Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tip for Gravediggers

Options
  • 06-07-2010 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Recently a relative of mine died and was buried in Galway. At the graveside, just after the burial finished, the undertaker approached me and said that it was customary to give a 50 euro tip to the gravediggers and that if I gave the money to him, he would pass it on to them (which I did).

Has anyone else ever heard of this custom? What do you think about it? I did find it a bit distasteful but it wasn't the moment to argue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I highly doubt this 'custom' extends back beyond January 1 2002.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

It was very distasteful for the undertaker to approach you like that, picked a great time didn't they:rolleyes:. In regards to the tip yes its fairly common from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

No its not custom. Jesus.

And the undertaker should have more tact than to discuss finances at the graveside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Sorry for your loss.

It's definitely a custom. I'd say it happens always, but in the past Undertakers used to just add it to their bill as an outlay rather than asking for the cash at the graveside.

I'd say this incident is just a sign of the times. Undertakers are probably finding that more people are questioning bills now so they probably will only hand over the tip when they've received it rather than providing credit to the bereaved!

Best just to forget about it if you can, but such things can particularly rankle at a time of heightened emotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

Its not a custom. My Dad's an undertaker, and i've often dug graves.

Its not a custom, and that undertaker deserves to be given no more work if thats the shenanigans he's at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

are the gravediggers hired by the undertaker?
    any of my families funerals the gravediggers are locals and neighbours of the deceased who have volunteered to help with digging the grave. and they are always invited to the gathering after for dinner and drinks to thank them for their hard work

But in fairness, customs can differ from place to place, even within short distances.

For instance in Aran, the relatives fill the grave straight after the burial and all the people wait until the grave is filled. If that happened in Galway City, it'd probably make one of the local rags!

I know that in Rahoon Cemetery gravediggers are always tipped. I've seen hundreds of Undertakers bills (through work - my family aren't accident prone!) and many many of them list tips. I'd trust the Undertakers and wouldn't even contemplate that they're pocketing them.

fifib wrote: »
    are the gravediggers hired by the undertaker?
    any of my families funerals the gravediggers are locals and neighbours of the deceased who have volunteered to help with digging the grave. and they are always invited to the gathering after for dinner and drinks to thank them for their hard work

In Galway City, they're City Council employees afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Its not a custom, and that undertaker deserves to be given no more work if thats the shenanigans he's at

thanks for your input. Nothing I can or want to do about it now but I have been wondering if this practice is widespread (from the above answers it is at least not unknown). I also have no way of knowing if he really did give the money to the gravediggers or if he perhaps asked people other than me for money also.

churchview wrote: »
    In Galway City, they're City Council employees afaik.

yes, I think that that is the case. This burial was in Bohermore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

With the crazy prices of funerals it should be included.
    50 euro seems a lot. Do they even use shovels any more? I thought they moved on to mini excavators?

I think it's disgraceful to claim it's 'customary' to tip a certain amount. 50 euros could be a lot of money to some people, especially when they have just lost someone and have a tonne of other expenses. By all means tip people, but give as much or as little as you want or can, in the end of the day they are getting paid already to do a job, and it's a goddamned cheek to demand 50 euros from someone who has just been bereaved.

I think it's disgraceful to claim it's 'customary' to tip a certain amount. 50 euros could be a lot of money to some people, especially when they have just lost someone and have a tonne of other expenses. By all means tip people, but give as much or as little as you want or can, in the end of the day they are getting paid already to do a job, and it's a goddamned cheek to demand 50 euros from someone who has just been bereaved.

I fully agree with you but it is not easy to refuse under the circumstances.

mike kelly wrote: »
    I fully agree with you but it is not easy to refuse under the circumstances.

Yes, and that's what makes it so insidious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

I;ve been to plenty of funerals in Galway city where the sons of the person filled in the grave themselves. It's not an "aran" tradition and it won't make the "rag papers" because it happens all the time.

Also, never been asked or heard of anyone being asked for a tip.

I;ve been to plenty of funerals in Galway city where the sons of the person filled in the grave themselves. It's not an "aran" tradition and it won't make the "rag papers" because it happens all the time.

Also, never been asked or heard of anyone being asked for a tip.

It happens in Galway City graveyards owned by Galway City Council?

It is an Aran tradition. It could be an anywhere else tradition as well.

Its fairly common down these neck of the woods but obviously its different around your home place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

It was common enough in rural Galway to tip the gravediggers - most of these were friends / neighbours of the deceased, and were not paid by the council. They often had to work in bad weather using just spades and shovels.

The gravediggers in the city are paid by the council, and afaik, all city council employees are not allowed to ask for or take 'tips' for doing their work. They also have mini-diggers for opening a grave.

It's fine if you decide yourself to tip the diggers, but an undertaker in the city should not have asked for one.

dilallio wrote: »
    It was common enough in rural Galway to tip the gravediggers - most of these were friends / neighbours of the deceased, and were not paid by the council. They often had to work in bad weather using just spades and shovels.

The gravediggers in the city are paid by the council, and afaik, all city council employees are not allowed to ask for or take 'tips' for doing their work. They also have mini-diggers for opening a grave.

It's fine if you decide yourself to tip the diggers, but an undertaker in the city should not have asked for one.

Up until a (good) few years ago, rubbish bin collectors used to ask for a tip at Christmas time. The council put a stop to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Any funerals in the city, the gravediggers are City Council staff, out the country, its traditional to 'bury your own', and the diggers always get the few quid, same as the priest.

However, any funeral I've ever been at in Rahoon or New Cemetery, the diggers have been given a tip.

On a side note, is it 2.5x time the diggers get on a Sunday in the city?

http://www.galwaynews.ie/8919-ban-sunday-burials-save-costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

why pay someone to dig a hole when Brian Cowen does it everytime he trys to justify unexplainable expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

mike kelly wrote: »
    Recently a relative of mine died and was buried in Galway. At the graveside, just after the burial finished, the undertaker approached me and said that it was customary to give a 50 euro tip to the gravediggers and that if I gave the money to him, he would pass it on to them (which I did).

Has anyone else ever heard of this custom? What do you think about it? I did find it a bit distasteful but it wasn't the moment to argue.

I'm from the countryside and its the absolute norm for near neighbours to dig the grave. They usually get a few quid from the family, dinner and a pint afterwards for their troubles. The priest and alter boys/girls also get paid a few euro.

To be honest I'd go with what the undertaker said here. He has no doubt dealt with a lot of funerals and would know the in's and out's and what is custom/the norm in any one particular graveyard from another. Some may give the 3/4 grave diggers involved a tip and others may not. I highly doubt he was pocketing the 50 quid for himself. Considering what a burial costs 50 quid is small change to him.

As for the rights and wrong of when he approached you again he is an undertaker and has probably done this countless times before. If it was distasteful or otherwise or people had previously protested I doubt he would be doing it then. The funeral was over, people were standing about, I personally don't see whats wrong with the timing. Its not like he did it in the middle of mass. The funeral is over, the diggers are there and the family is about to depart. When is a good time?

There is a hell of a lot of digging involved in opening a grave and (having done it myself) I don't begrudge anyone a tenner tip for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Just to clarify though - are the grave diggers in this instance getting paid and getting paid handsomely with 2.5 overtime?

As for the rights and wrong of when he approached you again he is an undertaker and has probably done this countless times before. If it was distasteful or otherwise or people had previously protested I doubt he would be doing it then. The funeral was over, people were standing about, I personally don't see whats wrong with the timing. Its not like he did it in the middle of mass. The funeral is over, the diggers are there and the family is about to depart. When is a good time?

When they are asked to organize the funeral, that is their job they should be professional about it and give all details and costs that's what they are paid for.
    The undertaker should know better than to expect someone to fork out €50 at the drop of a hat. It's possible they forgot but FFS let people know all the costs before the funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Ní maith liom do thrioblóid. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

It always struck me as a double whammy to have to cope with the grief of loss, and to simultaneously be faced with the protocol nightmare that is the Irish funeral.

I think the 'timing' is hard to improve on in such circumstances to be fair to the undertaker, but 50E seems like a hefty 'tip'. I thought a pint or two at the pub afterwards was the done thing. Things change I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Just to clarify though - are the grave diggers in this instance getting paid and getting paid handsomely with 2.5 overtime?

Sorry, when I said that in my earlier post, it was intended to be rhetorical.

Yes, that's what they get for a Sunday burial. They may have two burials on a Sunday, and stretch it out from 10am to 4pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Did you ask for a receipt OP and request a vat number ?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Did you ask for a receipt OP and request a vat number ?

to paraphrase a well know Fianna Fail politician "did I fu%k"

somehow I doubt that gravediggers have vat numbers.

I would of course tip country people who helped out at a funeral, city council employees who are already getting paid by the taxpayer is another thing

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

where i come from the first cousins or friends dig the grave , they wouldnt dare ask for tip out of respect of the family, they would go to the pub after and have a few scoups with the family,, im sick at reading your post after the heart ache of losing a family member , then to be confronted by this guy who had no respect for you , even if it is custom he could have waited for few days after, not at the grave. im from the west coast of galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

[QUOTE=Fozzie Bear;66775314

.[/QUOTE

I absolutely disagree about when the asking was done. At the very least, the undertaker should have fronted the fifty to them, and included it in the bill, itemised, or gotten it off the OP later.

A tip is at best discretionary, and to suggest the actual amount *at that time* is way our of line.
    It is a custom which came from unpaid rural friends of family getting a 'thank you' for their loyalty and labour.

For rural burials, absolutely no problem, the diggers were always given an 'envelope' and a few pints and dinner.

For City burials at 2.5 x regular time for Council workers, a token tip each of a fiver seems enough to satisfy 'custom'. I actually think there is a bit of taking an old custom to compensate rural friends of family, and exploiting it to apply to already-paid workers in the City.

It really p**ses me off to see people ask for 'tips' at a time of grief.

Advertisement