Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza Bases

Options
  • 06-07-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Folks, I'm sure at one point in time I saw Tesco selling frozen pizza bases. I can't seem to find them at the moment. Did they ever do them? If not where can I buy pizza bases?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

They sell them in Avoca - and Superquinn I think. TBH it's so easy to make your own, and the difference is amazing (and it's cheaper!). Would you consider giving it a try?
    This recipe is good http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/pizza-dough

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

olaola wrote: »
    They sell them in Avoca - and Superquinn I think. TBH it's so easy to make your own, and the difference is amazing (and it's cheaper!). Would you consider giving it a try?
    This recipe is good http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/pizza-dough

Thanks, I had thought it might be difficult but I'll give it a whirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Thanks, I had thought it might be difficult but I'll give it a whirl.

It's a LOT easier than you think, just takes more time as you have to let the dough do it's thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dacookie

Thanks for the link, yeh those premade pizza bases aint great.Way to hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My tesco are doing pizza base mixtures in the flour/baking section. It is 79cent and makes a 230g base
    Preparation Guidelines

Ingredients: 100ml (4fl oz) hand hot water; pizza topping. Method: 1. Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. 2. Empty contents of one sachet of the pizza mix into a bowl and stir in the hand hot water. Mix to a soft dough then knead well on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes until smooth. 3. Roll out into a circle approximately 20cm (8") diameter. Place on a greased baking sheet and turn up the edges of the base. 4. Leave to stand in a warm place for 10 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the pizza topping of your choice. Spread the prepared topping over the base to within ½cm (¼") of the edge. 5. Cook in the top of the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown. Ensure both topping and base are thoroughly cooked. Once cooked the pizza should be refrigerated and eaten within 24 hours.

I thought these are good value since yeast is so expensive (well relative to the price of cheapo bread it is). 8x7g sachets are €2.66 in tesco, that is 33cent each, when tesco value bread is 800g for 65cent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

rubadub wrote: »
    My tesco are doing pizza base mixtures in the flour/baking section. It is 79cent and makes a 230g base
    Interesting. How many sachets in a packet? i.e. is it 79c per pizza base?
    Sounds like an easy introduction.

Have bought Pizza bases before in an artisan shop and they were fantastic, but worked out really expensive (4 for €10 or something similar).

Made these today. Thought they were going to turn into a disaster, but they were fab. Much better than store-bought muck. Very messy though. A rolling pin certainly would have helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Made these today. Thought they were going to turn into a disaster, but they were fab. Much better than store-bought muck. Very messy though. A rolling pin certainly would have helped!

Actually, it is much easier and better to stretch them.
    Once someone told me that and I abandoned the rolling pin, there was far less cursing when making pizzas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

You can actually freeze pizza base dough. It means you can make a batch at once making it cheaper and quicker for the next time.

If you make double the amount of tomato sauce (or just use dolmio) you can make it very cheap, and very easy.

Also pizza dough is often the same as bread dough.... so break off some of the dough, roll into balls, stick a lump of garlic butter in the middle of each ball. Bake for 10 mins... voila, garlicy rolls to go with your pizza. Its yummm

Actually, it is much easier and better to stretch them.
    Once someone told me that and I abandoned the rolling pin, there was far less cursing when making pizzas!!
    Does that work with Jamie Oliver's recipe above (i.e. only one hour of proofing) or would you have to go with the whole 24 hour proofing to get the right elasticity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

rubadub wrote: »

I thought these are good value since yeast is so expensive (well relative to the price of cheapo bread it is). 8x7g sachets are €2.66 in tesco, that is 33cent each, when tesco value bread is 800g for 65cent

Don't buy the sachets, they're a total rip off. Buy the bigger packet of yeast and keep it tightly sealed in a cool place and it'll work out way cheaper. If you buy the €1 kilos of flour in Aldi too making a pizza base from scratch works out much cheaper than buying a pizza base mixture.

I found this recipe last week and I've yet to try it but it looks great http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2010/07/pizza-dough-037-recipe-009-serving.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Made this for dinner as there was nothing else in the house to eat and I was not wandering out in that rain to do the shopping!
    Threw together some sad looking cherry tomatoes, red onion, bit of red wine and dried spices for the sauce, grated the sad looking bit of chedder that was in the fridge on top.
    GORGEOUS.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Does that work with Jamie Oliver's recipe above (i.e. only one hour of proofing) or would you have to go with the whole 24 hour proofing to get the right elasticity?

I couldn't say for sure as I always do mine overnight or longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Yes it does. However no matter how hard I knock back the dough, it always rises a lot in the oven, so make sure that the dough is wafer thin.

Thanks. Will give it a go, but the family are now getting a bit tired of pizza. :)

This is what I've been using for a pizza sauce by the way (also makes a lovely soup!):
    Red onion + plump clove garlic + Tablespoon of dried Oregano
    Whizz or finely chop, then gently fry in a good dollop of Olive Oil for around 5-10 minutes. Add a large bottle of Passata and a small amount of water (maybe 150ml). Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, then season with some sugar, salt and black pepper to taste. Heat gently until it starts to bubble, then remove from heat and allow to cool before using. Pour any remainder back into the (now-washed!) Passata bottle and it'll keep for a few days in the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

You might find non-frozen pizza bases by a company called DS in the gluten free section of Tesco (or any other supermarket with a gluten free section). Although they're gluten free they taste the same as any other pizza base.

You might find non-frozen pizza bases by a company called DS in the gluten free section of Tesco (or any other supermarket with a gluten free section). Although they're gluten free they taste the same as any other pizza base.
    No offence intended, but I have had the opportunity to taste them a few times, and found them to be revolting. Cardboard and chalk-like are the two words that spring to mind. Having said that, they may have been a different brand, but I have my doubts about any long-life bread-type product that is vacuum -packed in plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rosenallis

you could give this a go?

havent tried it myself, but a friend did and said it came out great

http://www.roma.ie/Products/Pizza-and-Pasta-Flour-17-1.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 10 newbie_84

Hey OP,

Tesco do sell pre-made pizza bases but theyre not frozen.You'll find them in the "Pasta" section where all the roma/dolmio etc sauces and pastas are.
    I use them and they are brilliant for a quick and handy dinner. (But only if you like thin and crispy pizza bases). A ball of mozarella and whatever other toppings you fancy and you're sorted.

Oh and i find that by farrrrrr the best sauce to use is Ballymaloe relish,either the original or the Jalapeno one,if you're after a bit of spice.Not strictly a pasta sauce i know, but unbelievable delicious!!!

Enjoy!!

Advertisement