Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to N20 road could be restored in Limerick city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Fingers crossed that something is done anyway. It's absolutely ludicrous having no road into Limerick there. There is so much more traffic heading down by Greenfields now and that road is just not made to require that load of traffic. The road will be in bits (even more so) by the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Fingers crossed that something is done anyway. It's absolutely ludicrous having no road into Limerick there. There is so much more traffic heading down by Greenfields now and that road is just not made to require that load of traffic. The road will be in bits (even more so) by the end of the year.

What is even funnier is that the traffic is being diverted that way, yet the Greenfields road is due to be closed off to be totally resurfaced, I think around September, so all that diverted traffic (plus the returning school traffic) will have to work it's way through Dooradoyle, causing even more congestion.

The road planners in Limerick generally excel at showing at total lack of planning at the best of times, and a total lack of understanding at what causes congestion.

The turning of William street into a single lane for traffic street will just add to the congestion in town. But I am sure that planners will be claiming that it is an attraction that will have shoppers streaming into the town centre :rolleyes: A town centre that is pretty poor for shopping to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

THe public lobbied to have this road two-way as a temporary measure only, they insisted it be closed after the completion of the tunnell, the nra took this on board, agreed their designs in keeping with the wishes of the public, now when they carry out the wishes of the public they are castigated.

I'm no fan of the NRA of local authorities but it's very hard to put all the blame on them for this one. Maybe this will let the residents see they are not as clever as they think they are.

Kess73 wrote: »
    What is even funnier is that the traffic is being diverted that way, yet the Greenfields road is due to be closed off to be totally resurfaced, I think around September, so all that diverted traffic (plus the returning school traffic) will have to work it's way through Dooradoyle, causing even more congestion.

The road planners in Limerick generally excel at showing at total lack of planning at the best of times, and a total lack of understanding at what causes congestion.

The turning of William street into a single lane for traffic street will just add to the congestion in town. But I am sure that planners will be claiming that it is an attraction that will have shoppers streaming into the town centre :rolleyes: A town centre that is pretty poor for shopping to start with.

Are you serious? What a spectacular shower of clowns we have ruining planning our fair city.

Are you serious? What a spectacular shower of clowns we have ruining planning our fair city.

Yep, it is in the current newsletter from Joe Leddin. The roadworks and the amount of money allocated for it are all mentioned in it.

The William street plans are in the official link that a poster put up in the Sarsfield street closed thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,215 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What a shower of muppets and waste of tax payers money.

They could have done this while the intersection was still being constructed. Instead they now realise what was obviouse to the man on the street and now want to go tear the whole intersection up again. The level of incompetance is absolutely amazing, if these muppets worked for a private company they would be turfed out on the asses long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Even though I agree there should have always been inbound access, I cant help but say tough titty to those residents who opposed the inbound plans!

I really cant see anyway this will go ahead.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Even though I agree there should have always been inbound access, I cant help but say tough titty to those residents who opposed the inbound plans!

I really cant see anyway this will go ahead.

Tough titty to them is a very short sighted view though. It affects far more than the few residents who opposed the inbound plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Cllr. Ger Fahy a Fine Gael Politician who spent time and effort ignoring real issues in favour of lobbying the World at large to have the road closed in the first place is now spending time and effort and ignoring all of our current real issues in order to reverse the situation he has actually created, while proudly proclaiming that he has somehow discovered €7,000,000 in spare change to make it all happen??????????????????

- God help us all if we have an incoming Fine Gael Government; We've seen what they can do for Limerick and its like they are just learning to be the next Fianna Fail - Only difference is that their stupidity and failures are more clumsy and less practised than Cowen and Co.s due to their having been in vacuous opposition for the past 900 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Raiser wrote: »
    - God help us all if we have an incoming Fine Gael Government; We've seen what they can do for Limerick and its like they are just learning to be the next Fianna Fail - Only difference is that their stupidity and failures are more clumsy and less practised than Cowen and Co.s due to their having been in vacuous opposition for the past 900 years.

Ah but they haven't been jailed or hauled before a tribunal yet, so they're perfect! :P

It's a bad state of affairs when "only" being incompetent is a plus! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    THe public lobbied to have this road two-way as a temporary measure only, they insisted it be closed after the completion of the tunnell, the nra took this on board, agreed their designs in keeping with the wishes of the public, now when they carry out the wishes of the public they are castigated.

I'm no fan of the NRA of local authorities but it's very hard to put all the blame on them for this one. Maybe this will let the residents see they are not as clever as they think they are.

The people of Carew park orginally asked for the road to be a temporary measure due to the fact that it was once a dead end, once the road was operational they found it was actually of great use to them and as the road was kept well away from their homes, the housing association removed there objection to the road been left open...

However in order to change the original plans the NRA would have had to pay a fine to the awarded contractor....this should have been done no matter what the cost, as now the tipperary, dooradoyle and dock roads are going to be worse than ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

It would be great to get this open again, its a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

The way to get there in september will be to continue towards the tunnel, exit at dock road interchange, swing around the rounadabout and back up the other side of the motorway, and back to the rosbrien exit. will add maybe five minutes to the journey time, but would be much better than cutting through greenfields or dooradoyle.

zuroph wrote: »
    The way to get there in september will be to continue towards the tunnel, exit at dock road interchange, swing around the rounadabout and back up the other side of the motorway, and back to the rosbrien exit. will add maybe five minutes to the journey time, but would be much better than cutting through greenfields or dooradoyle.

And what if all the people who need to use the old set up do this at the same time each morning coupled with school traffic? Seems to me that it will cause congestion on that roundabout as the motorists who have to use the Dock road will be meeting all this extra traffic each morning, which could add up to a lot more than five minutes. Throw in trucks, buses and the like and things slow down even further.

Also it will force cars to take longer journeys each way, cost more in pertrol/diesel over time, plus adding more in terms of pollution.

Also when the traffic gets back to the Rosbrien interchange, where do you propose they go? The old route in to Childers road is still going to be closed to ingoing traffic so at that point and after driving that extra distance they can either get back on the M20 again and head back for Dooradoyle or be forced out to the Tipperary flyover.

http://www.limericktunnel.com/RouteMap_RossbrienInterchange.html

RouteMap_RossbrienInterchange.html

And what if all the people who need to use the old set up do this at the same time each morning coupled with school traffic? Seems to me that it will cause congestion on that roundabout as the motorists who have to use the Dock road will be meeting all this extra traffic each morning, which could add up to a lot more than five minutes. Throw in trucks, buses and the like and things slow down even further.

Also it will force cars to take longer journeys each way, cost more in pertrol/diesel over time, plus adding more in terms of pollution.

Also when the traffic gets back to the Rosbrien interchange, where do you propose they go? The old route in to Childers road is still going to be closed to ingoing traffic so at that point and after driving that extra distance they can either get back on the M20 again and head back for Dooradoyle or be forced out to the Tipperary flyover.

http://www.limericktunnel.com/RouteMap_RossbrienInterchange.html

RouteMap_RossbrienInterchange.html

what school traffic is coming from adare to the dock road? there wont be much outgoing traffic on dock road in mornings so they wont be held up at that junction. and the road into rosbrien is shown as open on that map you link,

what school traffic is coming from adare to the dock road? there wont be much outgoing traffic on dock road in mornings so they wont be held up at that junction. and the road into rosbrien is shown as open on that map you link,

Right I forgot the dock road will have pretty much no traffic in the mornings :rolleyes:

I never mentioned Adare traffic using the dock road either. But there was a lot of traffic coming in the M20/N20 that used the old Roboro exit to get to town for work or school each morning. Your suggestion is for them to drive along the new motorway to the dock road and then come back on the other side of that motorway as you seem to think it will be pretty much traffic free on the dock road with no other traffic for them to get caught up on.

And that Rosbrien interchange does not lead them to getting to where they used to be able to go, so it will be of no benefit to drivers to go out to the dock road to come back on the other side of the new motorway. I suggest you take a spin out by that new Rosbrien interchange and see exactly what roads are actually coming off of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tough titty to them is a very short sighted view though. It affects far more than the few residents who opposed the inbound plans.

I know, thats why I said access should have never been taken away but if anyone else actually that uses that stretch of road had any say it would have remained open.

The fact the residents in said area are so small minded to get rid of it and then realise what a big mistake they made - thats why I am saying tough titty.

Right I forgot the dock road will have pretty much no traffic in the mornings :rolleyes:
    outbound traffic. thats what would slow the roundabout up. a lot of the dock road traiffic will also be lifted by the tunnel
    I never mentioned Adare traffic using the dock road either. But there was a lot of traffic coming in the M20/N20 that used the old Roboro exit to get to town for work or school each morning. Your suggestion is for them to drive along the new motorway to the dock road and then come back on the other side of that motorway as you seem to think it will be pretty much traffic free on the dock road with no other traffic for them to get caught up on.
    If they're heading to town, a roxboro exit isn't essential. In that case, they can exit at dooradoyle, greenfields, dock road, or tipp road. Plenty of options. IF they do need to get to roxboro specifically, they can exit the way I suggested.
    And that Rosbrien interchange does not lead them to getting to where they used to be able to go, so it will be of no benefit to drivers to go out to the dock road to come back on the other side of the new motorway. I suggest you take a spin out by that new Rosbrien interchange and see exactly what roads are actually coming off of it.
    you can't drive on the exit road at present, as the section from the tunnel side isnt open.

a lot of the dock road traiffic will also be lifted by the tunnel

I'm not so sure that it will, because most people I've spoken to are stunned at the fact that it amounts to an extra €850 charge per year.

To be fair, this is incorrect.

The issue isn't the closing of a "route into town" - it's the fact that they didn't factor in the extra bridge required to allow Westbound and Northbound traffic to cross over / under the new motorway.

Eastbound Traffic coming from the Dock Road / tunnel will still be able to turn left into the city at Rosbrien.....it'll be pretty much an extended version of what they have there at the moment to allow traffic from Adare to get into town, except using the Dock Road Roundabout to do the u-turn.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    The fact the residents in said area are so small minded to get rid of it and then realise what a big mistake they made

The fcuking Residents of Carew Park should not have been allowed to plan vital Infrastructure links for our City !!!!

- This is an example of Idiots lobbying Idiots with predictably stooooooopid results.

FFS.

The fcuking Residents of Carew Park should not have been allowed to plan vital Infrastructure links for our City !!!!

- This is an example of Idiots lobbying Idiots with predictably stooooooopid results.

FFS.

I believe this because it is in bold.

Itsdacraic has a mental age of 9, crayons in his nostrils and smells of Squirrel.

I have reported that post.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'm not so sure that it will, because most people I've spoken to are stunned at the fact that it amounts to an extra €850 charge per year.

What's the story re. this €850 Liam? The idea of that toll still irritates me.

- If only there was another way across the Shannon at Mungret......

squirrel_water_skiing-13224.jpg

What's the story re. this €850 Liam? The idea of that toll still irritates me.

If using it for work every day :

2 trips daily = €3.60
    x approx 20 workdays a month = €72
    x 12 months = €864

So, allowing for some holidays, that's between €800 and €864 a year! :eek:

So I can't see it freeing up Limerick from much day-to-day traffic that's, say, going from Raheen to Shannon for work or whatever.

e.g. I work the Clare side at weekends, and I'm gonna use it once when it opens (out of curiousity) and then maybe on the odd weekends that there's some massive match on in Thomond or the Gaelic Grounds.....but I definitely couldn't justify using it every weekend, regardless of any time saved.

€7.20 a weekend x 50 is around the price of my car tax, so I'm certainly not going to double that for the sake of a few minutes here and there !

To be fair, this is incorrect.

The issue isn't the closing of a "route into town" - it's the fact that they didn't factor in the extra bridge required to allow Westbound and Northbound traffic to cross over / under the new motorway.

Eastbound Traffic coming from the Dock Road / tunnel will still be able to turn left into the city at Rosbrien.....it'll be pretty much an extended version of what they have there at the moment to allow traffic from Adare to get into town, except using the Dock Road Roundabout to do the u-turn.

So the road in by Carew park will still have city bound traffic on it then? I was under the impression that it would not have so, hence me disagreeing with Zuroph, wrongfully if it is the case that traffic can go into town that route as long as it goes out of it's way to get there.

It is still pretty poor planning by the so called experts involved in the building though to expect people going one direction to have to go a number of miles in the other direction so that they can drive back to an exit that was literally less than a hundred yards from where they werre at the end of the M20.

And for people not going to town for work or scholl but for the purpose of shopping, why would they even bother making the longer trip just to get to town when they can just start to use the Crescent shopping centre instead and just ignore the town totally? Throw in when William street becomes a single lane and then congestion will just encourage shoppers to avoid the town imho.

So the road in by Carew park will still have city bound traffic on it then? I was under the impression that it would not have so, hence me disagreeing with Zuroph, wrongfully if it is the case that traffic can go into town that route as long as it goes out of it's way to get there.

Yup. From your map [ http://www.limericktunnel.com/RouteMap_RossbrienInterchange.html ] Eastbound traffic will still be able to turn off at the part marked CH1000 and, where the looped part meets that road, either stay going left to go into town, or else veer right to go out to Adare / Cork.
    It is still pretty poor planning by the so called experts involved in the building though to expect people going one direction to have to go a number of miles in the other direction so that they can drive back to an exit that was literally less than a hundred yards from where they werre at the end of the M20.

And for people not going to town for work or scholl but for the purpose of shopping, why would they even bother making the longer trip just to get to town when they can just start to use the Crescent shopping centre instead and just ignore the town totally? Throw in when William street becomes a single lane and then congestion will just encourage shoppers to avoid the town imho.

No argument from here on either point, and considering the state of the Crescent SC / Dooradoyle Road around Christmas, it's a disaster of a junction!

Not to mention that it makes getting coming from the Dublin Road a nightmare for visitors, with no junctions on 2 consecutive roads - Ballyneety or Fedamore, thereby adding to existing traffic on 2 already busy routes....OR the fact that getting onto the Dock Road to go under the bridge and then back up onto the bypass will be a nightmare at the so-called "rush hour".

If using it for work every day :

2 trips daily = €3.60
    x approx 20 workdays a month = €72
    x 12 months = €864

So, allowing for some holidays, that's between €800 and €864 a year! :eek:

So I can't see it freeing up Limerick from much day-to-day traffic that's, say, going from Raheen to Shannon for work or whatever.

e.g. I work the Clare side at weekends, and I'm gonna use it once when it opens (out of curiousity) and then maybe on the odd weekends that there's some massive match on in Thomond or the Gaelic Grounds.....but I definitely couldn't justify using it every weekend, regardless of any time saved.

€7.20 a weekend x 50 is around the price of my car tax, so I'm certainly not going to double that for the sake of a few minutes here and there !

Its more for the trucks coming via limerick, so they can avoid the city, in which case it will lift a lot of the traffic from the dock road. Plus anyone who isnt paying the bill themselves will use it. I've a toll tag on my work van, you can guarantee I'll be using it whenever possible, I'm sure most business traffic will too.

fiver says it'll all be grand. We all cried about the traffic lights at the tipp road junction, and they've improved the traffic there if anything.

• Advertisement

Plus anyone who isnt paying the bill themselves will use it. I've a toll tag on my work van, you can guarantee I'll be using it whenever possible, I'm sure most business traffic will too.

....and then pass on the cost of same to their end-consumers.

Advertisement