Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chorizo/salami/cured meats

Options
  • 06-07-2010 7:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hey guys tell me your favorite chorizo/salami/cured meats types and brands.

Munching on sols chorizo at the moment, dunno what it is but its so nice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I think Sol chorizo is prob the best you can get in the regular shops over here. The sliced chorizo from Aldi is also excellent, it's presented in a round packet. Generally Aldi & Lidl are good for salamis and other cured meats.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Gubeen Salimis are good - particularly their Chorizo and Salsichon.

I get a French Saucisson in The Pigs Back in the English Market in Cork. It has a red, yellow and white label that just says 'Saucisson Pur Porc'. It comes in a big coil which is cut to order.
    This is my perfect Saucisson for texture, flavour, everything. Cheap too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Rud Annamh

Sol, Dunnes, Aldi and Lidl brand chorizos and Serrano / Parma hams are OK - good price / quality, but mediocre. Like all cured meats, they taste way better if they are left 30-40 mins at room temperature and opened about 10 mins before eating.

But the best I've found in Ireland is the Superquinn Iberico selection - in black / dark paper packaging. Pricier, but really lovely. :P

If you're visiting Spain and are bringing stuff back (and you've loadsa money) try Jabugo - it literally melts in your mouth. Best Spanish jamon is http://www.cincojotas.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I love the kabanosi (spelling?) in lidl at the moment. You can get mini ones which are perfect for snacks..

I don't like presliced chorizo (not sure why) so I always get the big chunky sausage from Lidl. Serano ham is also a favourite from Lidl. Tastes like parma but cheaper.

I havn't found anywhere better to buy from TBH.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 pr0

Got some chorizo at the deli counter in tesco , sliced up in a few seconds by the girl and damn fine by my standards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dacookie

Rud Annamh wrote: »
    Sol, Dunnes, Aldi and Lidl brand chorizos and Serrano / Parma hams are OK - good price / quality, but mediocre. Like all cured meats, they taste way better if they are left 30-40 mins at room temperature and opened about 10 mins before eating. Yeh I noticed that recently

But the best I've found in Ireland is the Superquinn Iberico selection - in black / dark paper packaging. Pricier, but really lovely. :P

If you're visiting Spain and are bringing stuff back (and you've loadsa money) try Jabugo - it literally melts in your mouth. Best Spanish jamon is http://www.cincojotas.com/

Yup im goin barcelona soon :D

Will try for sure, Spain the best place for stuff like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Went to Madrid a couple of years ago and brought home a couple of rings of chorizo, a ring of morcilla (Spanish black pudding) and a couple of blocks of manchego cheese. I threw them into the checked-in bag and there was no problem, they were vacuum packed anyway. The chorizo was amazing! Tis a surprise we didn't turn into pigs from eating so much chorizo when we were over there.:D

Advertisement