Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible irregularity with local Nightclub

Options
  • 06-07-2010 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭

Now, this nightclub I'm about to describe is a bit of a whole but it's the only 18s on in the town (most of the others are over 20s) and this issue hasn't affected me but some people I know have been affected by it.

Basically, the age limit is 18s for girls but 19s for boys, which annoys the hell out of me. It's no big deal for me because I'm 20 but it is for some of my friends who are as young as 18.

They're great for false advertising as well. They give out concessions which say "free entry before 12:30". I hand mine in at 11:50 and the woman on the till charges me a fiver. I tell her what it says on the concession and she says "Oh that's expired", despite there being no expiry date. Eventually I just walked in without paying her because there was no bouncer stopping me.

Whatever about the false advertising, ever since I (and a few others, no doubt) challenged them on it they seem to have changed the concessions. However, the age limit stinks of sexism and can't be legal, surely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

unless you have been affected by the age restriction there is nothing you can do. Also do they advertise their age restrictions? If so then thats dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Contact the ASA if you see any evidence of misleading or false advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you believe it's a case of sexual or age discrimination then you should contact the Equality Authority. Their mandate states:
    The Employment Equality Act, 1998 and the Equal Status Act, 2000 outlaw discrimination in employment, vocational training, advertising, collective agreements, the provision of goods and services and other opportunities to which the public generally have access on nine distinct grounds.

These are:
    * gender;
    * marital status;
    * family status;
    * age;
    * disability;
    * race;
    * sexual orientation;
    * religious belief; and
    * membership of the Traveller Community.

I know that pubs and clubs can have a policy of stating a minimum age for entry, but it should be the same for men and women. To change the age for each sex is discriminatory.

In relation to any false advertising, you should contact the ASAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

As stated above the equal status act 2000 (as far as im aware this was not amended in the 2004 act) youcannot descriminate on the basis of age or gender. this is illegal and was brought in to do away with places being over 23s, over 20s etc.

I would right to the management before reporting them personally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As stated above the equal status act 2000 (as far as im aware this was not amended in the 2004 act) youcannot descriminate on the basis of age or gender. this is illegal and was brought in to do away with places being over 23s, over 20s etc.

Equality provisions for pubs are contained in the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003, a summary of which you can read on this site.

Section 25 allows a licensee to set a minimum age for the sale of intoxicating liquor which is above the statutory minimum age of 18, as long as the policy is publicly displayed and exercised in good faith.

A pub/night club can set any age over 18 for entry. What's not clear is whether they can set a different age for men and women, I would think not. A charge of discrimination must be brought before the district court, though you cannot bring any case against them if you yourself were not discriminated against.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

jor el wrote: »
    Equality provisions for pubs are contained in the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003, a summary of which you can read on this site.

Section 25 allows a licensee to set a minimum age for the sale of intoxicating liquor which is above the statutory minimum age of 18, as long as the policy is publicly displayed and exercised in good faith.

A pub/night club can set any age over 18 for entry. What's not clear is whether they can set a different age for men and women, I would think not. A charge of discrimination must be brought before the district court, though you cannot bring any case against them if you yourself were not discriminated against.

Thanks for that. Im aware of a few cases, though can't find the citation where people have brought descrimination cases at night clubs where women were free and men were charged, I would imagine age descrimination works the same way. Post 2003 also I think.

Advertisement