Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kindle DX & Irish Times?

Options
  • 06-07-2010 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all,
    I'm looking to get the new Kindle DX, especially with the price drop and enhanced eInk. What would be the icing on the cake would be if I could subscribe to the Irish Times ePaper i.e.

http://irishtimes.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

..it mentions the option to Download for offline reading, but this uses PressReader. My assumption is that the Kindle DX won't handle this, given that Amazon sell a - more expensive - version of the Times themselves. Thing is, the feedback I've read says that Amazons delivers a very unsatisfactory experience e.g. no pictures even thou their iPad versions do etc.

So, is anyone using any version of the DX to subscribe to the Times, either via Amazon or from the Times direct? Much interested to hear your thoughts on what kind of a user experience it entails.

cheers,
    audere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

Sorry, I can only speak for the Sony 505, but I use a free program (calibre), which is an ebook organiser/converter. It can also fetch news for you and upload it to your device. The thing is, afaik, it would be what is on the website itself, not the ePaper. It does do a good job though and has a lot of newspapers available for download.
    With the newpapers I have put on the Sony, it has pictures (in black and white of course).

Mobilereads is a good forum for working things out in relation to ebook readers. Their Kindle section is here

Hope that helps you in someway.

<edit> I just fetched the Irish Times to see what way it comes out. It doesn't appear to download with pictures, and is over 1,000 pages long, so I would guess it downloads from the website somehow. But here is how it lays out (bear in mind this is lrf format, so may be different on the Kindle)

1.jpg

2.jpg

If this suits you ok, might save you a subscription fee :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 audere

....excellent-many thanks for that info! I'm ordering the Kindle DX tomorrow & when it arrives I'll play around to see if I can get papers loaded onto it like you outline. Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

The Irish Times is available to buy directly from the Kindle store: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JJ4A9E?pf_rd_p=499774571&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=2223466011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=12TRTKPRS7D0BNMZK6V1

If you subscribe, it'll be delivered wirelessly every morning at around 06:00, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

lol & one of the reviews for the paper:
    Like others who have reviewed the Irish Times, I got the paper because I wanted to see the world out of the US in non US terms. In English.

I find myself fascinated by life in Ireland and the European stories that never make it into print here. Did you know that Switzerland thinks it's being overrun with German immigrants? Neither did I.

The only thing I miss is having some pictures. They were talking about a house that sold for over a million euros, and without a picture, I couldn't put it into an American context, so I don't know if it was a lot or a little. (they thought it was a lot, but I live in California where even with this mortgage meltdown, a small house goes for easily half a mill.)

I wish the presidential candidates would all read the stories about their health care. It seems really bad.

So, if you want a foreign paper in Englis, I think you'll like this

what BS, houses in Ireland regularly sell for more than 1mill (I doubt an article would have been published on it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Just to clarify on the pictures:

Amazon's blurb says that 'not all' pictures are included implying that perhaps 'some' pictures are.

I took the 14 day free trial and I found that there were NO pictures in any of the editions. No cartoons, no photos, no graphs etc.

Now I know you don't buy the Irish Times to look at pictures (well I do but I'm only three) but they are an aspect of the newspaper and it does lead to a different experience than paper or even epaper. There are no ads, no classifieds, no family announcements either.

If you can live with those limitations, it isn't bad. The Kindle provides a good reading experience and the formatting of the paper is intelligent with a good table of contents and navigation is fairly intuitive. It does seem to include all the magazine articles from the Saturday edition as well.

By the way there is a huge discrepancy in the pricing for US and Irish customers. $5.99 in the US and $22.99 in Ireland. Yikes!

At that pricing it was a bit too much for me as I don't get to read the entire paper every day. You can buy single editions for $1.49 which I think is reasonable and might be handy if you were travelling.

As mentioned all the above is based on a 14 day free trial after which I cancelled. Others with more profound experience may be able to comment further.

• Advertisement
Advertisement