Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraded to new phone but not happy, can I change it?

Options
  • 06-07-2010 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

I upgraded to the Sony Ericsson W995 on vodafone but I am not impressed with certain features. The phone is described on vodafone as having GPS with turn by turn navigation. This was one of the reasons I chose it. What I didn't know was that it required GPRS to work which has me annoyed. Secondly the Sat Nav software is called Wayfinder 7 and is owned by Vodafone Group. I am having problems loading it and Vodafone say they no longer support this program. Thirdly the GPS takes about 15 minutes to find satellites even with "assisted start" turned on. Is it possible to return the phone and change it for a different handset altogether or will they pull out all the stops to prevent me doing so? The phone was bought from Carphone Warehouse in case it matters.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I upgraded to the Sony Ericsson W995 on vodafone but I am not impressed with certain features. The phone is described on vodafone as having GPS with turn by turn navigation. This was one of the reasons I chose it. What I didn't know was that it required GPRS to work which has me annoyed. Secondly the Sat Nav software is called Wayfinder 7 and is owned by Vodafone Group. I am having problems loading it and Vodafone say they no longer support this program. Thirdly the GPS takes about 15 minutes to find satellites even with "assisted start" turned on. Is it possible to return the phone and change it for a different handset altogether or will they pull out all the stops to prevent me doing so? The phone was bought from Carphone Warehouse in case it matters.

Thanks in advance

I reckon you probably will be able to return it, provided you'd be keeping the contract and getting another phone. But then again, that's pretty much at carphone warehouse's discretion. Provided the phone isn't broken, and it was advertised correctly, I don't think they have any legal obligation. I'd say just go into them and see.

On a side note, if you are looking for a GPS phone, I'd recommend any of the new nokia's with their free maps of anywhere. I got one recently and the sat nav is great. It doesn't insist on using GPRS, only if you want stuff like traffic updates. It's so good that I actually leave my TomTom at home most of the time now!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Hi

did you buy it on billpay? If so I'm sure you can cancel the contract within 14 days provided you return the phone, box etc. I think this is a legislatory entitlement so no dependant on where you bought the phone. In any case if it is significantly not as described I would reckon you should be entitled to a refund at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cillo2000

Hi Civildefence,

Sorry to post something off topic to your thread, but I couldn't post to your privious thread below as I needed over 30 posts to reply.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055580592&page=2

Can you please mail me the solution to you golf aircon problems - I have the exact same problem. Tried regas and the pressure was in the red too..

Regards,
    Cillo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Schorpio wrote: »
    On a side note, if you are looking for a GPS phone, I'd recommend any of the new nokia's with their free maps of anywhere. I got one recently and the sat nav is great. It doesn't insist on using GPRS, only if you want stuff like traffic updates.

I second this - have been using Ovi Maps free turn-by-turn sat nav on my E72 for the past few weeks and it's great. Just be sure if you want to avoid roaming data charges to download the maps you will need before you travel abroad. (Nokia also have an offer at the minute of a free in-car holder for some phones - see the list here.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cillo2000

On the phone issue - I've been using the HTC legend for the last 3 months. The google maps Nav is the bomb, picks up the signal fairly quickly and is better than the gps in my car. Besides the gps the phone is the best i've had, but the desire might be the better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

cillo2000 wrote: »
    The google maps Nav is the bomb, picks up the signal fairly quickly and is better than the gps in my car.

A difficulty with Google Maps for mobiles, as I understand it, is that it has to use the phone's data services to work properly. If you're abroad, this could incur significant roaming charges. With other products, like Ovi Maps or Co-Pilot, you have the option of downloading the maps you will need in advance, and setting the phone to use the integrated GPS functions only, avoiding all data charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Returned it with no problems to Carphone Warehouse, just had to do up another contract and change the insurance. Went for the Nokia E52 instead. Excellent phone by all means. Ovi Maps is an absolute gift. Makes your sat-nav redundant! I'm surprised Garmin, TomTom and the likes haven't tried to impede Ovi's efforts. Fair play to nokia for introducing this feature.

Advertisement