Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Shotgun

Options
  • 06-07-2010 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

I am looking into getting a shotgun - later in the year. I have never owned one before. I do have a .22 and .223 rifle. I know there are a lot of different makes & models out there. Purpose for owning one would be clay & game shooting.;)

- Any recommendations for types etc
    - What kind of budget do I need to consider for the gun & gear

Cheers, Thomas :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

There are some very good opinions when it comes to shotguns on here ( my particular taste rules me out ) but im sure if you answer a few more questions it will make there job easier.....

Do you know if you want an O/U, S/S or semi ?

more importanly....

:DWhats your budget ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

There are some very good opinions when it comes to shotguns on here ( my particular taste rules me out ) but im sure if you answer a few more questions it will make there job easier.....

Do you know if you want an O/U, S/S or semi ?

more importanly....

:DWhats your budget ?:D

I am open to suggestions - as I don't have too much experience of what's out there. What comes to budget - it will be restricted by the wife :eek: but I am saving and hope to have between 500-1000 available by the end of the year? Not too much I know, If not enough, I will save a bit longer and get the SG later :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

I am open to suggestions - as I don't have too much experience of what's out there. What comes to budget - it will be restricted by the wife :eek: but I am saving and hope to have between 500-1000 available by the end of the year? Not too much I know, If not enough, I will save a bit longer and get the SG later :(

I dont agree in spending massive amounts on a shotty as nine times out off ten it will be dragged around a field. Buy something now for a couple of hundred get a season out of it ( this season;) ) and if you really like it trade it next yea and buy something fancy.
    Just my thoughts..

elius wrote: »
    I dont agree in spending massive amounts on a shotty as nine times out off ten it will be dragged around a field. Buy something now for a couple of hundred get a season out of it ( this season;) ) and if you really like it trade it next yea and buy something fancy.
    Just my thoughts..

Can you get something decent for couple of hundred? I thought they are much more expensive :eek: well have to go to the gun shop to snoop around :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

elius wrote: »
    Just my thoughts..

I'd agree, buy any shotty ~ 450-550 and you are in business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

the country is full of guns go and spend a bit of time and find one that fits you properly, as a rule of thumb you should be able to hold the gun with your hand round the grip and finger on the trigger the stock should nestle against the inside of your elbow, if it does it's not going to be too bad of a fit for lenth for you
    dummy mount the gun a few times and see that its pointing where you are looking, thats important , it's an instinctive firearm so it needs to do this , it's far easier to find a gun that fits you rather than trying to adapt to an ill fitting one

landkeeper wrote: »
    the country is full of guns go and spend a bit of time and find one that fits you properly, as a rule of thumb you should be able to hold the gun with your hand round the grip and finger on the trigger the stock should nestle against the inside of your elbow, if it does it's not going to be too bad of a fit for lenth for you
    dummy mount the gun a few times and see that its pointing where you are looking, thats important , it's an instinctive firearm so it needs to do this , it's far easier to find a gun that fits you rather than trying to adapt to an ill fitting one

Go to laklands in Mu7llingar and you will get to fie a few different shooties might help you decide.

Thats if you can find the Place, on the N52 south of Mullingar

Went to a gun shop today, he had Dan Arms 12g for €330 and a Yildiz for €440, those were the cheapest today. From there on lots of shottys available for a higher price. The Dan Arms felt fine, was light and in a good condition. I am sure it would be a good starter :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

have a look in clarks in navan nice few over there...

try gun trader

http://irishguntrader.openseason.ie/

you'll get a good idea what something is worth

• Advertisement

I saw that Duffy's in Galway have an offer for Baikal IZH-27 of €600 including some extras - sounds like a good deal? More expensive though...

I saw that Duffy's in Galway have an offer for Baikal IZH-27 of €600 including some extras - sounds like a good deal? More expensive though...

Baikal are as tough as owl'ed boots :D:D

Low resale though.
    You'd get a second hand baikal for 200-300 in excellant condition.
    Category Over and Under

Created 23-06-2009
    Owner kneesliders
    Title BAKIAL
    Description NEW - DOUBLE TRIGGER, NON EJECTOR
    F138
    Private or Gun Dealer Gun Dealer
    Price 500
    County WESTMEATH - MULLINGAR
    Contact DES
    Mobile 087 9740671

Duffy is dear with his. A Baikal is like a Zetor tractor. Hardy but not desirable.
    They do not have removable chokes either, which may become annoying.

Lumar have removable chokes for same money second hand.

Thanks Tac - I will keep looking so - and seen those russian Zetor tractors last time driven in Helsinki by the Leningrad Cowboys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

i bought a baikal a few months back but only thought of it now:eek: filled out the form but never sent it in :rolleyes:,
    from what the guys on here told me they are a beast of a shotgun and will serve you a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭kenneths

i recently bought a yildiz O/U 12g mutlichoke.
    it was new and €575 inc ammo belt, cartridge bag, game bag and a very good gunslip.
    couldn't be happier with it!!!
    and the brother bought one this morning he was so impressed with mine! (his is black so he reckons it'll be better :D:D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Thomas,

The Baikal's have either fixed or interchangeable screw-in chokes, your choice. Sound, sturdy, no frills guns that will get the job done and if need be parts and the know how to repair are readily available. Fixed chokes of 1/4 & 1/2 will get you started.

Landkeeper advice is sound: "the country is full of guns go and spend a bit of time and find one that fits you properly, as a rule of thumb you should be able to hold the gun with your hand round the grip and finger on the trigger the stock should nestle against the inside of your elbow, if it does it's not going to be too bad of a fit for lenth for you
    dummy mount the gun a few times and see that its pointing where you are looking, thats important , it's an instinctive firearm so it needs to do this , it's far easier to find a gun that fits you rather than trying to adapt to an ill fitting one"

you should be able to find a very good gun for a good price now , i myself would rather have a secondhand ferrari than a brand new fiat :D
    i know a lad who picked up an 2nd hand aya no 4 s/s recently for 450 euro all that was wrong was a few scratches on the stock nice gun that would retail at about 3.5k (kinel i just looked on their website !!!!l) as far as i know new
    but fit is more important than price find one that suits you and you'll have it for life if you buy quality

Thanks for the responses - I will check the local & further gun shops for 2nd hand ones first and try to make up my mind ;)

Got a 2nd hand Lanber Game 28" O/U today - mint condition - filled in the application and dropped in the local garda station. Cant wait now to get it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Lanber, hardy shotguns. Heard they are not great for busting clays all day but iv put a couple of hundred cartridges through mine and not a bother. Never had 1 problem with it. Fierce hardy gun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭murphy125

The Lanber is a good gun I have a sporter version
    Good luck with yours
    I use if mine for clays
    The only problem is I find if it rains and your out shooting the inside of the action rust a little

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Got a 2nd hand Lanber Game 28" O/U today - mint condition - filled in the application and dropped in the local garda station. Cant wait now to get it :D

i was looking at one in knocknagoshel on saturday, but it was sold, where did you buy, mind me asking a price

best of luck with it

Courtlough for €600 - like new ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

They are great gun for the price. As someone said here they could use theirs for anything from a gun to a walking stick:D

lanbers are ok a very good friend of mine had one we used to a lot of clay shooting with it 25 years ago in the uk, we used to use the gun between us it also got plenty of use a lot of the summer and autum decoying pigeon it got that loose in the head it had to go but that was after many many thousands of cartridges and about 10 years of hammering but it was agood gun i'd have no worries buying another

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

theres a gun shop down my way and he has a mint BROWNING 525 SELECT{very sure its that model} for 1 k there are guns going very cheap around the country

Advertisement