Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Have just bought a Talbot Highwayman, need help

• 06-07-2010 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I've just bought a 1988 Talbot Highwayman and I need some help, it's my first campervan.
    First, I can't figure out how to open the bonnet, any ideas? I assume it's the same on all Talbots of this age.
    Second, I'm not sure if the electrics are working or how to find out. If I plug it into the mains should that recharge the leisure battery? Should the alternator also charge the leisure battery?
    Third, is it possible to get replacement cassettes for toilets? Mines missing.
    Fourth, I assume I need the electrics working before I know if the gas fridge or water pump is working.
    Fifth, anyone know where in Dublin I can get foam cut to size for beds?

I'd appreciate any help/advice, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

007colm wrote: »
    Second, I'm not sure if the electrics are working or how to find out. If I plug it into the mains should that recharge the leisure battery? Should the alternator also charge the leisure battery?

Third, is it possible to get replacement cassettes for toilets? Mines missing.
    Fourth, I assume I need the electrics working before I know if the gas fridge or water pump is working.
    Hope it was cheap cos it sounds like you didn't check it out before you bought it.

Get a digital volt meter and measure the leisure battery voltage, when the engine has been off for a while then run the engine you should see about 12 V engine off and 13 to 14 on.

Do the same with and with out mians hookup (alway keep engine off for this)

If you are seeing a voltage difference then the battey is charging. I'd be a good idea to take out both batteries and give them a good charge on a battery charger anyway.

There's a mattress place in Capel street where we got ours a couple of years back. On the right hand side of the street just before Mary st/Capel st. junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I've just bought a 1988 Talbot Highwayman and I need some help, it's my first campervan.

1. First, I can't figure out how to open the bonnet, any ideas? I assume it's the same on all Talbots of this age.

2. Second, I'm not sure if the electrics are working or how to find out.
    If I plug it into the mains should that recharge the leisure battery?

3. Should the alternator also charge the leisure battery?

4. Third, is it possible to get replacement cassettes for toilets? Mines missing.

5. Fourth, I assume I need the electrics working before I know if the gas fridge or water pump is working.

1. The bonnet is probably stuck on the catch . Get someone firmly pull on the bonnet pull lever (LH of dash) , while you pull up on the bonnet .

2.Yes it should , unless it's an incredibly basic model with no Mains charger . Highly unlikely .

3. Yes , it should .

4. Yes , it is , your's is probably the older , longer type . MEasure the distance from the end of the cassette space to the door.

5. Yes and no . If it's a manually sparked fridge , it should light without any current in the camper . Obviously you will need mains power for the 220v function , and the 12v charging system working for the 12v function on the fridge . The pump will need the leisure battery working .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 007colm

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    1. The bonnet is probably stuck on the catch . Get someone firmly pull on the bonnet pull lever (LH of dash) , while you pull up on the bonnet .

2.Yes it should , unless it's an incredibly basic model with no Mains charger . Highly unlikely .

3. Yes , it should .

4. Yes , it is , your's is probably the older , longer type . MEasure the distance from the end of the cassette space to the door.

5. Yes and no . If it's a manually sparked fridge , it should light without any current in the camper . Obviously you will need mains power for the 220v function , and the 12v charging system working for the 12v function on the fridge . The pump will need the leisure battery working .

Thanks, got the bonnet open eventually, it's a 2 man job till I get it fixed.

The space inside the door is 70cm, I think it's the thetford c2/c3/c4 cassette, hopefully I'll pick one up 2nd hand cheaply enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

TBh they'd be rare S/H . Where are you located?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think it was a similar age Highwayman that "Practical Motorhome" were doing as a DIY project this year, and I think one of the things they did was replace the toilet. Current issue has the list of projects (I think we still have so I'll try and check and post which issue).

Advertisement