Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 14 (FFXIV)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Didn't play any other phase, only this weekends test. Have to say it's a very fluid game and I enjoyed it a lot. It also ran really smooth with over 100 FPS in-game with solid graphics (for a BETA). Game has great potential and the opening CGI was nothing short of spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I played this for about 1 hour and the whole time i was in the starting area trying to fix the "micro-stutter" i was getting. Every so often i would get what seemed like framedrops but my FPS didnt drop at all. Even if i ran in a circle so it wasn't loading new NPC/Enviroment. Also have an SSD The only way i could fix it was to unlock frames, but they went all over the place from 100 to 30 and it was similiar to stutter. Pretty small annoyance but performance is number 1 for me. Id rather play a smooth game than a goodlooking one.

Also the AA in this game is so ****ing bad. Kinda upset cause i really wanted to play as a Dragoon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

I played this for about 1 hour and the whole time i was in the starting area trying to fix the "micro-stutter" i was getting. Every so often i would get what seemed like framedrops but my FPS didnt drop at all. Even if i ran in a circle so it wasn't loading new NPC/Enviroment. Also have an SSD The only way i could fix it was to unlock frames, but they went all over the place from 100 to 30 and it was similiar to stutter. Pretty small annoyance but performance is number 1 for me. Id rather play a smooth game than a goodlooking one.

Also the AA in this game is so ****ing bad. Kinda upset cause i really wanted to play as a Dragoon :(

First time iv heard this from anyone so more than likely on your end and not the game itself. Are you running SLI or anything because that is confirmed as not working until release. Also if you were running the game in windowed mode it was shutting off the AA completely.

Maybe make a post on the reddit probably get a fix or results pretty quickly. New test this weekend. Same time frame!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

So I caved and got a beta key to keep a friend happy so going to be trying it this weekend. Is there anywhere I can get more info on the classes or jobs other than the official site? They have practically no info bar showing what weapons each class will use and I'd like something a bit more in depth before I commit to one!

Also what's the difference between a job and a class? I can see lancer listed as a job but dragoon listed as a class. They both use polearms so what exactly is the difference?

• Advertisement

Big Knox wrote: »
    So I caved and got a beta key to keep a friend happy so going to be trying it this weekend. Is there anywhere I can get more info on the classes or jobs other than the official site? They have practically no info bar showing what weapons each class will use and I'd like something a bit more in depth before I commit to one!

Unfortunately because the game is still in Beta most information websites wont have all the updated information for A Realm Reborn. Most will have all the gear and abilities from FFXIV v1.0 which the majority has changed now in terms of stats and most of the abilities have changed.

Try some of the below:

http://xivdb.com/ - Maybe the only currently running of mostly ARR stuff as some has been datamined

http://mooglebox.com/ - This was one of the favourite DB and info sites for 1.0 not sure it has been updated.

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/ - Wiki for FFXIV.
    Also what's the difference between a job and a class? I can see lancer listed as a job but dragoon listed as a class. They both use polearms so what exactly is the difference?

Essentially classes are the base skill tree. You will learn most of your base abilities and skills through the class. You can cross swap multiple skills and abilities from others classes so they make for really good solo situations or when you might want everyone to have their own cure etc for a particular dungeon or monster. Not all the skills can be used with other classes but the most can.

You would want to level some particular classes passed a certain level so you can get some skills. For example a Conjurer will learn cure so you probably want to be able to use that when leveling Lancer for soloing. Same as some critical hit enhance ability from Archer as well. There are many others but that is the basics.

Jobs on the other hand are specific specializations of each class. They are normally a combination of two classes and you are limited to those base skills and then you unlock advanced abilities only for those jobs every 5 levels from level 30 > 50.

So for example say you level Conjurer all the way to 50. You now want to unlock Whitemage, well the requirement is to have Conjurer at at least lv 30 and Puglist at lvl 15 so you may need to unlock Puglist and level to 15. Because your Conjurer is already 50 once you unlock Whitemage (through a quest) you will be a level 50 Whitemage. You dont re level it back up. What you dont have is those unique abilities and skills for whitemage. So you have to go do quests for 30,35,40,45,50.

Feel free to ask more questions will be happy to help. If you guys have headsets i can give out a Teamspeak info later and would be happy to help anyone.

Also meant to say to you that Lancer is the class and Dragoon is the Job :)

Ok mate thanks for the info, I think I have a good grasp of the system now. I'll just jump in and check it out later, I'll start with Lancer and see how I get on from there! :)

Hey guys. I know there's a few people here who are disappointed they haven't had a chance to play in the BETA. I simply don't have time to test this game at weekends as well as play RIFT so if anyone wants to play on my account you're more than welcome.

Just PM me here.

• Advertisement

Gave it a go for 2 or 3 hours and got to level 14. Very surprised to be honest I was expecting much less. The game looks amazing, probably the best looking MMO out there at the moment and by a long way. Runs well and is overall very polished.

The big problem however is the combat. It's so badly dated. Every class seems to just stand on the spot and hit a rotation of 2 or so skills. Obviously higher levels will help this but from anyone I've spoken too it doesn't get much better which is a pity.

Anyway I'll stick with it for now and see how it goes. It has a lot of good qualities for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shaneoh

Me and my fellow LS mates have decided on our server. We are moving to Sagrantas (or however it is spelled). Hopefully some of you are already on there or are thinking of moving there! If so, looking forward to playing with some Irish folk :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Any ps3 players in here?whats a good server to play on ?

By the way I'm guessing the PS3 and PC servers are separate? It would be cool if they made them cross platform!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I installed the beta last night but was down maintainance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I installed the beta last night but was down maintainance?

Beta weekend is Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon or thereabouts. You can't get in now.

The beta is only available at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

By the way I'm guessing the PS3 and PC servers are separate? It would be cool if they made them cross platform!

Oh I'd assumed it was cross platform, like FFXI was. Separating out the servers makes no sense from a population perspective, but may be they are.....

ArthurG wrote: »
    Beta weekend is Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon or thereabouts. You can't get in now.
    The beta is only available at weekends.

Haha that explains that then :D,until friday then :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

ArthurG wrote: »
    Oh I'd assumed it was cross platform, like FFXI was. Separating out the servers makes no sense from a population perspective, but may be they are.....

From what I remember, Square said it would be cross platform alright.

I have beta for both PC and PS3 at the moment.. Must log into the PS3 version and see if my characters are available...

• Advertisement

Finally started this last night on ps3,any tips for a newbie?

So the game is cross platform same worlds on the PS3 and the PC.

The starting area is depending on your class. Id suggest maybe an Uldah class or Grid instead of Limsa. You are going to need Cure at some stage maybe best getting Conjurer (Healer class to at least lvl 10 so you can then unlock other classes / crafting / gathering.

Id suggest people get through the main story as much as possible. You will get an Airship pass at lvl 15 after the main story quest and will allow you to travel between cities pretty quickly.

This wont be an action MMORPG like TERA / GW2 etc. Its not FF style or approach. They have added elements of movement from monster AOE abilities and then certain classes need to be in certain positions to perform combos / moves etc. I personally prefer that type i dont like action MMOs but thats just my preference. I wouldnt call it dated myself but each to their own.

Im currently on Durandal because im a Legacy 1.0 player but will be moving to Excalibur once the game launches. Id suggest people do as many Fates / Dungeons as you level.

Can't wait to play again,roll on friday.

Only thing i want to try out is Duty finder at this stage then roll on phase 4!

I came across this post and found it well structured and made some good points. I cant comment on SWTOR or to a later extent in GW2 (Only got to level 30 before getting bored) and by no means is FFXIV ARR out of the woods as there is still much content that needs to be assessed in terms of end game and rewards etc but I think the dev team have done a fantastic job in turning this game around... The complete pile of horse ****e that this was when it was first released was an embarrassment! Im just hoping this game gets the community and subscriptions it needs to survive!

Innovation: Biggest Con In Recent MMOs
    SWTOR said it was the next WoW killer by bringing in "story" that was fully voiced, "never before seen or heard in mmos." However, they forgot to spend money on their engine. The realized that fully voice acting everything makes their content patches every 6 months. They had no endgame at release and all of their promised list of features never came to pass. People reached end game, saw that it was a shalow version of Wow with 1/100th of the content.

Rift. An excellent game initially that lasted in the P2P cycle for two years. They built the entire game around this "unique" concept of "rifts"that changed and became increasingly more difficult depending on the number of players in the area. The questing was Hub based, where you literally go from hub to hub. No variety, no depth, horrible writing. The story was shallow and none existent. The graphics were mediocre at best and did not have the means to actually become better later. The skill trees were carbon copies (conceptually) of wow skill trees. Many of the talents in the trees were identical to other talents. Long story short, Rift offer the appearance of depth but was very shallow. The combat/macro system allowed you to combine 6 abilities into a single marcro based on a priority system, completely dumbing down the combat wre you literally spammed abilities. To its credit, Rift had amazing PvE encounters but was not enough to sustain the game because WoW offered the same with better other systems in place.

GW2, promised to "revolutionize" the mmo by getting rid of quest hubs in favor of "dynamic events." The game would get rid of the holy trinity where you were no longer relegated to a specific role. It would also revolutionize the mmo industry by getting rid of the "carrot on a stick" and "hamster wheel progression by offering purely cosmetic rewards with no end game raiding to speak of. What it offered instead was a very wonderful leveling experience, however (imho) story was shallow and weak. People reached lvl 80 and realized that the combat they learned at lvl 10 was essentially the same at lvl 80. The mechanics at lvl 30 dungeons were identical to lvl 80. You could Combo blasts and combo field at lvl 10 just as you could at lvl 80. Since there was no party defined roles, every single class was healer, dps, and tank in one. What that meant was that people were pigeonholed into Vitality builds, where the goal was to be part of one big cluster Fu@# where all you did was dodge red circles on the ground while you ran around like a chicken with your head cut off.

Realizing that people were leaving the game because there was nothing to work towards. GW2/Arena net went back on its word and introduced ASCENDED gear which became a form of tiered progression. People also realized by playing this "awesomely unique" game, that they actually preferred games with the holy trinity and the "promise to revolutionize" the genre with "no holy trinity," actually turned out to be an unsustainable gimmick.

FFXIV. Doesn't promise to revolutionize anything. Instead, the producer (YoshiP) says that this game will be polished and refined in all of the systems in place. IT will, like Wow, take existing systems in other mmos and make it better. Since I can only speak for myself.... the music is the best in any mmo i've played. The story quests and side quests are some of the best writing I've ever read in an mmo to the point where I actually want ot take my time leveling. The world feels alive. Npc do random things.

Unlike SWTOR the engine runs flawlessly on newer and older systems. Unlike Rift, the graphics are on par with any mmo released in history. Unlike GW2, you get "dynamic events" in addition to tiered raiding and the holy trinity with the classic FF universe classes/jobs. Unlike SWtor, we know there will be at least two raids by release or within 3 months of release. Unlike Rift, you don't have a gimmick where within 4 months the beginning zones will be empty. FFXIV is designed for you to level multiple classes on a single character. AFter your first couple of classes, quests dry up and you have to take part in FATES/LEVES which take place in the field. The zones will never be empty and fill up everytime a new class is introduced.

COMBAT: Oh yes, the Elephant in the room. Please compare the first 30 levels in Wow to what the combat is like end game and during raids. It starts simple and gets progressively harder. Just like WoW, it designed to be very easy and simple, but grow more complicated as you level. On my lvl 50 Warrior, I have 30+ abilities to juggle on a priority system. Half of them off the GCD and half on the GCD, which means you're using skills in between the GCD. Not only do the big red circles on the ground cause you to move, but certain class abilities require positioning for attacks. Accordingly, the "dumbed down" and "slow combat" that people who only got to lvl 8 complain of, is no where to be found at lvl 50 and it surely wont' be found in raiding.

FFXIV is not God's gift to MMOs, but people are downplaying aspects of the game that are better than any other mmo before it. For some, music, writing, polish, story, a live world and freedom to be anything and everything on one character is well worth the price of admission. Some of us take immense pride in supporting YoshiP through the bad times and are happy to support a company that doesn't treat us like the way F2P companies treat their customers. You go pay $5 for your extra bag slots and gated content. I'll pick which subligar I want to wear from my armory chest.

He makes some fair points I guess but the whole thing stinks of desperation also. FFXIV's quests are generic at best, nothing new at all and the combat is extremely dated and badly designed. You can tell it's been designed to make the combat playable on the PS3 with extremely limited buttons available and this doesn't transfer well onto the PC.

The game looks amazing and the music is decent as far as MMO's go but nothing to write home about. The world is well crafted with care and great attention to detail and some of the mobs are fantastic in looks and design but gameplay is king unfortunately and this is where most of the problems come from. It offers nothing new, and has combat akin to the original EverQuest which is now 14 years old which really won't won't cut it in the long run unfortunately.

The game has enough to keep FF fans happy however, especially PS3 players and I'm sure it will maintain a small but active playerbase once the dust settles. In this day and age however, for a game to command a subscription it better be damn impressive and have a massive amount of content and depth straight out the door which this really doesn't.

Yep all very true. Im not the biggest fan of quest grinding kind of why i never got into WoW in a big way but now that i have even more limited playtime than when i was younger i can see it has its merits. I guess from outset they never intended on re-inventing the wheel. Their aim was to rebuild the game to today's standards and take good ideas from previous titles and make them stable or better. I suppose FATEs and early dungeons is where they are trying to be different from a low level perspective. I find the variety of the random in world events to be way more than say GW2 for example.

The combat is one of those things you either like action orientated or you don't. I dont see it as dated i just see it as that is the particular style i like. If i want action ill pick up my FPS titles and get my rush from them. It will be interesting to see how well the implement some of the dungeon mechanics as that is where they can pick up some of the slack.

I agree with you on the PS3 comments though as many aspects of the game has had to be downgraded / leveled off to suit the PS3 which is donkeys old at this stage, with that though i feel they have done a good job to get it to where its at given all the PS3 limitations etc.

Im by no means a big FF fan iv played 7/8 and then played 11 but beyond that i have no loyalty to FF. I just want a MMORPG i can spend some time playing when it suits me. Nothing has held my interest so it will be good to see if this can at the later levels. Maybe the age of a full on MMORPG are gone? Nothing seems to strive beyond 6-14 months at this stage.

In saying that it could just be the huge WoW community are waiting for Blizzards next title before moving off.

Developer Video on the Duty finder. Pretty standard but good for what it is i guess. I like that you can create half a party and look for the rest or have someone join if someone quickly leaves your party.

New exploration video released today. Shows off some of the new higher level zones... They look absolutely amazing if you compare it to 1.0!

Wish I had more time put into this game. Really enjoyed the little time I've had to test it out :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

Just pre ordered the digital ce on square enix store.
    First time playing playing this,was not in any of the previous beta.
    Is there anywhere i can download the client(20gb?) or do i need to wait for phase 4 to start?
    Cheers.

Advertisement