Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you play sitting down or standing up?

Options
  • 06-07-2010 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

I have been struggling with this for sometime. I play sitting down most of the time, but bought a guitar strap on a whim and when I tried to play standing up I couldn't!! Struming chords was ok, fingerpicking was out completely.
    Has anyone else tried changing?, do both? Any tips?
    I play only acoustic guitar, which doesn't seem so bad playing sitting down, but for some reason I seem to think electirc should only be played standing up!!!?
    regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

just different positioning from what your used too really, mabe your straps too low!? electrics are a bit easier standing up since they're thinner, but shudnt be too different

theres a coolness factor vs. an ease of playing factor that you just gota find a happy medium for yourself inbetween i guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I was watching a video interview with Slash recently and he was saying that when he practices he'll stand up for the last hour or so because it's different to playing sitting down. Makes sense when you think about it.

Just adjust your strap so that the guitar is at the same height when you're standing as when you're sitting down.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

I've recently moved on to trying to play electric after a year of acoustic (which i always play sitting down) I'm finding it extremely difficult to get my hand to reach round the neck to play..its killing my wrist and if i tighten the strap anymore the guitar will be up at my neck....I already look like an 60's beatle:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

All it takes is some getting use to and a bit of practice. I play electric and started out playing sitting, but just forced myself to be comfortable standing up. It feels a bit weird at first but I think that it is a much more satisfying experience playing standing rather than sitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

ttoppcat wrote: »
    I've recently moved on to trying to play electric after a year of acoustic (which i always play sitting down) I'm finding it extremely difficult to get my hand to reach round the neck to play..its killing my wrist and if i tighten the strap anymore the guitar will be up at my neck....I already look like an 60's beatle:D

You could try adjusting the guitar so that the neck is at more of an upright angle, if that makes sense.

More like this:
    mcswain_slash.jpg

As opposed to this:
    james_hetfield_5239711.jpg

Should make it make it easier to reach round the neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rgjmce

I've actually gotten into a bit of a habit of sitting down while playing pretty much since I got my les paul but after getting a tele, I'm trying to get back into a habit of standing up playing electric. My problem is at the moment I'm playing nothing but acoustic gigs, in which I sit down for but as the guys said above, it just takes a bit of getting used to and of course adjust the strap so it's comfortable for you, screw hetfield and his wish to play hunched over, that will f*** up your back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭K.Hammett

Ive gotten into such a habit of practicing sitting down that i really found it difficult to adjust to playing standing up. Ive started to get the hang of it in the last month or so. I began by adjusting the strap so the the guitar was higher up and after every 3 or 4 days letting it down a little so i dont look like im part of a 60s rock band.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

K.Hammett wrote: »
    Ive gotten into such a habit of practicing sitting down that i really found it difficult to adjust to playing standing up. Ive started to get the hang of it in the last month or so. I began by adjusting the strap so the the guitar was higher up and after every 3 or 4 days letting it down a little so i dont look like im part of a 60s rock band.:)

Kirk? Is that you?

If so then you're not really qualified to offer advice to guitarists, are you? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

I need to get one of those straps that goes on both shoulders. Anyone know where to get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rgjmce

Paolo_M wrote: »
    Kirk? Is that you?

If so then you're not really qualified to offer advice to guitarists, are you? :p

laughed so hard this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭K.Hammett

Paolo_M wrote: »
    Kirk? Is that you?

We all have to start somewhere i suppose.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

strobe wrote: »
    You could try adjusting the guitar so that the neck is at more of an upright angle, if that makes sense.

More like this:
    mcswain_slash.jpg

As opposed to this:
    james_hetfield_5239711.jpg

Should make it make it easier to reach round the neck.

Cheers strobe, will give that a try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Sandvich wrote: »
    I need to get one of those straps that goes on both shoulders. Anyone know where to get one?

Thomann do them.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/planet_waves_50dare000_gitarrengurt.htm?sid=c6021e28b448b89d56d0647e421b9847

I bought one but haven't used it in a while, can't remember if it helped or not. Will have to take it out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Just wear it at the same height as when sitting down as mentioned earlier in the thread. Playing it too low on your body causes some of your muscles to tense up which leads to bad playing....oh, and sore muscles. Anyone who plays with the guitar around their knees to get the effect of coolness needs a labotomy...and probably some surgery on their spine by the time they hit 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

IMHO you should position the guitar so that your wrists are as straight as possible when playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Bending your wrists inwards is really bad for them. They should be bent upwards slightly at all times if possible.

This is why I had to quit playing my 7 string. Might get a Baritone instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I play in either position depending on what I'm doing. If I'm writing, recording or trying to learn a song I'll sit down to ensure the fingering is as precise as possible. If I'm just jamming along to a song or playing something I know quite well I'll usually stand up as that way I can get into the music a bit more (and I can practice my posing ;)).
    Sandvich wrote:
    Bending your wrists inwards is really bad for them. They should be bent upwards slightly at all times if possible.

This is why I had to quit playing my 7 string.
    Was that down to the width of the neck? Also, what's the difference between bending your wrist upwards rather than inwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Puts more strain on the joint, i had tendonitis on my fretting hand wrist for about a year or 2, its a bitch to shift off, even considered quiting it got that bad

its harder to heal than bones when you **** up your tendons, look after your wrists fellas... then i fcked up my index finger on my picking hand last year, not much luck there, but i seem to have gotten over it lately, doesnt really effect my playing

playing sitting down and standing up are two different things unless u play standing up with the guitar in the exact same position as you do sitting down, but it will look a bit naff... gotta find a nice compromise between the two

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I play sitting down all the time. usually just practising at home so no need to stand up and just sit and play. Hopefully getting electric soon which i would imagine will be standing playing as the acoustic is easier playing sitting down due to its size.

Advertisement