Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 14 (FFXIV)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

there only chance is for the PS3 release this march.

If they can get their act in gear by then, then they can save this from being the first Final Fantasy since FFII from being a total joke of a game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

there only chance is for the PS3 release this march.

If they can get their act in gear by then, then they can save this from being the first Final Fantasy since FFII from being a total joke of a game.

Uh... FFX-2?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kurbinator

well if 14 doesn't get it's act together I'm going back to 11.I don't like the idea cause PoL and it's dodgey history but IMO FFXI was better than WoW WAR AoC Runes of Magic FF14 All of which I've played.
    The only thing going for it is it's graphics which means sweet FA if you had to fork out 200 quid for an up to date card like myself:mad:.
    Well admitaditly I had to get 1 eventually so not that bad over it but still what a jip

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Its easy to see why the game is getting roasted by the critics atm, whatever leeway you may have extended an MMO in its early days its clear the game was pushed out the door too soon. SE isnt a new company, they're not a small company, its not like they dont have other MMOs to take notes from and its not like its even their first stab in this genre...

Its not all bad tho, I do like some things they have done with it.

I like crafting more than I have in any other MMO, they put a lot of work into the system and it shows. Its easy to get into too, just like with any job/class you need only buy the weap from a vendor and off you go. You get crafting quests which supply you with the required mats, so you get eased into it (not to mention free skill ups). Similar story with gathering classes, each with its own interface its nicely done. Also the nodes are shared, so theres no scramming for that glistening tree - everyone gets their piece.

Even if the quest system could use a shake up, its nice that mobs appear specifically for you (/your group), so theres no fighting over spawns.

I really like the cross class ability system. As a mage, I can use a tp move to heal myself (from PUG - the hand to hand melee class), cure and buff myself/others from healing class while nuking/doting away from my own class. This system also works for crafting, each craft has its own abilities you learn as you skill up which you can then use in another craft. For eg, lvl10 carpenter learns "tender touch" which reduces durability loss while synthing, you can then proc this ability while your goldsmithing. And again, same deal for gathering classes, they also have their own abilities as you skill up.

Theres a nice amount of teleport crystals around which allows you port from place to place using anima. The problem atm is, since there are no airships or chocobos yet, its your only way of getting around (other than on foot) so its pretty easy to burn thru ur anima. You can manage it well if you play with friends or group up, since only 1 person needs to teleport and the rest of the group gets offered a free ride :)

And I did my first proper exp party a few days ago, even with the state of the game as is, it was a lot of fun!

Between the group experience and having a nice guild/ls, its what is really keeping me here atm. The game really is in beta atm and I would have otherwise taken a few months out. On the upside, I think time/patches will bring it along, its not like the game itself is broken. Things pick up at about 20 for the fighting classes, with some of the more funky spells/abilities only showing up then - but plenty are finding it hard to get motivated to get that into it as along with the game being in such an incomplete state, it feels like they have stretched out the bit of content they do have as a way of stalling people...

my gladiator's only on lvl 11 atm as are my blacksmith and armoror miner is on 13.Still on starting gear can't make any relaible gear for my gladiator:mad:
    Not sure if i should go back to 11 or stay for the free month

• Advertisement

I must say, y'day after reading an email from SE reminding me that the billing period was soon to begin, I began to think a bit more seriously about taking those few months out. I came across some interviews with Tanaka & co published this week from Eurogamer and PCGamer which basically went about asking why such a disappointment and how do you plan to fix this mess. SE have gone about apologising and blah blah... patches to come...

I will say this much for them, they are not a company with a reputation for being transparent or forthcoming but actions of late are steps in the right direction. Yesterday evening I was literally looking at my account screen thinking '1 month or cancel, 1 month or cancel' and spotted in the background someone /shouting in game about another free month! I want to say its nice of them, but my thoughts are more - its the least they can do!

I still feel the game has much potential, but with so much work to be done I dont really want to pay for this beta period. 3 big patches coming in the next few months, starting next week, to bring much needed fixes, adjustments, missing functionality and some content.

Im sure they werent under any illusion that the launch was going to go smoothly, but given how badly its been received there is now more riding on the PS3 launch than ever. Its easy to say now after how badly its been slammed they should have delayed release, but in all honesty I think I would have made the same decision. Aiming for a bit before Cata release, they had an opportunity to get some users who would have otherwise not bothered trying the game at all. The hope that once introduced to the game, even in that state would have at least got the game on their radar and while some would have just turned away, others could see the potential and would have checked back in after patching - netting SE some users who would have never touched the game if they launched 3 months post Cata. Thats my thoughts on it anyway.

Heres hoping they deliver on everything outlined and then some. Anything less than "much improved" & "has come along in leaps and bounds" with the PS3 reviews and I can see budget cuts and server merges :s

I hate to say it but I'm really pi$$ed off at SE personally.That being said I went back to FFXI great game but I don't have the time to play it.Ironically WoW is the only game I have the actual time to play.Ironic because if you asked me 5/6 years ago about WoW I would of given you a list on how crap it is and another list on how great FFXI is life ehh:o.
    As it turns out WoW's childlike simplisity suits me as I get more done in it than FFXI.But as soon as the Summer break rolls up going home to FFXI

My MMO Ranking

FFXI
    WoW
    AoC
    WAR
    * (All of those fre MMO's like Rumes of Magic ect.)
    FF14 (worst MMO yet IMO)

Is that your actual ranking or the order in which they were released? :p
    Kurbinator wrote: »
    My MMO Ranking

FFXI (8 years old)
    WoW (6 years old)
    AoC (1.5 years old)
    WAR (1.2 years old)
    * (All of those fre MMO's like Rumes of Magic ect.)
    FF14 (worst MMO yet IMO) (7 weeks old)

Just sayin' :p

And is it even 7 weeks old? The vast majority of people - even on the fansites - would happily tell you the games real launch is in March. I dont even really think its a cop out to put the excuse that it really is in beta atm. Think about how many simple things are missing. There is no AH (!!), theres no mailbox system of any kind, theres no mounts, theres no airships, extremely basic functionality like inviting a friend to a party cannot be done unless they are standing near you, chat window doesnt work properly and doesnt do simple things you would just expect, so many early areas arent even there - every city has paths and stairs leading off to places you cant go yet........ the list goes on and on.... UI needs much work, combat needs work ^^ Can you imagine logging in tomorrow and that stuff is there/sorted? That there was any sort of exciting content added. Its not a pipe dream, its just not there yet

Its a mess atm, and even with extended free time I may still go off to play Cata for awhile. But I am excited about what could become of XIV :pac:

>< I suppose your right just irritates me that somethings that were so basic were never added.Agreed that it has so much going for it.I

Important announcement! FFXIV Theme song changed:

Other Important announcement! FFXIV is free until further notice!

• Advertisement

would somebody let me know when 14's fixed or updated to a good standard atm I'll focus on WoW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Appears SE have finally admitted they fcuked up. Tanaka has been given the boot and they've drafted in a load of FF veterans to try to save the game.

PS3 version has been indefinately delayed, and in effect the PC game is now F2P.

I'd stick with WoW.....

(PS sorry I'm at work and can't access game sites to post a link, but check out eurogamer or mmorpg.com forums for proof)

Edit: or click the link 2 posts above :)

Kurbinator wrote: »
    would somebody let me know when 14's fixed or updated to a good standard atm I'll focus on WoW

Dont look at me, Im taking a break for awhile myself XD Thought they would have the game in better shape by early next year, I can see now that its going to take even longer - just so much **** to be done...

Good they delayed PS3, just means they arent going to make the same mistake twice - its a clear msg they know what shape the game is in and that the PS3 launch needs to go off with a bang (a good one ^^)... So maybe mid next year Kurb :P

Think ill just lay off mmo's in general for awhile :D Havent even finished AC2 not to mention Brotherhood or whatever the newer one is and ive GT5 sitting beside me, think its about time I put it on - havent played a racing game in forever (wipeout and mariokart not incl!)

Starlightxiv.jpg

Happy holidays :cool:

Ivan wrote: »
    Uh... FFX-2?

FFX-2 wasn't great, but it was finished, and not broke to ****(the fighting system itself, when you subtract all the ****e, wasn't that bad!) .
    but FFXIV was still a laughing stock when the beta test ended.

I havn't logged in to the ol' forum in ages, but just to say where I stand with the whole ffxiv thing:
    I havn;t bought it for PC and won't. I will definitely be buying a copy for PS3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hi,looking to get my first mmo,saw this on sale in game for 18 euro,is it worth getting?how much a month is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Hi,looking to get my first mmo,saw this on sake in game for 18 euro,is it worth getting?
    In a word, no. It would probably put you off MMO's for life.

Hi,looking to get my first mmo,saw this on sale in game for 18 euro,is it worth getting?how much a month is it?

Its free to play atm, basically because its in a broken state. Was released much too early and I wouldnt recommend it as is. It is being heavily worked on and may (*hopefully*) be worth looking into in the future tho (as in summer '11)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

swirlser wrote: »
    Its free to play atm, basically because its in a broken state. Was released much too early and I wouldnt recommend it as is. It is being heavily worked on and may (*hopefully*) be worth looking into in the future tho (as in summer '11)

Well just as well I did'nt buy it then,

swirlser wrote: »

Whats actually wrong with it?bugs galore?

Yes, plus they seem to have forgotten one obviously crucial aspect in that games are meant to actually be fun to play.

• Advertisement

Blowfish wrote: »
    Yes, plus they seem to have forgotten one obviously crucial aspect in that games are meant to actually be fun to play.

Well thats explains why its going so cheap everywhere :P

Not so much buggy at this point, which is in some ways why Ive stopped playing it. As a couple of months ago there were bugs a plenty and it was kinda thought that once they fixed those things up everything would just start to look up... but all that happened was the excuse you once had was "fixed" (to a degree anyway) and you were just left with a shell of a game that couldnt stand on its own feet ^_^ In fact the first big version update at the end of Sept which had a hefty list of fixes and improvements they did completely deliver on and rather than pushing the game forward it seemed to only shine a light on just how much work they still had to do ><

They really did just leave out of the FUN factor. You get a pretty looking game with the basic MMO formula, but theres no trimmings, little thrills and milestones are underwhelming and few and far between. Instead the grind bar is very much in your face and its only a matter of time before you question why your bothering at all.

My first week was uber lag filled, which as annoying as it was - was thanks to thousands of ppl all starting off together. A combo of numbers dropping, players spreading out and SE putting in some more hidden divides helped ease things up by standard retail launch. The few weeks that followed I enjoyed myself mostly. The bugs were obvious and annoying but the novelty of the new world, getting to see something new most days and the community made for an enjoyable enough experience. As far as I was concerned SE had a plan, they had said months before launch there would be no AH at the beginning and that there was no end content at that stage - none of this worried me as I just assumed they had some sort of a rd map and that if you were pacing yourself thru early content these things wouldnt be much of a bother. But by end of month 1, people were burning out, populations were noticeably dwindling and news of what was to be added/fixed was very slow to emerge. The game just went downhill from there. The reviews were coming out and were pretty scathing and the clear population hit caused SE to jump into dmg control. Whatever plan they may or may not of had was out the window, I can only imagine the kind of unsub numbers that were coming in as the free trial period was supposed to end and reality smacked them in the face.

Anyway, that was it, the apologies started rolling and the 'new' 3-month plan was set out, but for most it was too little too late. For others, like myself, we waited it out a little longer to see what they would do. But as I said earlier, despite an on time and fully delivered first big version update it only seemed to put the daunting work load of what it would take to make this game enjoyable in perspective.

If this didnt have the FF title and the console launch ahead, I would be flat out quitting and calling the game a flop. Instead Ill step back, say the PC launch was a flop and try keep my hopes in check that come PS3 launch the 'real' game begins. SE are at least making all the right sounds at this point and showing a strong commitment to getting this game sorted out.

So thats it ^^ Ill look in maybe from time to time (or not ;p), but really my advice to anyone thinking about checking this game out is that your best to wait probably 6+ months, see when the PS3 launch is due and closer to that date check out whats going on with it.

Did'nt realise it was coming out for the ps3,I might wait for to come out on that :-).

:sniffle:

Just remembered this thread and figured Id update (and was then reminded how excited I was for this game :/ )

Havent played since late last year (with the exception of a couple of hours in the last 9 months!!)

The quick version of the story is the game still isnt up to scratch ^_^;

Its still free to play and progress has been slow. Although as Ive been checking in on forums pretty much monthly to read patch notes/trending topics I understand that when the new team that stepped in said they were going to do a complete overhaul, they really werent kidding!

Last check:

Lag is a fraction of what it was.
    UI has been on a diet.
    There are now more NPCs and quest givers (and actual quests lol!, there wasnt really much outside the core storyline and "levequests" back when I was playing).
    Serious battle system changes happened/happening (auto attack was put in, the weird physical level system has been removed, the fatigue system has been removed, Mana regens now (another lol for that).
    Dungeons added! (yup there were none!)
    Mounts added! (only took them a year!)

Pretty much every aspect of leveling has been tweaked - gathering classes have had all related actions sped up, points needed to ding reduced, party bonuses finally added, chain bonuses added...
    Some high level content

The nightmare (I forget the name of it), the AH substitute thingie *drawing a blank*, anyway it now has a search function - still not as good as an AH, but at least you can search. You wanted to open your wrists when I last played if you had to search for stuff.
    Many things dumbed down (sadly), mobs now have their lvl and how they aggro displayed, I think there is a built in threat meter now, can finally target party members from clicking on their name (So much basic **** that should have been in already has finally made it).
    Airships added!
    Its been better optimized, so it no longer makes your machine scream (and seems to run better even on what was deemed a mid range PC from last year)

Anyway, all good stuff, all should have been there from last year, but afaik the game still has a way to go. I think they are due to hit version 1.2 by end of year and rumour has it they may give out some news about the PS3 launch around then - which Im excited about, because it will signal they do believe the game is in such a state they can hand it back to reviewers and not be laughed at, again. Plus new life into the game...

I dont want to go back until Im sure its in a much much better place, sadly thats probably not happening this year o.O

But there you go, its still there and its crawling forward, its about to hit its first birthday and its only just getting mounts :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

man such a disappointment, I still get ff cravings even from just hearing ff style music in movies! that's why I was praying for this to be good alas...

oh well good to hear progress is being made :)

Well, they have announced the PS3 version date

keyVisual.png?_v=7ls

Q1 2013 >_<;;;

Crap....

This roadmap PDF Shows some nice changes. Pity its all taking longer than Id have hoped :s The free trial is ending at the end of this year, not sure if ill retry into the new year or wait until the PS3 launch (the 2.0 "reboot")

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Looks impressive. I hope it will be enough in a SWTOR / GW2 world.

Edit: Starting to charge now is a mistake IMO, they should wait till 2.0.

Charging a sub for it is ludicrous. In essence it's in Beta until 2.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Despite having a chance to play this for free for well over a year i pretty much gave up on it after 2-3 months as it was in such a bad state. I had lost hope to be honest. Only start thinking about it last week and decided to give it another shot given all the updates even though id have to pay €10. I first decided to read over patch notes and updates etc. I came across some really good videos which gives the best from each patch.

1.15a

1.17a

There has been some massive improvements which iv been quite happy about. Alot of the changes seem to reflect the good aspects of FFXI from a battle and playstyle point of view but also made some improvements. Gone is the ghastly physichal level, no auto-attack bad UI/Abilities etc. It is much easier to understand an implement. The one thing that still needs huge improvement is the server lag and optimization. Make no mistake this game is still not optimized correctly, and if you have a high end machine it will often run worse than better.

I dont think its worth paying on a continuous basis as of right now. Maybe wait until 2.0 as mentioned but to pick it up and play is enjoyable. The only thing i regret is that there was a bug a few versions back where a lvl 1,3,10 etc player could group up with level 40-50 people and get the same EXP so pretty much anyone that plays constantly now is well above the starter levels so its all solo for a while.

• Advertisement

Sad that it was such a disaster. there were even aspect of the 'old' FFXIV I liked.
    It seems when it comes to fixing a piece of ****, they couldn't tell the difference between the things people were complaining about because it obviously sucked arse biscuits. and the things people were complaining about because it was new and unusual.

then again I was probably the only person in the history of the world that didn't mind the fatigue/physical level business, I just wanted the game not to be so laggy and have such pathetic excuses for menus and cursors.

Advertisement