.... true.... A large part of the challenge is in the immediacy of the production. But the timeline with film is obviously greater - well and good if someone can shoot in the morning develop in the afternoon and upload in early evening but it might be a stretch depending on peoples locations etc...

Would it work if we were to allow* film shooters to start an additional 24hours before the digital shooters - but just for film - the exception being made to allow for negative development/scanning. While that makes it a 48/24 hour thing it still would give everyone the opportunity to partake in it.

* when i say allow, no one is going to be standing over a submission counting the minutes before or after the deadline - it will be more a get into the spirit of it type of thing.
    Chorcai wrote: »
    I'll throw myself in for design if ya are very desprate !

Yeah, design would be great if you know your way around / have access to some DTP software and can knock up a magazine layout, but include yourself as a tog too - it should be a great opportunity to see your images in a publication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I think the idea is great and is definately worth a shot. :)

Might i suggest something like a East coast/West Coast sunrise to sunset theme (and the journey in between). Given you have 24hours it wouldn't be too much of someone to shoot on both costs. OR if you were doing the team theme (see what i did there) you could do something like the 4 corners ie. something from North/south/east/west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

As long as my day job doesn't get in the way on the chosen date, I'm interested in being involved. Sounds like a great idea. Nothing like a little time pressure to produce results! :D

As long as my day job unemployment doesn't get in the way on the chosen date, I'm interested in being involved. Sounds like a great idea. Nothing like a little time pressure to produce results! :D

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but such idea already was here. Not to mention that I cannot see any involvement or activity towards the year book.

But I haven't read all the thread, so feel free to ignore this typography spam.

Peace wrote: »
    I think the idea is great and is definately worth a shot. :)

Might i suggest something like a East coast/West Coast sunrise to sunset theme (and the journey in between). Given you have 24hours it wouldn't be too much of someone to shoot on both costs. OR if you were doing the team theme (see what i did there) you could do something like the 4 corners ie. something from North/south/east/west.

If the number of 'togs allow for it, then teams is a possibility, but individually people could take it as their personal theme / contribution. Depending on timing it might leave it very/too close to a submission deadline (unless by particular arrangement with the designer/editor)
    dakar wrote: »
    As long as my day job doesn't get in the way on the chosen date, I'm interested in being involved. Sounds like a great idea. Nothing like a little time pressure to produce results! :D

Put ya down as a maybe defo then.
    As long as my day job unemployment doesn't get in the way on the chosen date, I'm interested in being involved. Sounds like a great idea. Nothing like a little time pressure to produce results! :D

:p

Oi - no copying, that's plagiarism :p Will be great to have you on-board too (pardon the pun)
    ThOnda wrote: »
    I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but such idea already was here. Not to mention that I cannot see any involvement or activity towards the year book.

But I haven't read all the thread, so feel free to ignore this typography spam.

hmnnnn, well, em, like, or, actually, em............ ;)

I'm putting you down as a defo too ! I want to see surf images from enniscrone beach early morning if you please.

But seriously, a previous idea which fizzled out before getting near being actioned was a far grander concept. This will be over and done in 24 hours once it actually gets going. And that should be long before the year book gets underway.

The year book is obviously a separate thing and probably won't really get underway until post holidays although there is contact with Shakespeare photo books at present with word expected on that next week - i'd expect the book to be a more in depth choice for people - with some time to do so. The suggested 24 hour project is all about the immediacy of the moment - shot, edited, published, and online in 24 hours (or less) and more of a casual format. The book is more a personal summary of the years images for people but a more formal and considered submission.

(i'll still put you down as a defo :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

This reminds me a book I won in junior photography competition. Photographers were asked to submit one picture taken on one selected day.

I hope we are talking about weekend day or bank holiday. That would be the only way I could participate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Nice Idea and would be up for contributing. Would the 24hr peroid be organized before hand? e.g the 24hrs is on the 24th of july. Or would you just have to log onto boards and see that the 24hrs is happening on the day?

101001 wrote: »
    Nice Idea and would be up for contributing. Would the 24hr peroid be organized before hand? e.g the 24hrs is on the 24th of july. Or would you just have to log onto boards and see that the 24hrs is happening on the day?

good question.

I like the idea of me firing one of pullandbang's shot guns over the hill of Tara at an unspecified time to hearld in the dawning of a new 24 hours..... nah.., but maybe only strange looking dude's on coke would hear it (that might have supposed to have been druids in cloaks rather than dude's on coke :D)

Actually, it is a good question - while I like the element of surprise, I think in fairness to people we should give a weeks notice to clear their diaries if necessary. Also, if the structure allows for film nerds photographers they're a bit slower (donyn't cha no ;)) so we need to give them an extra 24 hours as suggested to get development/scanning sorted - though their shooting still happens within a 24 hour period. So all in all, we'd probably announce it and orient people for about a week beforehand.

We'd also set out some global parameters/guidance for being involved.

Even pre-announcing it, we could maintain an element of surprise with a themed approach - ie. announce a week beforehand the date but dish out assignments/themes only at the start of the 24 hours.

Thanks to everyone thus far, I'm getting a good picture in my head as to how it could work and think it would be possible to facilitate it here with the interest being shown. I need to get a summary down in type to bring it through to viability.

• Advertisement

personally I would prefer if a date was given for the 24hrs. I would hate to see people who wished to be involved missing out because they didnt logon that day. But to keep with in the 24hrs spirit of things you would need some way of bring the spontaneity back i.e the theme. Some unknown that people wouldnt be able to plan for. Or if you were to go with a theme. Tell people here was 3 themes then on the day tell everyone it was anything but those themes.

If you do go themes I'd like them to be particularly abstract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

If it's before September and I'm around I'm in too :D

This looks like it could be a goer. Ok, a shout out for what's coming up that will be occupying the available time you guys have;

Sat 24th July - Scot Kelby's Photowalk
    Sat/Sun/Monday August 2nd - Bank holiday weekend
    Sat/Sun 28/29th August - Peoples Photography

Anyone know have photowalkie got an August session planned? (nothing on the site as yet)

Any other dates to look out for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

This looks like it could be a goer. Ok, a shout out for what's coming up that will be occupying the available time you guys have;

Sat 24th July - Scot Kelby's Photowalk
    Sat/Sun/Monday August 2nd - Bank holiday weekend
    Sat/Sun 28/29th August - Peoples Photography

Anyone know have photowalkie got an August session planned? (nothing on the site as yet)

It would be nice to get an issuse out the 24 of July. Then have a talk about the good+bad points and what needs to be changed. Then aim for the 28/29th Aug for PP, maybe even have a wee banner/sign on display ?

hmmm... I had a thought... Maybe incorporating the Photowalks could work. I know Im never too far from an internet connection. People could submit their images via email. PP might be a bit of a pain in the ar*e but I have gone out for the day taking photos and done some PP in the pub afterwards.

Which lead to another thought... What if people were out an about and just emailed their photos to others for post processing? I kinda like the idea of colaboration. One person shoots the other PP's you'd more than likely end up with an image that neither wouldve thought of

Right so, the 24th July is our candidate date (subject to togs being available).

Anyone on the Kelby photowalk can use their shooting experience of the day if they like for submission.

Anyone not on a photowalk can do their own, or organise something ad-hoc or a collaboration, or a studio, or the view from your back window, or whatever.

The idea is to get out and shoot - but stretch yourself.

So, let's get your interest/availability sorted to see if we'll have enough to get a decent submission = potential publication.

Reply below with your availability for the 24th and I'll compile a list.

• Advertisement

sounds good, i'm definitely able to set aside some time that morning anyway.

any limit on the amount of images one person can submit or is that up to ourselves?

sounds good, i'm definitely able to set aside some time that morning anyway.

any limit on the amount of images one person can submit or is that up to ourselves?

Cool!

We'll confirm before the time. Initially I thought >1 and <5 but probably no point in putting an upper limit - well, we won't want someone to simply download their sd card without a selection - we could trust people to be circumspect.

We'll obviously allow an editorial decision as to what to actually use from the submitted material - this on the basis that you are assured of at least one image that you submitted being included in the publication and up to your max number submitted being included as per the editorial decision and design.

Thanks.

I'm good for that day although would be an evening submission due to work during the day.

Are we going for a theme? Do we submit images alone or with text?

Cool, count me in if thats ok.

I'll be working daytime, but im sure i can rustle up something in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

The festival of world cultures is on that day as well so there could be some good oportunities for pix that day of stuff you wouldn't normally see (if it doesn't lash rain that is :eek:)

I'm a potential tog for the day, kinda depends on if I buy anymore lens' before then as at the moment I only have my 10-22 for interior work!

• Advertisement

The 24th eh? I like it! Count me in, if you wish. I work as a freelance graphic designer and internerd any help needed with the delivery of the magazine is available. Although, Im sure this place is chock full my ilk.

Oh and you do know its the 24th of the 7th? 24/7? Im just saying... thats a marketable date if ever I saw one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

is the magazine going to feature photos only or will photographers be expected/encouraged to submit some inforamtive words on how to take the kind of photo that they've submitted? Either way I have an idea and I'd like to get involved

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ceacg

I would like to get involved in this project, please tell me what I need to do. I am an amateur photographer.

Thank you

Emily

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ceacg

How do I get involved in teh photowalk. I am free that day, so I will take part anyway.

Thanks.

Emily

Ceacg wrote: »
    How do I get involved in teh photowalk. I am free that day, so I will take part anyway.

Thanks.

Emily

That's cool.

The photowalk mentioned is the Scott Kelby walk which there are some details of here and i see one of the dublin walks has spaces at the moment - see here.

Just for clarity, the magazine idea being discussed/organised here isn't particularly connected with this walk BUT the thinking is, if you are on the walk and want to enjoy being part of a magazine, you can submit an image or a selection of images to the 24 hour magazine production - the 24 hours which happens to fall on the same day as the walk.

Also, you don't need to be on a photowalk to take part. It is up to every individual how they shoot on the day. People can do a photo shoot individually or organise something with others - whatever they are comfortable with. The magazine production won't particularly care how the images are taken so long as they are taken within the 24 hour period.

There'll be further details on the specifics over the next week or so - up to the 24th so keep an eye back to the forum here regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 faduda

For DTP, it shouldnt be too difficult to design using Scribus, half a dozen templates could be prepared in advance. I've used Scribus before if anyone needs a hand. Is the plan to publish this, or just to create a downloadable PDF?

Are we going for a theme? Do we submit images alone or with text?

A theme - not decided yet, and in the spirit of the 24 hour thing it will only be announced at the beginning of the 24 hours :cool:

Don't worry, it will be open enough that it won't hinder anyone from organising their shoot during the following day.

Just images or images/text? It can be either (see note below to m_s_nixon).
    Cool, count me in if thats ok.

I'll be working daytime, but im sure i can rustle up something in the evening.

Perfect, keep an eye back to the thread here as details will evolve as to submission deadlines as the poor designer will have to try pull it over the line within the 24 hours.
    golfman wrote: »
    The festival of world cultures is on that day as well so there could be some good oportunities for pix that day of stuff you wouldn't normally see (if it doesn't lash rain that is :eek:)

I'm a potential tog for the day, kinda depends on if I buy anymore lens' before then as at the moment I only have my 10-22 for interior work!

Hey! an interior shot would be cool too or creative fish eye shot(s) perhaps or indeed if you get another lens - eitherways it is great to have you onboard.
    101001 wrote: »
    The 24th eh? I like it! Count me in, if you wish. I work as a freelance graphic designer and internerd any help needed with the delivery of the magazine is available. Although, Im sure this place is chock full my ilk.

Oh and you do know its the 24th of the 7th? 24/7? Im just saying... thats a marketable date if ever I saw one

I'm glad that someone else is thinking -i've been scratching the head wondering what we could call it. 24/7 is good. Maybe.., perhaps... in terms of any assistance you can give in the graphic design side of it, that would be great.
    m_s_nixon wrote: »
    is the magazine going to feature photos only or will photographers be expected/encouraged to submit some inforamtive words on how to take the kind of photo that they've submitted? Either way I have an idea and I'd like to get involved

This will be up to the photographer. There were some ideas by people on possible articles that they could create. That wouldn't be turned away, in fact would make an interesting addition, but in essence if people can submit great photographs that is the expectation and I guess at a minimum their Name, a Photo title, their website and any other photo related detail. If they wish to write up a piece to be included with the photography being submitted then that's absolutely no problem. The only thing is that editorial decisions may eventually have to be made in terms of what can be incorporated and what can't and that will be up to the editor (whomever that may be). I think images would get priority over the text if it was such a decision being made.

fadudanet wrote: »
    For DTP, it shouldnt be too difficult to design using Scribus, half a dozen templates could be prepared in advance. I've used Scribus before if anyone needs a hand. Is the plan to publish this, or just to create a downloadable PDF?

Thanks! All help will be welcome.

The plan (at this point) is to prepare a professional looking magazine and publish through an online service like issuu.com or scribd.com - the pdf gets uploaded to them and they look after the hosting of it (and do a nifty job on displaying it) - this is to be within the 24 hours.

There's no plan at this point to publish as a paper publication - certainly not within the confines of the 24hour concept plus people may have different feelings about taking part if there was a paper publication to it - also I appreciate some people may like the idea of a paper publication being available, but it may be more straight forward to leave it as a job well done if/when a pdf layout gets output and sent into issuu or scribd within the deadline.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

So ACD is there going to be a print run of it?

If so I could put a couple of copies up for sale in my gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 faduda

As to a name, 24/7 is a clever name if the photos are taken on 24 July, but what happens with issue #2? 24/8 doesn't quite work. If the plan is to do it monthly, what about 24/24, or 24 On 24?

• Advertisement
Advertisement