Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 14 (FFXIV)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

If I wasn't in work at the moment I'd take a screenshot of my armory pack show you the state my gear is at. Complete mess because at this rate I have a Gladiator, Conjurer, Miner, Botanist, Carpenter, Leather Worker, etc. etc.. you get the picture. Basically every gathering / crafting class and two battle classes each with own gear. I really need to go through it and sort it out...

I do recommend holding onto starter gear and unlike what I did, when you get a quest where you already have that piece of armor or better, get the opposite version. As in, if you are a caster, pick up the STR gear for leveling a new class. Else you will spend the first few levels fighting naked.

For new classes you do not get new quests.. That is the trick of leveling all classes. Sure you can do the starter quests in the two areas you have not visited but that will get you maybe two pieces of armor and around 3 levels and again, are not repeatable. After that you are relying on hunts (which are separate for each class) and hests / leves. This is the one thing that will cause people to roll new characters for new classes I think.
    I've been taking my time with the game to be honest and have not once gotten bored. Even while gathering / crafting. Tanked the first instance last night. Straight forward enough. Last boss has a slight tactic to it but nothing major if you have played an MMO before. Currently at level 18 with Glad.

As far as Odin is concerned. They are still restricting logons for a while to make sure the load can be handled. This really should have been done during beta but none the less.. It shouldn't last too long. It was much better yesterday compared to early access for me at least so hopefully it is already improving.

This came from a Dev so that'll mean good news for logging on and character creation:
    However, the second half of the announcement regarding increasing the capacity of our data centers was meant to also encompass North American and European data center Worlds and not just be limited to Japan data center Worlds.

We deeply apologize for causing concern amongst the North American and European community due to our lack of clarity. Capacity will be increased for data centers in all regions.

Once again, thank you for your understanding and cooperation to help us welcome more players to the game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So general consensus over the internet is that this is a fantastic game. I may take the plunge so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Got to lvl 10 on my Glad lastnight, so far so good, incredibly polished.
    Ive learned not to be too hasty in proclaiming an MMO as being great but so far its very good.

Getting this error when i try start the launcher.

Nevermind , sorted!

269295.png

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Where are you Cully? I'm coming in! :)

• Advertisement

Nemesis wrote: »
    Where are you Cully? I'm coming in! :)

Phoenix EU

Might roll a conjurer for my usual healing fix :P
    Not sure if i want to do the class change thing and have no quests and have to do those hunt grinds,then again might just see how it actually works before rerolling.

name is Allene Slater if anyone wants to add me :P

Dcully wrote: »
    Phoenix EU

Not sure if i want to do the class change thing and have no quests and have to do those hunt grinds,then again might just see how it actually works before rerolling.

Although it does sound tedious, one thing I will point out is that the level difference between your main class and any alt classes directly effects the amount of xp you earn. The greater the level difference, the greater the xp earned.
    Also then from around level 17 or so you will have access to the various dungeons for quick xp gain.
    But each to their own. I have four characters created but only use one. No idea if I'll ever use the others to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Phoenix EU

You will still have the Levemetes available for Lvl 1 characters, they go up in groups of 5 (lvl 1, lvl 5, lvl 10). And since you earn passes every 12 hours, you could store them up for plowing through a new class. Plus each class has its own quest chain, not a massive amount of xp but still better than grinding mob kills.

I also randomly picked Phoenix EU during the head start so might see you guys on there, char name is Ferathir Lashon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looks like they've halted digital sales for the moment, and are upgrading their servers.
    Due to the overwhelmingly positive response to FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn, we are currently experiencing extremely long wait times for users to be able to log in and play. As a temporary measure, we will halt sales of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A REALM REBORN’s digital download products so we can accommodate all of those wishing to play. We are working to expand our server capacity in the coming days.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/08/final-fantasy-xiv-is-so-popular-square-enix-is-halting-sales/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Got onto Odin just after 6 last night after about 5 mins of keyboard bashing.

Got cnj upto level 12 pretty quickly, brilliant having cure, protect and raise available on thm now.

The gear sets are an absolute God send, really don't have to worry about inventory space at all. I've started collecting quest rewards for other classes too, to save me running around in the nip when I start a new one >.>

• Advertisement

Glad now at 19, Conj at 8.

Gladiator + protect as a cross spell really does limit the amount of damage I can take.

Tanked the final two beginner instances last night. First of the two was a doddle. Second had a little more tactic to it.
    Second boss involves the use of bomb mobs to weaken the boss a number of times before actually being able to kill it, all while another mob spawns to annoy you. Still easy enough.

The final boss is a bit tougher. Hits pretty hard. Spawns an add that attacks a wall which you need to take down asap. Eventually this wall will break and more adds will come. If DPS is lacking it can cause the group to be overwhelmed by adds. We wiped on first try but got it the second. Really it just involves good use of limit breaks and it should be fine.

Got access to a retainer now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lovesfatgirls

came looking for a thread like this im glad to see so many have picked this game up, so ive a question is it worth picking up a ps3 solely for this game?(p.c is out of the question) it looks great and looks fairly deep aswell. the money isnt really the issue for the console because of ps+, its the subscription to play, im about 6 months out of a WoW coma so im a bit on the ropes/skeptical about putting money into another mmo, ive heard alot of horror stories about farmers and gold sellers in ff11, so any input would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

This has piqued my interest. As someone who has absolutely no experience in MMO's (but plenty with the offline FF's) is this an easy game to get into?

This has piqued my interest. As someone who has absolutely no experience in MMO's (but plenty with the offline FF's) is this an easy game to get into?

Knowing the whole FF lore will make the game familiar, but tbh its a pretty different ball game to an offline game. Did you play FFXII?. I loved it, but a lot didn't cos it played like an 'offline MMO'.

Having said that the learning curve is pretty kind, and if you read up a bit on the trinity of healer, tank and damage dealer (and pick a style you like - or try them all and choose, which you can do on 1 character), and focus on getting good at that.

Its a fun game - but be wary of the MMO time sink, they can take over your life very easily......

The more i play the more i like.
    Its an absolutely beautiful looking game,it has to be seen to be believed.
    My only complaint is the map is hard to understand, well the zone you are in is fine, its actually a very intuitive map but when your looking to go to another zone its a tad confusing,could be just me however.

Anyone playing on the PS3? Would love to give it a go, but don't have a pc currently.

Also, i'm guessing if i started on a PS3, i couldn't then play using the same account using a pc in a few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Kiith wrote: »
    Anyone playing on the PS3? Would love to give it a go, but don't have a pc currently.

Also, i'm guessing if i started on a PS3, i couldn't then play using the same account using a pc in a few months?

Can play on both formats with one account, but you need a copy of the game for each.

Razleavy wrote: »
    Can play on both formats with one account, but you need a copy of the game for each.

Excellent. Will definitely pick this up over the weekend.

Actually...might not be a good idea. Dcully is playing as well, and together we can bring any MMO to it's knees in a matter of weeks :P

With messing around on other classes etc, I had fallen behind a bit on the main story, so caught up somewhat last night.

I can confirm that a THM can easily main heal the lvl 15 dungeon (Shahasta or whatever its called). In fact THM is probably better than a CNJ as a quick blizzard on the tanks target will get your the Umbral Ice buff to refill your MP in a matter of seconds, I dont think i ever fell below 80% total MP. 0 KOs and all but 1 of the coffers had magey drops, so i did rather well overall ;)

Half thinking of doing some crafting tonight, but also want to continue story up to Ifrit fight.... we'll see later. So much to do, so little time (I'm away with work for the next 3 weeks, getting withdrawal symptoms already).

I have to say im totally ignoring the story,im just clicking through the walls of text.

• Advertisement

I have to say im totally ignoring the story,im just clicking through the walls of text.

Try not to. There is some great humor in it. Sure it is a lot of reading but that is Final Fantasy in general. And to be honest, reading is way better than the god awful voice acting in game :P

Didn't get much play time last night. Quiet weekend ahead so looking forward to doing a bit more. At this point I just want my mount :pac:

@ArthurG I've been reading up on the dungons. The first three are just introductory. Apparently after this it's a whole new ball game that will separate the good from the bad. Personally I can't wait to see. As tank, I found the first three quite basic. Looking forward to the rest. I've not tanked a proper dungeon since the original Blackwing Lair in wow. Those were the days!

Noxin wrote: »
    @ArthurG I've been reading up on the dungons. The first three are just introductory. Apparently after this it's a whole new ball game that will separate the good from the bad. Personally I can't wait to see. As tank, I found the first three quite basic. Looking forward to the rest. I've not tanked a proper dungeon since the original Blackwind Lair in wow. Those were the days!

Yes I agree, it was very basic, just an intro really.Then again some people do need it - we had the old DPS pulling multiple mobs thing, not waiting for the tank and so on. No one died but I think the message got through (i.e. my focus as healer is the tank, if you run off pulling mobs you might die etc).

Looking forward to more challenging content however reading the forums it appears that THM/BLM damage is looking a bit weak which is worrying. No doubt there'll be some balancing done in the weeks and months ahead though.

Pretty thorough update on server status:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1ld2rv/further_details_on_access_restrictions/

TLDR: massively underestimated demand as they though the bad taste left from 1.0 would put people off......

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

One of the best things about Final Fantasy MMOs is that they actually have a good story! Not half assed attempts like some others out there.
    Expansions are also something to look forward to if it's anything like FFXI! I still regard the FFXI expansion Chains of Promathia to be one of the best gaming experiences that I have experienced :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

still cant buy which now makes me want to buy it :confused:
    Dam you brain psyche thingy :(

Razleavy wrote: »
    Expansions are also something to look forward to if it's anything like FFXI! I still regard the FFXI expansion Chains of Promathia to be one of the best gaming experiences that I have experienced :p

I agree - I'm still in touch with my static from CoP 5/6 years later. Jesus that was an emotional rollercoaster, finally getting to Sea was such an achievement, I think I wept when I zoned in the first time. That weapon battle on the airship, dear God, the number of tries to get it. Kids have it easy nowadays......

Just finished Tam Tara dungeon. When you hand it in, there an hilarious cut scene featuring some NPCs who are berating a healer for.... well I won't spoil it, but it was funny......

Absolutely knackered tonight so didn't do too much. Learned about Materia and how to make it and add it to gear.

Did however just pick up a quest called Lord of the Inferno. I believe me and Ifrit will soon be having a showdown however I kinda want to get some better gear before I go. I hate the idea of being a badly geared tank trying to do instances too tough for him.. :P

My Gladiator is lvl 18 now, i thought id lvl up the conjurer to 15 as i think i need it to access the Paladin job on Gladiator later?
    Either way it was a total grind and a pain to lvl up without story quests,im guessing it just got so slow as the gap between the Glad lvl 18 got smaller thus negating the xp bonus you get depending on how many levels apart you are from your main class --- if that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it necessary to keep changing class ?

Advertisement