Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 14 (FFXIV)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Watched some of those clips, altho somewhat interesting to someone who has at least played it, they must be awful boring for someone who doesnt know anything about the game. Also matching up the up-tempo music and some of the incredibly mundane parts was very odd!

I must say Ive let slip even checking in from time to time to see what SE are doing now, even that has become annoying. There is some amount of messing going on. While some of it may be necessary, they do seem to be tripping over themselves at times too. With the deletion of parts of the game and items and marks etc, just seems best to forget about it all and if I cba in future to come back and see whats going on with it so be it.

Honestly, I think they should have gone at it with a sledge hammer, instead of this softly softly tweaking this and that and adjusting and re adjusting.... you do that when you have something worth while tweaking! The game was/is a mess, dont worry upsetting the balance and order and harmony because it doesnt exists!

"He needs more blankets AND he needs less blankets!"
    (Dunno why this came to mind!)

Think Ill just wait and let the critics tell me if 2.0 is actually worth a look at all... Merry 2012 FF fans, see you in 2013, maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Figured i would update this thread too for those that are following this one and not the other.
    MarkJD wrote: »
    After playing FFXI since 2005-2010 I had high hopes for FFXIV. I got the CE at launch but after it failed terribly i didnt touch it until Feb 2012.

Iv been playing it regularly since and it is quite enjoyable. It has been under Yoshi P for well over a year now and him and the development team have made a lot of good changes bearing in mind they are still greatly held back from the terrible server structure and engine the game was originally built on. They have been providing huge patches and changes to the current game while at the same time building and designing a brand new game for the relaunch.

Dont get me wrong there is still plenty that warrants this game as non playable but if you can get passed that in the interim it is fun to play right now and plenty to do until the new version launches.

FFX|V 2.0 as they put it will be out hopefully December this year and while agree this game is pretty much dead and buried there will be a big draw back from players once it launches. Everything is getting redesigned! New servers, New Client, New World, New system and a lot of people are holding out. There was a little bit of noise and new info at E3 and Japan Expo this year but in typical SE fashion they are being tight lipped. A flood of new info, screens and videos is set to land sometime in August. Following that servers will be shut down for 1 Month for Alpha / Beta of the new client and then release. It will then come out on the PS3 soon after. Yoshi P even made an effort and brought the development team into Blizzard to sit down with with the WoW Developers and directors so that they could learn from them and take aspects of what they have done right. Make no mistakes SE is putting everything into this relaunch as they see it this is their chance to save face and the brand.

Some pics below of the new game / engine and concept art. These were taken at 15-20% optimization but they still look amazing! I have no doubt that this will be the most beautiful MMO game out there. It just needs the system and basics behind that other MMOs have done well to make it good and playable to the masses.

Character-Creation-Page-1.png

Delivery-Moogle.png

Scenery-Forest.png

In-game-Jumping.png

8847Battle-Sequence_Black-Mage.png

8848Battle-Sequence_Dragoon-1.png

Scenery-Desert.png

8849Battle-Sequence_Dragoon-2.png

Monster-Tiamat.png

Aquatic-Town.png

Chocobo-Ranch-Building-Stables.png

Full list can be seen here - http://www.ffandmore.com/?p=2623

Also multiple interviews from E3 & Japan Expo of those following the game eg - http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/2012/06/07/e3-2012-interview-summons-chocobos-train-tracks-and-rocks/

Also as it stands now, there will be an "entry" subscription plan that lets you create up to 8 characters, but only one per server, and this plan will cost $10.99. Legacy will cost $9.99 (those that have currently paid for 3 months subscription or more), and the standard plan will cost $12.99.

Is there anyone currently playing or plan to give it a shot when 2.0 comes about? I think alot of people like the fact that it will be on the PS3 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AstroDMG

Well the rebirth of FFXIV trailer was released yesterday, it got me excited for this game again.

Yea most definitely! Also there will be some new gameplay footage released at Gamescon on the 16th of August. This will be from the brand new engine and client. Cant wait!

The producer made a second trailer. The first one he felt was designed more as a movie style trailer where as this one he wnated to give it a more Final Fantasy feel. Has some of the same scenes from the first one but the voice over is a little bit better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYMrFXcqvk4&feature=player_embedded

Still no gameplay but that is going to happen at Gamescon on the 16th of August.
    I know you’re all jonesin’ for some in-game footage, though, and I promise it’s on the way. We’re going to be introducing some of the new content and features, doing walkthroughs on some maps, and showing the overhauled combat and Battle Regimen systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Is this going free to play or a full price game with a subscription or has the price plan even been announced yet?

This wont be free to play. The price plan will be $12.99 for 1 character or $14.99 for 8 characters. There is a special legacy price plan for older players who have paid for at least 90 days consecutive membership of $9.99 but its too late to qualify for that.

You can pickup a copy of it right now if you want to try it in its current state for about €10.00 (Worthwhile)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Final-Fantasy-XIV-Standard-Edition/dp/B003S3RNJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344519825&sr=8-1

With this you will be given access to the version 2.0 Client for download when it released in December this year for free. You will also get 1 months free trial now and then when the new version launches after Beta you will get another 1 months free trial of the new version of the game.

The PS3 price has been revealed as $39.00 so much cheaper than normal PS3 games. If they release a new PC version of the game i would imagine it will be in or around the same price.

Iv compiled all the latest information from new gameplay footage of the new game, new interviews and new screenshots and concept art images.

Teaser Website:

http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/

Videos

FFXIV: ARR trailer -

Gamescom 2012 HD 2.0 Gameplay -

Latest Information/Interviews (Gamescom 2012):

JPGames 8/17/2012
    4Gamer 8/16/2012

Unfortunately SE are terrible at releasing HQ screenshots so your left with this compressed grainy finish. Also bear in mind this is not being run on a PC with maxed out settings and it is also pre alpha. The gameplay footage speaks for itself.

Screenshots

5DTYY.jpg
    InrdU.jpg
    0beRp.jpg
    578SK.jpg
    NWlMJ.jpg
    ob0dr.jpg
    c6kAW.jpg

Concept Art:

IBfrv.jpg
    kTiD6.jpg
    WrNTK.jpg
    ywYfA.jpg
    DO4PM.jpg
    tX3K9.jpg
    w9UOo.jpg
    5NgOV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

New interface looks great - reminds me of a suggested interface mod for FFXI that was doing the rounds a few years ago. I'll see if I can find a ss.

I haven't really followed the numbered FF series after 8 to be perfectly honest. Well not including 11 which took up 90% of my gaming time from 2005-2010 :)

But from what im hearing the guy who created and worked on the UI from FF12 was brought in specifically for this. Apparently people loved that UI so thats the reason why. It does look crisp and clean. I love the fact that it is drag and drop and it is fully interactive using the mouse. XI was terrible for this. Also in the gameplay trailer you can see that you can freely move around the whole UI and lock it in place etc.

This above to the jumping and alot of other minor things really show how much SE have changed their opinion on this. You know yourself from XI how protective they were of their game and allowing people to customize and change it up. To now with them allowing all of this to also supporting community made mods and add-ons for the future.

Just hope people give this game a good shot and that SE and the development team listen this time around to Alpha / Beta feedback and they dont rush release it. You dont ever see MMOs be completely rebuilt for a second chance.

• Advertisement

ArthurG wrote: »
    New interface looks great - reminds me of a suggested interface mod for FFXI that was doing the rounds a few years ago. I'll see if I can find a ss.

What did you think of the gameplay? Have you played FFXIV?

MarkJD wrote: »
    What did you think of the gameplay? Have you played FFXIV?

Gameplay of FFXIV? I tried it at the last Beta just before launch, and thought it was excrutiatingly bad. Held off for buying the thing to see what people thought after launch, and well, as you can imagine I didn't bother buying it.

I was very dissapointed, as I'd played FFXI for 4 years or so, and had a blast, although having progressed to WoW (post LoTRO), I could never go back to FFXI again, the thoughts of spending hours waiting for an NM to pop, or getting wiped in Dynamis and waiting 15 mins for everyone to res makes me slightly ill. I know its changed a lot in the interim, but I just couldn't do it.

Anyway, I'm waiting with baited breath for GW2, but FF has a special palce in my heart, and I'm sure i'll give this a blast when its re-released.

ArthurG wrote: »
    Gameplay of FFXIV? I tried it at the last Beta just before launch, and thought it was excrutiatingly bad. Held off for buying the thing to see what people thought after launch, and well, as you can imagine I didn't bother buying it.

I was very dissapointed, as I'd played FFXI for 4 years or so, and had a blast, although having progressed to WoW (post LoTRO), I could never go back to FFXI again, the thoughts of spending hours waiting for an NM to pop, or getting wiped in Dynamis and waiting 15 mins for everyone to res makes me slightly ill. I know its changed a lot in the interim, but I just couldn't do it.

Anyway, I'm waiting with baited breath for GW2, but FF has a special palce in my heart, and I'm sure i'll give this a blast when its re-released.

I meant more the gameplay footage from Gamescon 2012. I put up a video above not sure if you seen it?

I played in the GW2 Beta and while it has a lot to offer and seems to have a great development team behind it i just didnt like the gameplay. Dont like all the different weapons each class can use and the changing them up constantly for timers. Felt it was very DPS orientated for whoever can press the buttons the fastest? Maybe i just have the wrong impression though.

The footage looks great - the UI is a massive (and much needed) improvement. Graphics are fab looking, and combat looks nice and fast. That Dragonfire Dive looks amazing. Looks really smooth too, interesting to see what hardware its running on (not sure if its mentioned in there, I may have missed it), but its very smooth.

I didn't watch the whole thing as I'm in work, will check it out at home tonight.

FFXIV 1.0 goes offline today with a final character save taking place at 9pm GMT.

I believe servers will be online from tomorrow but nothing will be saved so kind of pointless. Alpha has started for A Realm Rebord (FFXIV v2.0) in Japan only and will last about 1 month with NA & EU joining in the coming weeks.

Then there will be a BETA period which should be a proper Beta and all bugs / issues resolved etc hopefully. Expecting 2.0 to come online maybe around Jan / Feb if things progress well.

If you bought the original FFXIV then you can download and try the new version for free. Looking forward to it!

Anyone else gonna give this a second chance?

Up to 8 weeks ago I definitely would have said yes, but post GW2 (well not really post, it's still current), I'm not sure if I could go back to grinding levels out, kill collect quests and all that.

I'm pretty sure it'll be wait and see. Then again some of my old buddies from FFXI are planning on taking it up again, so I might....... but I'm far too casual these days I think.

In that regard i think / hope they have really taken the casual approach for exp and progress within the game rather than the old mentality of grinding and hours of work needed... Now this is yet to be seen so i guess its kind of watch this space but they really want to appeal to the casual player base so that they are not left behind from the hardcore people that play 10+ hours a day...

If anything iv seen and read over the last months i think they are moving this way, apparently you will progress level wise with the main story etc.

I guess lets wait and see :)

How is GW2? I have it, installed / updated character made and only done 1 quest. Havnt really had the drive to level up etc. Is there still alot of people playing and what not?

Check out the GW2 thread for lots of opinions on the game.......

Personally I only just dinged 80 (did I mention casual??), so it took me almost 2 months (albeit with a few weeks in between travelling for work when I wasn't playing). I also just hit max crafting for 2 skills. Keen players levelled in a week to 80 (or even faster in some cases).

What I haven't ran into yet (and am likely to soon I guess), is that once you hit 80, it becomes a PVP game. There's not a vast amount of PVE to continue with once your max out your level.

I'm not giving up yet though, I love the gameplay dynamic, graphics and so on. I'm still doing my personal story and want to finish that off, as well as explore some more parts of the world. But thats what makes it for me, I can dip in and out.

You can't examine people or anything when you go into a dungeon, there's no DPS meters, so you don't get that awful "LFM for XXXXX, meet at town centre for gear, gem and enchant inspections" that you see in WOW.

Whether or not this turns out to be a strength or not in the long term remains to be seen....... I hope it works out.

So the final save was done on the 1st and they left the servers up a few days for an end of world event and gave out free weapons etc. Just released the final trailer today. Anyone familiar with the NPCs or the story / lore should enjoy it. Pretty impressive CGI but thats never been SE's problem.

Alpha is ongoing at preset for A Realm Reborn in Japan only looking like EU / Global should be rolled out by the end of November but the Beta not starting until Jan so a good bit away until release.

Play it on High Res + Full Screen!

Pretty epic allright. Say what you will about SE, but they sure know how to do this kinda thing, I had a tear in my eye at the end :o

Anyway, I'll probably skip beta, and give it a shot whenever it appears.

• Advertisement

Yea there were some many tears shed! :) haha.. The song from it is below its from one of the Distant Worlds Concerts..

If you had an account at some stage you should sign up for Alpha / Beta anyways ill gladly take your login if you get accepted! Cant wait to have a play around with it!

Hmm, I remember the first road maps had V2.0 put at end of 2012, the next one kinda had from Dec2012-Feb2013 highlighted as the time frame. As of right now sources pointing towards a mid 2013 launch :/ Guess Id rather it wasnt rushed - hopefully it'll be worth the wait.

Nice performance above ^

And as nice as the CGI is, thats never been an issue from SE. Was annoyed when the first clips of ARR were coming out and it was all CGI -_- Thats not going to sell me on 2.0. The little bit of gameplay footage Ive seen looked nice, they do make sure you know they've added jumping! Still, a nice song, new clips and a fresh lick of paint are far from being enough to transform this game. I know tons of other things have/are being done. Cautiously hoping for the best...

Yea im the same believe me. SE have always had the CGI / Story and CS areas well done.

All the Alpha stuff is under NDA right now and they seem to be punishing heavily for people breaking it (those they can track down) i didnt get selected myself but more invites go out tomorrow i think.

Im not sure if we are allowed post links to other sites but if you just google FFXIV Reddit - you will be taken to the subredit for the game lots of NDA broken leaked Alpha info and screenshots and some videos.

Overall impressions are very well received right now with major complaints being around animation and some ghosting / skating like movement but they have been told its only in the Alpha and the Beta will resolve that.

Seems alot of people that left the game early on from 1.0 are being invited to the Alpha and are posting in its favour. I think it will be more WoW centric with a FF feel to it in terms of graphics / story. Time will tell but definitely liking the look of it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

got into the beta today w00p :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Been in beta for a few weeks.
    At first it really interested me and I was enjoying it but I kinda drifted away from it. Not even sure of the reason. It just didn't grip me.

I'll probably give it another go as I still have access. See what improvements they've made over the last few weeks.

Phase 3 will start mid June and there will be a whole load more stuff for people to do and test out. All the starting zones will be open and all classes will be available.

Looking forward to it. Been playing some Neverwinter and its ok now but dont think it will hold me much more than a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sulc84

no luck getting beta code .. will try benchmark on my PC

Played a couple of hours of Beta during phase 2, not enough to really say whether Im going to love it, but its certainly improved.

Getting my jap rpg fix from Persona 4 golden! Not usually taken by turn based things, but this game is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shaneoh

Hey guys, 1.0 player here! Played from May '11 till servers shut down. Can't wait till Phase 3! Game feels totally different to 1.xx so will be interested to see how my own character feels! Hopefully they give is one high level dungeon in Phase 3 but not expecting it till launch.

Hope to see you all in game at some point!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Advertisement