Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boards photo forum 24 hour magazine - ** Last Chance Saloon **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Thinking out loud here, the top layout would be for portrait photos, the other layout for landscape.

The photographers details/notes/EXIF etc will be on the left hand page the righthand page will be used as a run off for extra text in the description.

In short each photo now will use 2 pages side by side.

I'll re work these now to get this final. Post sizes for people to aim for.

If I may, what would be handy if people added this to their email.
    Your name:
    Your boards.ie username
    :
    Project title:
    A title for your image:
    A description of the image/photograph:
    EXIF Info:
    Any other designers here who are going to chip in ? I don't mind doing it myself.

Any thoughts on the front cover ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

thinking out loud here too - is a description and exif data really necessary? by that i mean - i would have no interest in including exif data... and i'd be hard pressed at the best of times describing things... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Markham

101001 wrote: »
    yup thats much better... clearly about the image. theres also still space to put the logo on each page but i actually thing that that is not important. thats a real nice template. including the boards username is a particulary good idea

You could watermark the logo behind the text without too much fuss.

Are you putting it together in inDesign?

artyeva wrote: »
    is a description and exif data really necessary? by that i mean - i would have no interest in including exif data...

Yes but we have camera nerds here as well :p

Markham wrote: »
    You could watermark the logo behind the text without too much fuss.

Are you putting it together in inDesign?

Yep using ID. I might see about putting it on the right handside page.

EXIF data is a good idea to me. Right click > properties and it's there, so no one should have any issue supplying it I don't think (all you'd need is the ISO/Shutter/Aperture?).

Then it's open for people to try similar shots with a good idea of how the shot was done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

@Chorcai & ACD: all the work you have put into this is class. And I'm loving the designs!

Is it really ok to lurk in the shadows and just take part tomorrow by submitting an image???!!!!!

I would like to do more but I fear my handicap of being totally w*nk at design might be a hindrance! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Crispin wrote: »
    And I'm loving the designs!

I agree - looking fabulous, Well done Chorcai!
    Is it really ok to lurk in the shadows and just take part tomorrow by submitting an image???!!!!!

Absolutely. Its a great opportunity to simply be involved and don't worry, by participating - going out and taking an image - you are actually investing your time in the project. Not lurking at all.

Everyone welcome.

:D

Test of how both pages might look. The line in the middle is where the fold of the page is. This wont be there in the final output but its just to show where the fold is.

D5A658BCF0924AD790647298B8E42843-800.jpg

6B6BB24308FF45929B84E19EF69D238D-800.jpg

Of those two, with landscape orientation shots, I think the top one looks more appealing. Almost a border around it :) Looks nice.

I know you're not comparing them, but i just thought i'd throw it out there. Loving the stuff you're coming up with Chorcai.

• Advertisement

EXIF data is a good idea to me. Right click > properties and it's there, so no one should have any issue supplying it I don't think (all you'd need is the ISO/Shutter/Aperture?).

Then it's open for people to try similar shots with a good idea of how the shot was done.

i see what yer saying but personally it's not that i have an issue with supplying it, it's that i'd have no interest in supplying it. not being awkward, but exif data holds as much interest to me as the contents of someone else's fridge.

is it ok if i don't include it?

Tis up to you. :)

i see what yer saying but personally it's not that i have an issue with supplying it, it's that i'd have no interest in supplying it. not being awkward, but exif data holds as much interest to me as the contents of someone else's fridge.

Your description will be of your own, so if you want to include it - that will be fine. If you don't want to then that is fine too. You are in the driving seat for your work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Been thinking about this, if it runs again, afternoon-afternoon might make life easier for the designers and editors. It still allows time for sunrise/sunset shots and all in between, but is a bit more humane :)

Another quick thought, can we have scope for square images? Assuming I get the chance to submit something tomorrow, there's a pretty good chance it'll be square.

Thank you!

dakar wrote: »
    Another quick thought, can we have scope for square images? Assuming I get the chance to submit something tomorrow, there's a pretty good chance it'll be square.

Thank you!

Yep square is cool

Can ye click here for a test page that I uploaded, the "www.boards.ie" will be changed for your website/blog.

http://issuu.com/chorcai/docs/testfor247project

Please leave feedback here.

dakar wrote: »

Thank you!

Yup. as the song says - Its hip to be square. (do-dah-do-di-do-di-doo)

((retro eighties moment there))

AnCatDubh wrote: »

gawd help us when he is awake for 24hrs doing this !

Where's my thumbs down button............. ;)

• Advertisement

Chorcai wrote: »
    gawd help us when he is awake for 24hrs doing this !

Oh, they get much worse..... anyone remember been told by their parents about Rick Astley, or Jason and Kylie ??? :D

Hah!

Can ye click here for a test page that I uploaded, the "www.boards.ie" will be changed for your website/blog.

Please leave feedback here.

I love the way issuu dishes out a design - even better when the design is really cool.

You can theme it too so it can look a bit like this

I love the flip, page turn, etc..

The text looks large (maybe i'm stating the obvious)

The portrait image is quite stunning in the layout.

The landscape image - i'm just wondering if off center would be better with the image?

Eitherways, this is really starting to look very smart indeed.

Basic document requirements
    • Max size: 500 page / 100 mb.
    • Supported formats: PDF, Word (DOC), Powerpoint (PPT), Open Office (ODS, ODP), WordPerfect (WPD), Rich Text Format (RTF), Star Office (SXI, SXW).
    • Supported PDF versions: 1.0-1.5, both extremes included. We will convert versions above v 1.5 and usually they look OK, but we can't guarantee it.
    • Make sure your document will open correctly in a desktop reader (e.g. Acrobat Reader or Preview).
    • Make sure your file is not password protected.
    • Make sure user access is not restricted; allow printing and copying.
    • Image resolution can be up to 150 dpi. Higher resolutions will be scaled down.

Basic document requirements
    • Image resolution can be up to 150 dpi. Higher resolutions will be scaled down.

But, thinking about the earlier suggestion that perhaps a print option (at some stage may be available), should we go 300/320/360dpi and allow issuu scale down? What do you think?

Re-re-worked it. Added black pages/re-worked text/shading.

Leaving in all the pages to compair and add thoughts, main reasons for the sizes are, if it does go to print it means that there will be less work afterwards. As it is the document would be print ready (nearly) Hence tiring to fit things into A4.

But, thinking about the earlier suggestion that perhaps a print option (at some stage may be available), should we go 300/320/360dpi and allow issuu scale down? What do you think?

TBH I just posted that so people would know that the images are scaled down for issuu. If they send in a 300dpi it should be fine for print.

The final document produced would be also print ready.

• Advertisement

Right... so without trying to sound like a complete tit here... What exactly should I do to my photo before emailing it?

And it is going to 24hourmagazine at gmail dot com, yes?

EDIT: also, ACD, I hate your theme. It has my head absolutely boggled. Will head out with my cameras tomorrow, but I'm fecked if I can think of anything fitting that theme.

C'mon inspiration!! :D

EDIT again;

Just reading through that post, what's happening with Text Articles? They don't seem to have been mentioned much?

Right... so without trying to sound like a complete tit here... What exactly should I do to my photo before emailing it?

And it is going to 24hourmagazine at gmail dot com, yes?

EDIT: also, ACD, I hate your theme. It has my head absolutely boggled. Will head out with my cameras tomorrow, but I'm fecked if I can think of anything fitting that theme.

C'mon inspiration!! :D

Take your pic/do PP then save as jpg email to 24...gmail thats it.

Still a bit of tweeking to do on the layout but its nearly there, added B+W/Grey backgrounds.

EDIT again;

Just reading through that post, what's happening with Text Articles? They don't seem to have been mentioned much?

Editor is that way
    > (AnCatDubh) :p:p:p

Haven't heard of anyone submitting anything textual at the moment other than the initial "can an article be submitted". If they do then it can be handled on the fly (i'm guessing here - Chris?)

Everyone's submission will be up to themselves in terms of what they submit - image / text or both. From the project point of view, it started with an expectation of photographs so if people don't submit text then that will be ok, so long as they submit images :)

True but it'd be nice to have something to read in there too. I'd volunteer (i'd be crap at it though) but only if i wasn't gonna be the only one.

I assume chris will be writing something?

• Advertisement

True but it'd be nice to have something to read in there too. I'd volunteer (i'd be crap at it though) but only if i wasn't gonna be the only one.

I've an intro to write, so not sure how that will turn out, but it will qualify as "some text" :D

But anyone can submit a text only article too, a help, a how-to, a "i love shooting swans" article..... or whatever....

Was considering getting out and about tomorrow, bringing a small notepad and writing a small diary/journal of what is going on around me and what Im thinking (all photography related, of course) at different times, as i struggle to come up with an image.

You'll know it was a real failure if i dont submit a photo :P

Would that be ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

I've an intro to write, so not sure how that will turn out, but it will qualify as "some text" :D

But anyone can submit a text only article too, a help, a how-to, a "i love shooting swans" article..... or whatever....

"How to shoot swans and not get arrested" Notes from a photog now living in England...... :D

Looks like i will be in Manchester tomorrow, will see what I can come up with there.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I wish I could help out, but it seems Chrocai is well able :)

I have designed a website [shameless plug] for our fund raiser:

www.helpkayleywalk.com

So I know how tough it can be to get info together and keep it updated. Over 24hrs it's going to be killer, hope you have a constant heat coffee machine!?

I will definitely add something, still getting to grips with my new camera so it won't be anything amazing, but would love to take part in some way.

Best of luck lads, with the late night! You just know you lads are not going to sleep tonight! :D

You just know you lads are not going to sleep tonight! :D

Well you say that, but both ACD and Chorcaì are offline. What's going on there?

I want their eyes to be hanging out of their head. I want them walking around with a bit of drool coming out of the side of their mouth, bumping into doors and presses as they try to open their eyes enough to find the kettle and coffee.

They better have their alarms set for 4am!

:D

I can just about manage a text message !

I should be around from 8am onwards in the morning.

Any other thoughts on the layout ? Pick a page style !

To be honest, Chorcai, I like pretty much everything you've done so far.

The only potential issue i see is if this gets printed and a lot of photos are spread across two pages, then, unless the magazine is stapled like a gaming magazine or such, the spine of the mag will ruin the photos (there'll be a big bend in the centre of the photo).

That's such a minor, minor issue and if it comes up, it'll be way down the line. Yet, that's all thats coming into my head. I think you've done an excellent job on the templates.

right, i finally have lightroom installed on my OH's laptop after the hard drive in mine died during the week [taking months and months worth of photos with it] soooo..... if i can get irfanview installed i'm a bit more confident at the prospect of taking a few shots and getting them into you guys in reasonable time. hate not having my usual workflow round me. grrrrr :mad:

oh.... and this laptop isn't calibrated and has a tiny dark screen btw so this gonna be extra special fun... :rolleyes:

Would that be ok?

sounds cool to me :)

Front cover

43944271568247459E8C12B327CCD479-800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Hi, any chance the mods could sticky the requirements, I'm confused (having read the thread backwards)? Thanks, Hugh

Ok had to forge ahead here, If you could please look at the layout this is more or less the final draft bar adding content + text.

http://issuu.com/chorcai/docs/test247pro2

thoughts ?

Clicking, clicking, clicking........

Hugh_C wrote: »
    Hi, any chance the mods could sticky the requirements, I'm confused (having read the thread backwards)? Thanks, Hugh

I hope this is right (AnCatDubh throw your eye over this.)
    "Therefore the theme is:

In Just One Day

which I hope is fitting to the project aims and it also means that it is whatever you want to make of it - whether you are at work (which I know a few people are) or are heading out to capture a sunrise, or are heading into town to capture the streets, or will execute a planned shoot in a forest, or anything really. You can choose to expand that theme in whatever way you like. Just keep it within the 24 hour concept."

Images
    Take your photo today, do your PP, save as jpg then...

email to

24hourmagazine@gmail.com

With the following info (copy and paste into your email.)
    Your name:
    Your boards.ie username:
    Project title: (if you have done one if not leave blank)
    A title for your image:
    A description of the image/photograph:
    Website/Blog/Pix.ie/Flicker/Contact info: (If any)
    EXIF Info: (if you want ISO/F/SS/Time taken)

Articles
    Can be submitted here or emailed to 24hourmagazine@gmail.com

With the following info
    Your name:
    Your boards.ie username:
    Article title:
    A title for your image(s):
    Website/Blog/Pix.ie/Flicker/Contact info: (If any)

Hugh_C wrote: »

In addition to Chorcai's post the full details are here

http://twitter.com/Boards24hourmag

for all ye twitters out there !

What's happening with text articles?

Surely there are boardsies out there who would love to even write up a review of their latest purchase? Their Lowepro bag or an experience they've had?

Weather is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Sorry I'm pulling out of this, My day has gone from bad to terrible and I'm not in the mood to start taking/processing pics...

Weather is terrible.

Might be time to 'invent' an indoor home studio ;)

• Advertisement

Weather is terrible.

Tell me about it, dead skies and no visibility were not part of the plan for me today. Oh well, plan B time......

Advertisement