Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever changed jobs while being sponsored?

Options
  • 06-07-2010 6:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Just trying to see now practical this would be as I would really like to try and find a better job that’s a bit closer to where I live.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Doc wrote: »
    Just trying to see now practical this would be as I would really like to try and find a better job that’s a bit closer to where I live.

I know 2 people who tried
    1 was a nightmare who gave up as was told irt will take 6 weeks (as the company never sponsored someone before)

another took 2weeks I think, that was a large company to another large company

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

hussey wrote: »
    I know 2 people who tried
    1 was a nightmare who gave up as was told irt will take 6 weeks (as the company never sponsored someone before)

another took 2weeks I think, that was a large company to another large company

Thanks Hussey, do you know if they were head hunted or went to interviews looking for the new job?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

I'm currently working for the company I originally got sponsored through (in Qld), but I heard of another job opportunity in WA.

At first I didnt think I would take the job but arranged to have an interview over the phone anyway. Long story short, they offered me the job and I'm moving over there in September.

They have agreed to take over the sponsorship, and as they have more sponsored people already on the books they seem to think this will be straightforward. They use a consultant for all their visa stuff.

If you're thinking of leaving, apply for jobs listing a 457 visa on your CV, then during the interview process, when you think theyre already interested in offering you a job, just get it written in as part of your terms.

One thing you should look out for is whether there's anything written into your contract stipulating that you have to repay all expenses if you leave before a certain timeframe (usually 2 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

NBTD wrote: »
    One thing you should look out for is whether there's anything written into your contract stipulating that you have to repay all expenses if you leave before a certain timeframe (usually 2 years).

My company hasn’t even given me a new contract since my last 6 month one ran out so technically (if not morally) I can just not come in tomorrow if I got offered a new job. Of course this works the other way too and they could say to me not to come in anymore but knowing this company the way I do the reason they haven’t done it is because they don’t even realize that I’m out of contract they are snowed under with work here but its not what I want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Doc wrote: »
    Thanks Hussey, do you know if they were head hunted or went to interviews looking for the new job?

One friend arranged a 'chat' with his mate and a recruiter and they went from there

• Advertisement
Advertisement